Thinking of getting an M9

tjh1023

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all, I am thinking of picking up an m9 with 90 mm elmarit for 3300 (asking) looks like the sensors been replaced. Little background I’ve owned M8, M240, M10, and a Q2. I’ve regretted selling my Leica cameras. Thinking the M9 would be a fun personal camera and fits my budget nicely. Would also consider an M240, I really like the  colors I’ve seen from the M9. Do you have to have an ir filter like the M8? What should I look for on a used 9. CCD code is 15.

The corrosion free sensors for M9 are CCD ID 15 and 16,  so the M9 you are considering should have no issues on that point.
The M8 really needs UV/IR filters as you will know because you used to have one. The M9 is about 30 times less sensitive to IR if I remember right. With the M9, you could do color without filters, but IMO it gets the easiest and best results with the filters on. Without filters you could experienced somewhat warmer skin tones, but I never saw horrible color changes like purple clothes that were in reality black like you would often have with the M8. Of course for B&W it does not matter at all on the M9.

I still have the M9 as my main M and the M8 as sidekick. It provides for 90% of my needs. No issues focusing any FL up to 135mm and crisp and sharp results with pleasing colors (I usually use UV/IR filters). The shots from the M8 really blend in quite easily, and I consider the M8 as a cropped version of the M9 at base ISO. The M9 is one stop better in low light compared to M8, which is not much by today's standards. It only has 18MP, so less cropping headroom as with my SL for example. And sometimes I would like to have LV or EVF possibilities. Just to expand its usability from 90% to 95% of everything I like to shoot.

I am on the fence in the other direction. My dilemma is if I want/should upgrade my M9 to a newer M... The M11 is way out of budget, and from what I see and read, the M10 is the first sensible option today to replace it, but I think that I will want to use both at the same time for a while before deciding to sell the M9 or not.

11 hours ago, tjh1023 said:

Would also consider an M240

M240 has many "things" M9 can not offer.

As happy user of M240 family ( ...240, 246, 262, M-D) I appreciate the lot as "family" using "same" sensor (+ mono type) and same big battery.

In my use, 24 Mpix is plenty enough (even M9/M8 was enough already).

Good thing is now I can share M practice with my wife.

I've owned M9s since they came out and have always used ordinary UVa filters, never the UV/IR supplied for the M8. The M9 is fine with UVa. Gtreat cameras; I have two and will use them until they fail and are unservicable which hopefully is a long time ahead.

Posted (edited)

I own the M8.2 and M9P - I've never needed the IR filter with the M9. 

With the M8.2, the vast majority of photos I took with it (and I've taken thousands of photos with it over the years), I might only see the purple tint on black a tiny handful of times.  So I never used an IR filter even with the M8.2. The few times it's happened, it's never been a deal breaker. 

I've shot a paid corporate photography gig with the IR filter, photographing the portraits of a large number of staff of that company.  The M8.2 performed very well.

But you said you've owned an M8 before so you probably know how it is. 

Between the M9 and the M240 - if I could have the ISO performance of the M240 in the M9, I'd probably be quite happy with the M9.   

Edited by Lax Jought

As an old M film photographer who thought ISO 400 was very fast, I was very satisfied with my M9 in low light. I still have and use the M9, but now use my M10 most of the time, and do appreciate its higher sensitivity and lower noise at high ISOs.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi. A camera is always a personal decision, but I can discuss my experience.

I first bought an M9 around six months after those were released. It was my first rangefinder, and I have used it for years without issues. About five years ago, it started showing sensor corrosion. The waiting time for sensor replacement was horrible back then, so it went to storage and was replaced with an M6-TTL. Ultimately, I sold the M9 to a gentleman in Miami. I shot film for a few years (and I'm still very much hooked to this day, shooting 70% film / 30% digital) until three years ago, when I started thinking of digital again. 

I bought a 240, 262, and an M10 but didn't bond with them. Back to the store they went. Not until I switched to a new M10-R. What a beauty! I loved that camera, and I still shoot with it regularly.

I kept those two M6 TTL & M10-R.... until I could track the owner of my original M9. Since then, he managed to get the cover filter replaced by Kolari and sported the camera as good as new. How could I resist making an offer? And as of 6 months ago, it's back with me.

Today, my M6 has a permanent spot in my bag... along with my M9. I alternate among other cameras (including the M10-R), but those two are permanently in my hands.

If you can manage it, play with different options until you find your optimal one. Nowadays, there is not much value lost in trading nice cameras back and forth. I hope you make up your mind and find that permanent bond!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I love my M9s, I have 4 all with certified second gen sensors. I think they are as close to shooting film as one can get without actually shooting film (I also have M2 and M4-P) but with the immediacy of digital. I rarely shoot above base ISO and as a long time film shooter the high ISO performance doesn't bother me I'll happily (if needed) use ISO 400 and even 800 (which I never do on film) of course they aren't for everything but what they do well they do very well.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The one on the left has started to play up in cold weather, it struggles to re-cock the shutter so I bought a 4th one (just in case) which ia an M9-P mint condition with certified second gen sensor.

I do still use the old M9 but not in cold weather and it works fine.

Edited by Topsy
  • Like 2

I bought an M9p with a replaced sensor -this is basic, otherwise it’s folly- about four years ago.

I work professionally as a documentary photographer with it paired with an also second hand M10r. They are great to travel light and to be relatively inconspicuous -thankfully and despite legends, not everyone knows what a Leica is-.  I have the 10r to overcome some of the limitations of the 9 when necessary, essentially high ISO capability and focusing. It took me a while to get used to the 10r because I preferred (still do) the color of the 9. I developed my own algorithm to equate files but it took a little while. 

If you can get one on loan and see if you like it. Otherwise the 10r might be a great option. In my case, all cameras are tools but my 9 is a bit beyond that and I intend to keep it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  I just got an M8u in beautiful shape for a 17 year old camera.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, tjh1023 said:

Thanks for the replies.  I just got an M8u in beautiful shape for a 17 year old camera.

I still run my M8u in silver nonetheless, alongside  my m9m and m10r. It’s a fantastic camera. The files have a crispness that no other Leica has imo. Down to the thinner filter. 

Enjoy it!