Occasional unreadable dng

Eesand

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Using proper so card, and after upgrade, shooting in dng mode only, the first click after powering the camera up produces a corrupt dng file, both m11 and m11m. Only the first click all others just fine. I wonder whether power up takes longer or something. Anyone else?  Given it doesn’t do it every time, I am guessing about it not being quite ready even though it seems to be.  Likely sometimes after power up and first click will be a longer time, naturally  

thanks!

Edited by Eesand
  • Like 1

I’m having the same issue but not specifically the first image after turning in. I had 1 of over 1,000 experience the corrupt dng issue. More often I am seeing load time of image review be very slow.

Take a pic or two bring it down from eye, click play, get a black screen with file number, wait about 5 sec and click play again to see. This seems to be happening randomly but often, sometimes it loads right away.

sd card is SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO UHS-II SDXC from B&H

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You could try using a smaller and/or slower card. The super fast and roomy cards are known to draw much power from the battery. This was a prominent problem with the M9 and could occasionally plague the M (Typ 240) with its much larger battery.

1 hour ago, DrM said:

Same experience here. Missed a couple of shots this way.. Also SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO UHS-II SDXC. Three Sandisks, anybody else with a Sandisk or another brand?

Been using 3 Sandisk cards with the M11 (detail below).
No problem under firmwares 1.6.1 and 2.0.1 so far.
All my cards are formatted with SD Card Formatter though.
UHS1 Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s (64gb)
UHS1 Sandisk Extreme Pro 170mb/s (256gb)
UHS2 Sandisk Extreme Pro 300mb/s (64gb)

Edited by lct

Every freeze I've had, M10M, M11, M11M, has been attributable to my pushing the PLAY button while the camera was still in process with something. Everything got better when I slowed down half a beat.

Instant Review is something of a bad habit for the kind of shooting I like to do. I'll miss shots looking down at the back of my camera. Pretend it's film. Shoot now, review and edit later. 

Edited by DadDadDaddyo
  • Like 2

With an M11-P, and shooting very quickly after I have switched power on, I get valid shots if I wait until the liveview VF2 image is up (I'm using a 24/2.8).  If I shoot before liveview is ready (1/2 to 2 secs) the shutter fires and I sometimes get an image, sometimes not.  If I shoot as quickly as possible after powering on, the shutter doesn't fire.

I don't call this a bug.  I think it is a good reason to leave the power on when there are  pictures about.  Battery life is incredible on the M11s.

• Like 1

I concur on a fix needed ASAP, missed images not acceptable, seen some other bugs, too, for example, if one reloads a stored profile which changes iso, you gotta power off and on the camera to actually see the changed iso.  Also, without a lens on, with camera powered on, shutter will click open and closed kinda randomly..

19 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

With an M11-P, and shooting very quickly after I have switched power on, I get valid shots if I wait until the liveview VF2 image is up (I'm using a 24/2.8).  If I shoot before liveview is ready (1/2 to 2 secs) the shutter fires and I sometimes get an image, sometimes not.  If I shoot as quickly as possible after powering on, the shutter doesn't fire.

I don't call this a bug.  I think it is a good reason to leave the power on when there are  pictures about.  Battery life is incredible on the M11s.

the bug is that its letting you shoot when its not ready

17 minutes ago, dscdsc said:

the bug is that it's letting you shoot when its not ready

I think so, too.  But I'd like to know if there are missed shots or unreadable files seen when the camera has been powered on for much longer than the 2 seconds needed for startup?  Anyone?

And were such problems possibly a result of rapidly shifting between shooting and review modes?

I've posted something similar before but...

Try typing 'Canon unreadable', 'Nikon unreadable', 'Fujifilm unreadable', or any other digital camera name followed by the word 'unreadable' into Google. 

It's possible we have a tendency to think that Leica needs to solve problems that occasionally beset users of every known camera make and SD card. Or, if Leica doesn't fix it, to mark it down as yet another failing on Leica's part, an outrage, given the cost of a Leica. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DadDadDaddyo said:

I've posted something similar before but...

Try typing 'Canon unreadable', 'Nikon unreadable', 'Fujifilm unreadable', or any other digital camera name followed by the word 'unreadable' into Google. 

It's possible we have a tendency to think that Leica needs to solve problems that occasionally beset users of every known camera make and SD card. Or, if Leica doesn't fix it, to mark it down as yet another failing on Leica's part, an outrage, given the cost of a Leica. 

I've had maybe 10 unreadable/corrupted DNGs total from my M10, M10-P, and M10-D over the past several years. I also did not have any corrupt DNGs on my M11 over the past year and half. It wasn't until the 2.0.1 update that I got not just a few unreadable DNGs but entire cards corrupted.

• Like 1