The F-word

microview

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a few fuji's before I got my M10.

Image quality is fine, haptics ok. I hated the viewfinder, and the red highlights for manual focusing. 
I didn't like the autofocus, I didn't like having to go through menus to get the kind of autofocus I might need at any moment. 

With the M10 P, I have a complete studio in my bag all day, every day : a 28 or a 35, an Elmar 90, and a 50 Summilux on the camera.

Light enough, yet very capable.

Cheers!

The switch makes complete sense to me. At 73, I would certainly welcome AF and the lighter weight. I find Fujis a real pleasure to work with. And I feel their BW output is particularly good. 

Although an X100 or X-Pro, with the optical OVF and frame lines would be my preference. 

David Hurn made this change when he grew old. And he’s still at it with his Fujis. Whatever keeps you engaged….

John

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I have Fuji (GFX100II), I had many Fuji's. Sold my X-T5 to switch to M11-P after shooting with Q2M for a year. Image wise - Fuji is good, but definitely short of Leica's full frame, though differences are small when viewing on screen. Biggest difference is the experience itself. I would say X-Pro3/X100V is closest with it's hybrid VF and if had to switch to Fuji, I would choose X-Pro3 or X100V, but both of these are to be updated sometime not too far next year. 

I would suggest going with Q3 for the feel and AF, if 35 ir 50 lenses are your choice, then Xpro3 or X-T5. Fuji has amazing 33mm 1.4 lens.

Weight of Fuji. The autofocus on X-T5 is good, but it is very different to a rangefinder and is an APS camera (though unless you are making big prints then would you notice the difference on screen? If you are tempted by the longer lenses, then some of these are heaver than the camera. This lens is generally admired and an up to date design. I have X-T4 and X-H2S. If it is possible to hire this kit then you would see if it suited you.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I shot Fuji for a number of years even had the original XE1 which I found to be compact and capable.  I still have an X100 in drawer, which I occasionally find but don't use anymore.  The finder and AF were completely sufficient for my use.  It weighs a trifle compared the M10P.  

If I had an issue (age, injury, ...) that prevented the use of my M I would go back to a Fuji X-Pro or X100 in a heartbeat.  I don't know anything about the SLR format Fujis but I'm sure they are outstanding.  The great advantage of Fuji is the possibility of a large library of lenses that are cheap compared to Leica.

Edited by KFo

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2023 at 6:08 PM, microview said:

Fujifilm that is. As old age encroaches I feel less inclined to go out with my M10R, simply because of its weight. I was thinking of the Fuji XT5 with an X 35mm lens – this would allow autofocus and circa 50mm FOV. Anyone out there who has a recent M and has tried/kept the lighter ASPC camera? If so, is the image quality a decent match for Leicas'?

The XT5 is 100g lighter than an M10R. That’s a big deal to you? To put it into perspective, that’s about 8 tablespoons of sugar. 

Any decent modern digital camera will give you good raw files you can edit to your taste. So you can literally use whatever you want and get the pictures. 

A camera isn’t a raw file though. Using a Fuji and using a Leica M rangefinder isn’t the same thing. if you don’t care it means you really don’t need to use a rangefinder. It does nothing for you. Sell it, pick up a cheap camera and pocket the rest. 

Edited by venom

On 12/3/2023 at 1:50 AM, venom said:

The XT5 is 100g lighter than an M10R. That’s a big deal to you? To put it into perspective, that’s about 8 tablespoons of sugar. 

Any decent modern digital camera will give you good raw files you can edit to your taste. So you can literally use whatever you want and get the pictures. 

A camera isn’t a raw file though. Using a Fuji and using a Leica M rangefinder isn’t the same thing. if you don’t care it means you really don’t need to use a rangefinder. It does nothing for you. Sell it, pick up a cheap camera and pocket the rest. 

'Lighter' 'smaller' 'getting older' 'bad eyesight' are all essentially GAS/FOMO dog whistles that the Leica M isn't really the right camera for them, but don't want to admit it. Nothing wrong with that; M's are not 'easy' cameras to use, but definitely at the top of the GAS chain, whether an appropriate choice or not. Just get the Fuji/Sony, whatever - not because there's something wrong with Leica's, but because that is what will work best for you. Don't get sold on the idea that your photography will be 'better' with one camera or another (esp a more expensive one), as that's typically never the case. A different camera may help one achieve a certain defined goal or vision, but rarely a blanket 'better.' Only the photographer themselves can achieve that.

• Like 1

And FTR, I'm not innocent or immune to the above. I've tried, thinking that something smaller will get me out the door more with it vs an M. But at the end of the day, none of the alternatives were ever that much smaller, and I'd just grab an M instead, and take the quality of photo with the handling I know. Returned a Q for that reason, and have a perfectly mint digital CL sitting in a case, again for the same reason that it's still a camera one needs to carry. If I truly want to unburden myself, that's what phone cameras are for.  

8 minutes ago, charlesphoto99 said:

'Lighter' 'smaller' 'getting older' 'bad eyesight' are all essentially GAS/FOMO dog whistles that the Leica M isn't really the right camera for them, but don't want to admit it. Nothing wrong with that; M's are not 'easy' cameras to use, but definitely at the top of the GAS chain, whether an appropriate choice or not. Just get the Fuji/Sony, whatever - not because there's something wrong with Leica's, but because that is what will work best for you. Don't get sold on the idea that your photography will be 'better' with one camera or another (esp a more expensive one), as that's typically never the case. A different camera may help one achieve a certain defined goal or vision, but rarely a blanket 'better.' Only the photographer themselves can achieve that.

Best post recently on the forum..... At 61 I frankly find all these posts about weight/eyesight etc very negative. I've tried other stuff and used it for a while (Nikon Z7ii, Sony A7Ri/ii/iv and RX1Rm2) as well as extensive use of the Olympus OM system in the past (classic and digital versions). Stuff bought used and sold on with little or no loss. The Leica M can't be compared in terms of weight or ease of use. It's a reflective, very physical and tactile, a somewhat old school approach involving pre-visualisation, anticipation and immersion in the subject. That makes my creativity flow in a way other systems just don't. Sure I can take a photo, but photos that make me go 'yes....' tend to come from the M.

• Like 2