Leica M3 SS Wind Problem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently was given a Leica M3 and in my first role, the photos appear to have double and triple exposed by accident. Most negatives have no space in-between them and the edges have overlapped. The photos don't overlap the sprocket holes. Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions on how to fix it? Or do I just have to get it serviced? Whilst shooting there was no odd feeling whilst winding the film on, it was all very smooth.

I did a test with a dud roll of film by setting the camera on Bulb mode, While the shutter was open I drew out the frame onto the negative with a pen, wound the film on, and repeated this until the role was done. In this test, all the photo frame lines came out perfectly and none of them overlapped. I'm baffled as to what occurred in my initial role. 

Photos are of Glasgow, Scotland 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MattsFilm

First off, welcome to the forum! Your problem may be related to the film slipping on the spool and not having proper tension to advance evenly. On your next roll, when you slide the leader under the tab, you should see an arrow when the leader is fully in place. When you insert both the spool and the film cassette, make sure they are completely seated. The cassette should be in contact with the rewind. Open the door and just check if the sprocket holes line up with the advance gear. Replace the baseplate and wind. Watch the rewind knob and insure the red dots are turning. Your camera may need servicing but try this first.

Follow 250’s advice. It’s easy enough to accidentally engage the rewind switch.

Edited by madNbad

One option is that the film had been previously exposed and then it was reloaded into the camera. That’s how I would explain that none of your hand drawn frames overlapped on your dud roll but you had multiple double and triple exposures on the roll you developed.

On the other hand, if it was a blank roll, how many exposures did you get out of your roll of film. If it was slipping and accidentally double or triple exposing then you should have got many more than 36 exposures out of a 36 exposure roll.  The M3 shot dial peaks at 40 and doesn’t reset until you take the spool out. Cheers. 

• Like 1