M10 R occasional images are corrupt

bellaluca

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone had issues with their image files like this? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

What are they, the two SD cards ?

As JD wrote, for me also SD card .

Try this : buy another new reputed brand SD or SDHC, format in computer to see if everything is correct,

use the formated card in the M, then if there is always the problem, see with Leica Services.

Edited by a.noctilux

I have been plagued with corrupt files like this in the past, most always when using Lexar SD cards.  It was not an occasional file - if I made 150-175 images, usually 25-35 would be corrupt files.  Apparently my M-P 240 doesn't like Lexar  cards.

Nowadays, I will only use SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO UHS-I SDXC cards in my M-P 240, M10 Mono and Q2.  Once in a while I will get a few corrupt files - as in maybe 5 out of a shoot of 300 images.  I do not know why this still happens, but it is a VAST improvement over the living hell that Lexar cards caused.

I used the SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO UHS-I SDXC cards recently to make 3680 images from 10 different concerts of a music festival over a three day period and had zero corrupt files. 

Moral of the story:  Avoid Lexar memory cards like a vampire avoids the beach on a sunny day.

Edited by Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had the same.

It happened when I connected an SD card reader to my Ipad, as a method to store images while on vacation. The loading went so slow (not always) so I disconnected the card after about 15 minutes. I saw some files were bad copied. When I imported the same file later in LR Mobile, that went well.

• It was not a card issue.

After that mistreatment I selected smaller batches for transfer  and let them finish.

All images that were 'in transit' - several files are copied at the same time  by the file management system - were concatenated. So about 10 of the 200 images were damaged. Some had a band, and looked like a barber shop sign like your third, one had a grey band.

I got some pretty abstract works this way. Some I recovered after I saw it - by copying those files again. It circumstantial was with a Lexar card. But that is not the culprit.

see:

The next I added a NIK-polaroid effect because it fitted so well, it now looks like a failed Polaroid development. Imagine. My own abstract expressionism generator. [When at school, I 'painted' like this a few times.]

Edited by Alberti
  • Like 1

Hello- Thank you for responding.  Did you see banding issues and the corruption also on your  Leica camera LCD screen ?  What is strange is most I also saw in the camera on the LCD screen, and them more showed up when transferred card to LR.  

vor 2 Stunden schrieb bellaluca:

Hello- Thank you for responding.  Did you see banding issues and the corruption also on your  Leica camera LCD screen ?  What is strange is most I also saw in the camera on the LCD screen, and them more showed up when transferred card to LR.  

Some weeks ago I saw similarly corrupted photos after copying to my computer.

However, on the screen of the camera all photos were looking fine.

I thus copied a second time and had no issues. Seemed to be an issue of the process of copying.

Avoid Lexar with any camera. I am working as a photographer in NYC for 20 years on digital. All my college stories about image corruptions came down to Lexar. 

On top of that there so many fake Lexar card on the market that are selling in all the usual stores. 

Data corruption can happen from card reader or defective drive. You can try to fix it with spinrite software and stop using them if you can. Occasionally it is the cameras problem but probably not

• 1 year later...

I've just experienced this same problem for the first time with my M10-R, using the scandisk extreme pro card that others here have recommended. About a quarter of my photo files were corrupted.

The one factor I thought worth mentioning was that I was outside in minus 1 or 2 degrees temperature. But then later images taken indoors were also corrupted. Maybe the damage was done by the cold?

25 minutes ago, Timajo said:

I've just experienced this same problem for the first time with my M10-R, using the scandisk extreme pro card that others here have recommended. About a quarter of my photo files were corrupted.

The one factor I thought worth mentioning was that I was outside in minus 1 or 2 degrees temperature. But then later images taken indoors were also corrupted. Maybe the damage was done by the cold?

I had this issues with my m11, i was told probably the sdcard reader, try to retransfer again? See if it changes anything

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jakontil said:

I had this issues with my m11, i was told probably the sdcard reader, try to retransfer again? See if it changes anything

I had not considered it might be the reader (my card reader device is pretty cheap/basic but has always worked in the past).
Unfortunately I tried reformatting the card - so will have to wait to try this idea once I have more images / and some sign of corrupt files.

I've had the card/camera for 2 years and used them a lot. This is the first time I've had this issue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the trouble of buying a new memory card (Kingston canvas react) and every one of the 97 images I took around Liverpool yesterday is corrupted. Very depressing.

Wondered if it might be the card reader - so downloaded one DNG image using Leica FOTOS app (see below). Interestingly, the small jpg version of the same image the camera can download was not corrupted. 

All the images preview correctly in the camera - so I have a vague hope they can be saved. I'm thinking this camera has to go back to Leica. I thought when I bought it this it would be my dream bit of kit and a life long friend. Will I ever be able to trust it again, even after it's fixed? 

From my posts of 'work' in post #7 made by incorrect handling, in 2021,  I can say that:

• it is not the card nor the camera card slot.

-The problem never happened after this one time on holiday

-->  It happened because I was transferring contents to an iPad and after about 15min I thought, well it should be ready - (there is no status window).

But copying was still going on, and the copy software works on several files at the same time evidently (giving a pass everytime to fill in more gaps, untill the whole file is copied, or something like that). 

I was stuck with this abstract result because I afterward emptied the card without checking. So my question is: do these results show up in the camere (very very probably no) or only after copying (probably yes). 

M10-R
An update from me.

I've emailed some sample images to my local Leica dealer. He has sent them to Germany for their theories.

But to be clear
I've tried 2 memory cards Kingston and Sandisk (the Sandisk had worked fine for years).
I've tried downloading through a card reader (again worked fine for years)
I've tried downloading via the leica FOTOS app.
I've tried downloading onto a new Mac, an my regular PC (again, has worked fine for years).
I've tried before and after a firmware update. Same problems.

The mini jpg images from a FOTOS download are fine. The images in camera seem fine. 
But once you take them out of the camera - corrupt!

I'll report back what Leica have to say.

• 6 months later...

Just and update on the problem with corrupted images. I sent the camera away for repair in Germany via the Leica Manchester store. That was back in February. It came back at the end of July. They blamed Brexit for the length of time it took, which I can believe up to a point. The good news was the amount of work and a replaced sensor. The check list of work was many items long. Quite amazed by that. All free. Still don't understand what caused the problem but they have definitely fixed it. My warm feelings toward Leica have returned.  

Edited by Timajo