Just curious.

Ivan M

All digital Leicas since the M8. It works like this: Leica builds an initial stock of a few thousand cameras and introduces the new model They sell out in a few days and then the production cannot keep up with demand - obvious as it is a smallish company with hand-assembled products, they cannot sustain overcapacity after an initial rush. After a few months everything slowly evens out.

• Like 2

As jaapv says, with minor variations. I ordered an M10 after it was announced, and managed to get one (1) within 4 weeks.

Because - Leica distributes new cameras even-handedly, world-wide, across regions ("Here are four for NYC, and four for Florida, and four for the Rocky Mountain Region, and four for.....")

So it can happen that a given region gets, for example, a silver camera that no one in that region has signed up for ahead of time (they all ordered black), and it is thus available sooner (as in my case).

I've learned, since the M8, to never specify a particular color - I just order "whatever is available first in our region!" (Rocky Mountain States), directly with the regional rep.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jaapv said:

All digital Leicas since the M8. It works like this: Leica builds an initial stock of a few thousand.cameras and introduces the new model They sell out in a few days and then the production cannot keep up with demand - obvious as it is a smallish company with hand-assembled products, they cannot sustain overcapacity after an initial rush. After a few months everything slowly evens out.

The wait for the M9 was glacial!

The SL was the exception - seemed to be available on and from launch, and it worked as described on the tin, with minimal need for immediate upgrades.  It was a great effort by Leica.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

The wait for the M9 was glacial!

For some, definitely.

Up to 9 months maybe? Plus it gummed up lens production as well - the 90 APO-Summicron-M ASPH was "unobtainium" for about the same time period, as lens assemblers were dragooned to work the M9 desks to meet the camera demand.

But the M9 was announced formally on 09/09/09 - and I got mine seven days later. Because in early August, the instant the 09/09/09 date was leaked, I'd called my regional Leica rep and told her "I want whatever is coming on 09/09/09, any color, any price!"

I think August 2009 was also when a French dealer's website "accidentally" posted the M9 spec sheet, just long enough for some folks here to grab screen shots.

Once I got the M9 and reported some results, someone on this forum emailed me in October 2009 to offer me $1000 over the list price for mine. I replied "Thank you, but no."

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Consider the delays a bonus, as early adopters typically also serve as beta testers, particularly for new M platforms.  

But, if GAS burns, calls to smaller Leica dealers outside your area might yield success, as they generally have small or no wait lists compared to the usual suspects (especially in the US), and may have one unclaimed.

Jeff

• Like 1

10 hours ago, adan said:

For some, definitely.

Up to 9 months maybe? Plus it gummed up lens production as well - the 90 APO-Summicron-M ASPH was "unobtainium" for about the same time period, as lens assemblers were dragooned to work the M9 desks to meet the camera demand.

But the M9 was announced formally on 09/09/09 - and I got mine seven days later. Because in early August, the instant the 09/09/09 date was leaked, I'd called my regional Leica rep and told her "I want whatever is coming on 09/09/09, any color, any price!"

I think August 2009 was also when a French dealer's website "accidentally" posted the M9 spec sheet, just long enough for some folks here to grab screen shots.

Once I got the M9 and reported some results, someone on this forum emailed me in October 2009 to offer me $1000 over the list price for mine. I replied "Thank you, but no."

A year in my case, I think.  No local supplies; I bought mine from Meister in Berlin, sight unseen as is so often the case here.  Had I ordered locally (my preference), I would still have had to pay the higher price in advance and wait longer.

No beta testing in my case.  The M9 worked flawlessly from the get go; but then the M9P was released, and I couldn't resist upgrading the camera to chrome; then the sensor failed, and I gave up on it (took the trade for an M-A).

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2023 at 3:54 AM, adan said:

As jaapv says, with minor variations. I ordered an M10 after it was announced, and managed to get one (1) within 4 weeks.

Because - Leica distributes new cameras even-handedly, world-wide, across regions ("Here are four for NYC, and four for Florida, and four for the Rocky Mountain Region, and four for.....")

So it can happen that a given region gets, for example, a silver camera that no one in that region has signed up for ahead of time (they all ordered black), and it is thus available sooner (as in my case).

I've learned, since the M8, to never specify a particular color - I just order "whatever is available first in our region!" (Rocky Mountain States), directly with the regional rep.

Things that help: A good relationship with your dealer. Or being at the right place at the right time. When at Photokina in 2006 I saw the M8 and called my Dutch dealer there and then.  "Whatever they send you, call me first". And they did. I had the camera two weeks before the official sales opened. (and an IR "hot" filter two days later ;) )

With the M9M I was at the official introduction, I could test Jono's camera just before Dr. Kaufman's speech (thank you, Jono!), and walked up to the Meister rep with a glass of nice Riesling. He took my name and address and I got my camera a couple of days later. I think that both times the cameras were meant as dealer demos, but given the immense interest they just sold them to the first through the door. And I indicated that I would not quibble about open boxes.

• Like 1