banding at high ISO

kiwidad

Advertisement (gone after registration)

shooting at 12500 tonightI noticed this banding

Pictures I shot a week ago don't show this.

So things that changed. Updated from firmware 2.01 to 2.02

Sensor cleaning.

I see no banding at 6400 or lower ISO, aperture or shutter speed don't seem to make a difference.

Is this something the firmware introduced or is it a cleaning issue. First time it was cleaned I noticed some spots and it was redone and I was told there was some streaking from  the first cleaning they took care of in the process.

Any thoughts here?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

6 hours ago, kiwidad said:

shooting at 12500 tonightI noticed this banding

Pictures I shot a week ago don't show this.

So things that changed. Updated from firmware 2.01 to 2.02

Sensor cleaning.

I see no banding at 6400 or lower ISO, aperture or shutter speed don't seem to make a difference.

Is this something the firmware introduced or is it a cleaning issue. First time it was cleaned I noticed some spots and it was redone and I was told there was some streaking from  the first cleaning they took care of in the process.

Any thoughts here?

Get off electronic shutter and lower your ISO by opening up your aperture and slowing the shutter speed. 

I’m not sure where it’s useful to use the electronic shutter on an M camera except if you’re trying to shoot f1.2 in the middle of the day outside without an ND filter. 

28 minutes ago, muskyvibes said:

Get off electronic shutter and lower your ISO by opening up your aperture and slowing the shutter speed. 

I’m not sure where it’s useful to use the electronic shutter on an M camera except if you’re trying to shoot f1.2 in the middle of the day outside without an ND filter. 

Shutter is set on hybrid.

shutter speed was 1/180th sec so it used mechanical.

same venue 2 weeks ago and no banding

I was asking because it shows up when you underexpose and puch in post a few stops.

this image was token at 8000 ISO and punched in post 3 stops , equivalent of 320000 ISO. you can see some lines

8 hours ago, kiwidad said:

Shutter is set on hybrid.

shutter speed was 1/180th sec so it used mechanical.

same venue 2 weeks ago and no banding

That’s okay. Just do the other things I said and it’ll go away. You need a lower ISO setting or don’t brighten up the image in post. Leave it dark. It looks like your typical high iso noise banding when the image is dark and you push it a lot to brighten it. 

Edited by muskyvibes

1 hour ago, muskyvibes said:

That’s okay. Just do the other things I said and it’ll go away. You need a lower ISO setting or don’t brighten up the image in post. Leave it dark. It looks like your typical high iso noise banding when the image is dark and you push it a lot to brighten it. 

Problem here is it’s dark and I need that iso to get a usable image. I shot the same venue a week or so back and didn’t get the banding. I haven’t compared exposure setting a week ago to last night other than iso but there is no post brightening here it straight out of camera. I also had something weird happen where the default profile reset as well so something else might have changed. 

something definitely changed, curious to figure out what. Is shot the same club with my m10 at high iso and got no banding! I took  some test shots in a dark room and there is definitely visible sanding over 6400 iso which wasn’t previously there. 

one of my other issues is the m11 seems much more susceptible to shake so it’s higher iso or blur!

The OP said he did not push exposure if i understand well. Never seen this out of my M11 so far. Here at 12500 iso under current 2.0.2 firmware with 2 stops push in PP. I would look for details about the streaks coming from the previous sensor cleaning allegedly.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-9tF6Brr/0/9d0a5d7e/X4/i-9tF6Brr-X4.jpg

1 hour ago, kiwidad said:

one of my other issues is the m11 seems much more susceptible to shake so it’s higher iso or blur!

Well documented issue coming from the lack of IBIS on an high res sensor. Simple fix is to choose faster shutter speeds. In auto iso mode i set the shutter speed limit to 1/(2f)s personally. Not that bad for a grandfather with steady hands admittedly.

The shot below was at 16,000 ISO, but before the firmware update (just posted in another thread, sorry for 'spamming'). I haven't noticed any change since the FW update but I'm shooting a music gig in a "black hole" tonight so I'll see how it goes :)

I've always found with any camera super high iso to be a bit of a crap shoot in regards to banding etc. One does have to 'nail' the exposure, and/or crush the blacks in post, and even though they are a revolution in lighting for photographers, LED stage lights can introduce funny artifacts at times. I seriously doubt a firmware upgrade is at issue, and there is some factor between shoots the o.p. might be overlooking, but then again with this camera who knows....

I just tried an ISO 12,500 picture with M11 and FW 2.0.2. Here's a 100% screenshot from Lightroom and I don't see any banding. But a lot can depend on the light. I would say your issue is the light and the scene, not FW 2.0.2.

• Like 2