Curious about the LEITZ (LEICA) 135mm f/2.8 with goggles

Trutta

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Starting to venture out of my comfort zone of wide angle lenses. I hoping to get some questions answered. I shoot a M1, so no rangefinder and only 35 and 50mm frame lines. The prices for this lens is really attractive so it might be worth the gamble. I just shoot using the lens for everything I do. I read that with the goggles it gives the 90mm frame lines equivalent to 135. What effect would it have on 50mm lines on the M1, would it be a step to 90mm? Or would it be non relevant to the 50 and just give a focus for the 135mm through the viewfinder? 
once again thanks guys!!

I don't have M1 but I can confirm that the auto indexing of this 2.8/135 is 90 framelines and combining with the x1.5 VF device can comfortably

help framing more accurately.

I don't know if frame "auto indexing" works on M1, if so no framelines (90 not present)

If your M1 don't have 90 framelines, you can guess the framing as you can guess  the focussing.

20 hours ago, Trutta said:

Starting to venture out of my comfort zone of wide angle lenses. I hoping to get some questions answered. I shoot a M1, so no rangefinder and only 35 and 50mm frame lines. The prices for this lens is really attractive so it might be worth the gamble. I just shoot using the lens for everything I do. I read that with the goggles it gives the 90mm frame lines equivalent to 135. What effect would it have on 50mm lines on the M1, would it be a step to 90mm? Or would it be non relevant to the 50 and just give a focus for the 135mm through the viewfinder? 
once again thanks guys!!

Because you do not have a rangefinder, I think the main issue will be to focus your 135mm correctly. Unless you use a tape measure (or external RF) and use the meter scale on the lens as a guide, I do not see how you could get acceptable results. DOF at f2.8 will be very small.

Framing is fairly easy. Just use the focusing patch and imagine a frame that is three times the with and height of the patch around it.

I have the 135 Elmarit (with goggles). It is a fine lens if rather clunky – these days I occasionally use it withy M-P(240) and the EVF, or with the SL2. I do not imagine trying to use this lens with the M1, maybe it would work for images made at infinity, but anything closer and the likelihood of getting any image in focus is close to nil.

Thanks guys, I think it would work for landscapes at hyperfocal focusing, unfortunately I’m not into portraits so it would be used for that, I can see where the trouble would start without a coupled rangefinder for middle range and closer points of focus. But my original query was the effect on the frames with the goggles magnification.

Edited by Trutta

In this case it would work without focussing at all.

Just set the lens at infinity stop then enjoy.

Framing loose can be done with the "whole" M1 viewfinder ( so with the x1.5 use, of course ).

I just had a look how close is the 50/75 framelines, on my M-A with field selector.

In this case, no frameline visible, I think it's the same as your M1.

Then you can see after some "calibration" ( real use with some tests ) how the framing is with your M1.

Have fun.