Q3 50mm crop portraits... anyone have sample images?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm heading to an even next week and I'm debating only taking my Q3.  I haven't used it for any kind of portraiture yet.  Does anyone have any sample images taken wide open at the 50mm crop?  I'm figuring it should be the equivalent of around f/3 at portrait distance.  

This is on an original Q, wide open, from about 1.5 meters, cropped in post, plus the original.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

These are the same original Q, I think uncropped, though #2 may be cropped some in post:

• Like 5

Here’s a couple from a Q2, both cropped to roughly a 50mm perspective 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mhasman said:

Q3 operates with only ~28mm lens. So, no mater how you crop, portraits are not "50mm-like". 

Except for the DOF  (if taken from the same distance you would do with 50mm lens! ) - they actually are...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you plan to take environmental portraits it’s amazing. If you want a 50mm 1.4/1.8 look you’ll be disappointed. Especially when you factor in the terrible frame lines crop mode in camera. It really makes composition harder. If you have another camera and a 50mm lens bring that. Now if you have the luxury of being about to carefully compose people like in a studio I can see that working to an extent. 

• Like 3

With these I was at quite a distance, did not use the "zoom," used spot autofocus on the model, and cropped in post.

• Like 6

More like a 75mm crop on the Q2 @ISO5000 with Enhance/NR in LR

• Like 6

10 hours ago, stuny said:

With these I was at quite a distance, did not use the "zoom," used spot autofocus on the model, and cropped in post.

I really enjoy your images, but those clearly appeared cropped. The latter one, with the rather clear background, becomes a snap due to the clear bg. A tighter lens would have resolved this much better.

The Q is a 28. You can crop, like with any camera. It’s marketing. Don’t be fooled, you don’t need a Q to be able to crop.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Olaf_ZG said:

You can crop, like with any camera. It’s marketing.

Of course! I'm happy cropping with my CL and my DL-109 and my borrowed M10. So what's the problem with being able to crop, except you don't like marketing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The frame lines allow you to compose perfectly within a centred frame. It makes it easier to compose the angles that suit a tighter frame than 28mm which has also had distracting elements.

Alternatively Guessing and Cropping off to the side in software can create a lopsided perspective.

You can have take photos with different frame lines and when it comes to processing, software such as Lightroom will do a soft crop to match.

A practical example is that I take various 28mm photos of live music, I want some 50mm frames too. I choose to do that when taking the photo, I can see the framing and compose for it, when I download the photos at home they keep the framing. 

else I would just have a load of 28mm images and no idea which ones I intended to crop.
The feature is good for my workflow.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Olaf_ZG said:

I really enjoy your images, but those clearly appeared cropped. The latter one, with the rather clear background, becomes a snap due to the clear bg. A tighter lens would have resolved this much better.

The Q is a 28. You can crop, like with any camera. It’s marketing. Don’t be fooled, you don’t need a Q to be able to crop.

??????

If you had not said they were cropped I would not have known, nor could anyone else I would think.  So there is more DOF than if you had used a 50 or so, but how can anyone tell that from the photo?  All you needed to do was stop the 50 down a bit and it would look the same and no one could tell unless you told them.  These are wonderful photos of a very pretty model.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, dancook said:

The frame lines allow you to compose perfectly within a centred frame. It makes it easier to compose the angles that suit a tighter frame than 28mm which has also had distracting elements.

Alternatively Guessing and Cropping off to the side in software can create a lopsided perspective.

You can have take photos with different frame lines and when it comes to processing, software such as Lightroom will do a soft crop to match.

A practical example is that I take various 28mm photos of live music, I want some 50mm frames too. I choose to do that when taking the photo, I can see the framing and compose for it, when I download the photos at home they keep the framing. 

else I would just have a load of 28mm images and no idea which ones I intended to crop.
The feature is good for my workflow.

I never paid attention to this because I usually crop toward the center, but recently had a photo that I took with a path in the center of the frame leading into the distance where there were 5 houses lined up on the horizon.  I thought a better composition was with the path on the thirds line with only three of the houses and it took me a minute to figure out why something looked off.  I'll definitely be more aware of this in the future.