A catch-22 paradoxical situation regarding expired films

Erato

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I found myself in a dilemma and really didn't know what to do for the best. I still kept around 30 rolls of films including negative and reversal(slide) color films in an aging status during early 2000 to 2010. Should I use it or simply just purchase a new pile of film?

I noticed the down side of losing color accuracy and more grainy produced than expected even though I set the ISO(in half or so) properly, but it seems that those films still generated an acceptable result during the experiment in the past few months.

My question is, should I use them until the last roll or perhaps I should purchase a brand new series to get the best outcome?

Your comments would be highly appreciated.

Heartfelt thanks,

Raymond

Edited by Erato

• Erato changed the title to A catch-22 paradoxical situation regarding expired films
3 hours ago, Erato said:

I found myself in a dilemma and really didn't know what to do for the best. I still kept around 30 rolls of films including negative and reversal(slide) color films in an aging status during early 2000 to 2010. Should I use it or simply just purchase a new pile of film?

I noticed the down side of losing color accuracy and more grainy produced than expected even though I set the ISO(in half or so) properly, but it seems that those films still generated an acceptable result during the experiment in the past few months.

My question is, should I use them until the last roll or perhaps I should purchase a brand new series to get the best outcome?

Your comments would be highly appreciated.

Heartfelt thanks,

Raymond

sort through them, keep some, use some and replace some, expired films look nice and "organic"

• Thanks 1

How did you keep them?
Start by putting them in a sealed bag and keep them in the freezer. This will stop the aging process, but will not reverse it of course.

Then take them out a day(few hours)  before use.

• Thanks 1

I have a number of rolls of Ektachrome 64 with expiry date of July 1979. I keep them in the freezer and used a roll two months ago and the results were more than satisfactory. Black and white film is even more long lasting and I am still using some Verichrome Pan with an expiry date of October 1966. 

• Thanks 2

Shoot a fresh roll and compare it with the old roll. Only you can decide if there is a difference, but there's not much point in compromising your work if the old roll is clearly inconsistent, but equally there's no point in throwing away good old film if it still works. It's not unknown for photographers to embrace the idiosyncrasies of old film and prefer it, I guess it's an adventure, or a gamble, or it throws something exciting up that's an inspiration.  

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Agfa APX 25, bought arounf 1995, found is a box in garage (humid, hot and cold temp for many many years) together with outdated Rodinal (dark brown).  Shot in 2020, rated ISO 25, developed in outdate Rodinal, 150:1, stand development.

Besides APX 25, i also found a lot of other outdated films, including Kodak Verichrome (B&W), Fujifilm Velvia, and Kodak Color Negatives.  All B&W work extremely well, Color Nagives are much more than acceptable with careful color balance. Didn't try E6 as the developer is much more expansive than worth the trouble.     

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

...still got some 40-odd rolls of long-expired Kodachrome 64 in my freezer, the last of Dwayne's stock c. 2009/10. No idea why I haven't cleared them out - it's not like K-14 is even remotely on the cards anywhere. You never know, though, so they're chilling. 😬

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2023 at 8:33 AM, maxfairclough said:

I wouldn't want to die curious, so I would shoot them anyway. 

Thank you so much for such a good idea. I've passed this stage previously. And it went well indeed. Maybe I should follow your idea to killing more cats.😂

22 hours ago, frame-it said:

sort through them, keep some, use some and replace some, expired films look nice and "organic"

This portion is an experiment that has been done earlier. I'd push this stage a bit further. Thank you so much for your suggestion.😃

21 hours ago, dpitt said:

How did you keep them?
Start by putting them in a sealed bag and keep them in the freezer. This will stop the aging process, but will not reverse it of course.

Then take them out a day(few hours)  before use.

Some of them were kept in the freezer properly. A part of them was given to me by my friend and the result was less good as those films store in the freezer. 😃

18 hours ago, Matlock said:

I have a number of rolls of Ektachrome 64 with expiry date of July 1979. I keep them in the freezer and used a roll two months ago and the results were more than satisfactory. Black and white film is even more long lasting and I am still using some Verichrome Pan with an expiry date of October 1966. 

Congratulations on the outstanding result according to your experience. I believe that the freezer is the crucial process for keeping those films vivid and stunning.😃

18 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

Agfa APX 25, bought arounf 1995, found is a box in garage (humid, hot and cold temp for many many years) together with outdated Rodinal (dark brown).  Shot in 2020, rated ISO 25, developed in outdate Rodinal, 150:1, stand development.

Besides APX 25, i also found a lot of other outdated films, including Kodak Verichrome (B&W), Fujifilm Velvia, and Kodak Color Negatives.  All B&W work extremely well, Color Nagives are much more than acceptable with careful color balance. Didn't try E6 as the developer is much more expansive than worth the trouble.     

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You've just demonstrated the best development against expired films. But I regret to tell you that I don't have much time to perform the darkroom process due to the time management, and I don't have a darkroom at the moment. Thank you so much for such a great demo to encouraging me to take more film photographs.😃

10 hours ago, spydrxx said:

My guess is that the film will be ok. I'd most definitely give it a try, and as I use up the stock, I'd begin replacing with fresh rolls, which I'd put in the freezer. I've done this for many years. Best of luck.

I feel the same too. I'd write it to my permanent memory from now on. Thank you so much for sharing such precious experience to me.😃

4 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

Should we have a special thread for pictures taken with outdated film? the older the better.

A bit off topic. But it's a great idea indeed. I'd leave this to other talents. Thank you so much for sharing your ideas with us.😃

3 hours ago, aesop said:

...still got some 40-odd rolls of long-expired Kodachrome 64 in my freezer, the last of Dwayne's stock c. 2009/10. No idea why I haven't cleared them out - it's not like K-14 is even remotely on the cards anywhere. You never know, though, so they're chilling. 😬

Envy!!! Kodakchrome 64 is a film that I have never had the chance to experience the beauty of. It's a legendary and phenomenal film for most of us.😃

Edited by Erato
revised