New SL2 - what M lens?

gazza19

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, after, (too?), much research decide to order an SL2 as a replacement for my M11. My 66 year old eyes just can’t cope with my beloved M cameras and fast grandchildren anymore, 50% out of focus is disheartening.

So, received a nice silver SL2 today and a 35mm SL autofocus lens which takes care of the grandchildren issue, however what small compact M lens to get that will cover the “always wear a camera” when I’m out and about outside? Always has Summilux’s but probably don’t need too fast a lens for outside/street?

thoughts please

• Like 2

I have a few autofocus lenses for my SL2-S, but, for a small, compact, general walk around lens when I need my manual focus fix, then I love using the M-Summicron 50mm. Old school lens, brilliant EVF; magic combination. Enjoy whatever you choose. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Chris Nebard
  • Like 8

Do not forget the R lenses. Even with the slightly larger adapters they are quite compact.

I took out my Leica 35mm–70mm f/4 Vario-Elmar-R with good results on my SL. And it gives me more flexibility in a package smaller than many of the SL primes, let alone the SL zoom lenses.

An other favorite of mine on the SL is the Leica 90mm Summicron R. Very compact for a fast 90mm.

I do not bother much about differences between ROM or non-ROM mount because I use a 'dumb' URTH adapter R-L.

Edited by dpitt
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, gazza19 said:

Hi, after, (too?), much research decide to order an SL2 as a replacement for my M11. My 66 year old eyes just can’t cope with my beloved M cameras and fast grandchildren anymore, 50% out of focus is disheartening.

So, received a nice silver SL2 today and a 35mm SL autofocus lens which takes care of the grandchildren issue, however what small compact M lens to get that will cover the “always wear a camera” when I’m out and about outside? Always has Summilux’s but probably don’t need too fast a lens for outside/street?

thoughts please

All great ideas posted above but what was your "always wear a camera" lens when you had the m11?  Frankly would stick to what you used most on the m11, if you were happy there, you will be delighted focusing on it through that beautiful view finder.  

Since you did ask, my preference would be 35mm...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gazza19 said:

thoughts please

Based on 35 seems to be your focal length of choice, and you’re used to using the Summilix lenses, I would choose the new 35 Lux FLE II. The close focus feature of this lens will be perfect with the SL2.

Or get the autofocus Sigma 35 f/2 from their small metal lens series with the manual aperture rings. 

2 hours ago, gazza19 said:

I’ve been looking at a 50mm Summicron v4 with the concave finger tab and ventilated hood. I think it would look pretty vintage on the silver SL2.

Anyone have experience with that lens?

gazza19, my 50mm Summicron V5 works well on my Silver SL2 by taking care of the focus shift @ f/4 (in the central area). BTW, a silver M lens (with silver M-L adapter) would look very nice on your new camera. Here's my silver SL2 & 35mm Summilux FLE V1:

• Like 3

I can't focus the 135 on a rangefinder, but get excellent results on the SL2.  I also get excellent results with my 90 f2.  The other lens I've used is my 24 zone focused for interiors.  The stabilization helps in low light cathedrals. 

Any M lens works very nicely on the SL2 — mine include the WATE, 35 and 50 Summicron, 90 Macro-Elmar and 135 Elmarit (quite the 'look' given the 'eyes'). However, one really needs to focus wide open and then close the aperture to the desired one, so that can be an issue. By and large, I prefer the M lens on M bodies. 

Summilux 35mm 11874 with SL2-S while travelling.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, gazza19 said:

I’ve been looking at a 50mm Summicron v4 with the concave finger tab and ventilated hood. I think it would look pretty vintage on the silver SL2.

This guy certainly has: 

On 10/19/2023 at 4:20 PM, gazza19 said:

I have one. I like tabbed lenses in general, mostly because of the quick focusing and 'memory' of the position of the tab. It allows you to pre-focus a bit before you bring the camera to your eye.

I mostly value it because it is a v4, so a bit smaller and lighter than the v5 and with the same performance. Also, I use it without sunhood most of the time and I prefer the traditional clip on sunhood when I need one, compared to the flimsy built in hood of v5.

I just happened to find this version with a concave tab. I would not mind a convex tab. It is something I got used to, but maybe it is a bit harder to feel the focus position accurately than with a knob or convex tab. On the 50mm it is no issue because DOF is too small anyway so you always have to adjust a bit with the RF once your eye is on the VF. But with a 35mm or even 40mm I would prefer a convex one or even a knob like with the Summicron 40 C. If you just use the tab to make focusing faster and smoother when using the RF patch, then the concave tab feels better than the convex one.

One Apo SL Lens is  good idea. My favourite would be the APO SL 35 Summicron and the VE 90-280 but I read you already have an SL mount 35 lens. My favourite M lens is the 21 Super Elmar which works really well with SL2/S, easy to focus always sharp, I am looking at the 28 Summilux M lens at the moment to compliment the 21 and 35 mm lenses

• Like 3