grousing about Leica repair

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I sent my Q3 to Leica repair after getting a System Error screen at startup which prevents me from doing anything else (tried the usual steps including replacing SD card, removing/replacing battery, etc.), and it's been at Leica going on 5 weeks. When I called yesterday to find out status, the Leica customer "care" person wouldn't lift a finger to find out where I am in the repair que and told me I'd just have to wait. I asked how long typically and she said 6 weeks from the time it was logged in by repair (which was a couple of days after it was received at Leica) but she said that time could be delayed if the new board (as already diagnosed by the repair department and noted on my ticket) they need to fix it isn't available when they're ready to work on it.

Spending $6K on a camera that craps out after a couple of months use, followed by a repair department that moves at the speed of molasses running uphill probably because they're too chintzy to hire more repair people is pretty crappy. Unfortunately they've got me by the short hairs so nothing I can do other than come here to whine.

• Like 1

Agreed. 

In contrast, my other camera (a Fuji GFX 100) needed a repair, and it was in and out of the repair station and back in my hands within a week. 

In my opinion, with the exception of rare cases, 6 weeks repair time for this expensive camera is unacceptable. 

It is awful. But I think you are still in the "normal" zone when it comes to Leica repairs. Some people's repairs take many months. Film M repairs are up to a year at this point I believe. I don't think it is acceptable, but also Leica does not seem to be making it a priority to fix it. You have three main options: get out of the Leica system, buy a backup that can do the job when one thing is in repair, or wait for it to get finished without a camera. I think complaining to the executive branch at Leica may be worth it as well, so that the problem keeps confronting them.  It was always bad (at least in the last 25 years), but it has seemingly become even worse in the last few years.

I would be really happy with a six week repair time given my experience of Leica repairs. I purchased a new SL75 APO lens that broke a few months after purchase. It was 10 weeks  being fixed. The same lens broke again last September. I sent it for repair on 14th September and it was 11th Jan before it was returned. I was then out of the country and could not take delivery of it for another 10 days. Not impressed by the time it took or the fact that such an expensive lens should develop two completely different faults after minimal and careful use. The phrase ‘expensive junk’ springs to mind…

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 hours ago, Steven Lane said:

the phrase ‘expensive junk’ springs to mind…

yes it does

there's a side of me that I should just cut my losses when it comes back, sell it while I can get most of my purchase price back (instead of waiting for it to break again after used prices have dropped), and then get the Sony A7cII with a pancake lens and call it a day.

On 2/3/2024 at 10:39 AM, Le Chef said:

Just be grateful you don’t need a repair on a Patek Philippe or Lange watch. You can wait a year for a service to be completed. And you’re looking watches that cost $30,000 and up.

Patek Philippe notwithstanding, expensive (or luxury) didn’t equate to bad service. I really doubt too many (or any) Porsche or Mercedes owners would tolerate a six week or longer service or repair time on their cars. And these cars have many more parts than our humble Leicas. 

Yes, Leica, bite the bullet and hire more people. 

Edited by E.H.
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have a call with their service manager on Monday.   the people that work there are nice but its completely ridiculous how customer have to deal with lack of transparency and the “just keep waiting”. I had to send my camera in due to the shutter button no longer half pressing.  I sent the camera in and it was almost a full week before it was checked in, I feel like it was my phone call that got it checked in because it was just sitting there.   I was able to get a loaner which was really nice, i sent it back early so there was no delay getting my camera back thinking that it would be checked in and my camera would be sent back right away once the repair was completed.   Luckily I called when I got the “your camera is ready email” and they said ok great just sent back the loaner and we will ship this out.  When i told them I already sent it back there was a whole “well we need to find it before we can send your camera back”.  This is where I had really had enough, i had provided them with the tracking info when I sent it.  Even called to confirm that they received it but someone must have forgotten to check it in and it was loaned out to someone else so its a good thing I kept the tracking number.  How is that a customers responsibility?

1/11/24 sent camera in from a Leica store (not sent that day, they were waiting for more cameras to come in before they ship it, I tell them I’ll come get it and send it myself and they promise to send it that day)
1/16/24 camera arrived at Leica in NJ
1/22/24 camera checked in for repair (I called and asked if they had my camera, was told “its probably in a box we didn’t check in yet, but we will go look now”)
2/20/24 camera completed
2/21/23 camera shipped back

the concerning thing for me right now is that there is no mention of my shutter button being replaced.  A printed circuit board was replaced, apparently that is the sensor.  I never received the invoice on what was being repair till the camera was shipped back.   I asked if they could verify if the shutter button works “the technicians are very good and won’t miss that” .  When I asked if the part replaced would resolve a shutter button issue, they have no idea they aren’t technicians.   But, wouldn’t go out of their way to check with the technician and was told if there is a problem when I get it back, just send it back in.   Are you kidding me……. So I get the camera tomorrow and am hoping its fixed.

This whole process is really awful, and hate to feel like I’m complaining but I feel like this could and should be handled better.   

• Like 1