Enabling the digital zoom feature of the M11 with the rangefinder

hdmesa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Currently the 1.3x and 1.8x zoom (crop) function of the M11 only works in live view, and there is no way to use this crop mode while using the rangefinder. I'm sure Leica wanted to prevent confusion with frame line mismatches and/or accidentally forgetting to turn the zoom off. However, it would be great to have the option to use the rangefinder with the digital zoom enabled even without any notification in the rangefinder that the camera is in crop mode. Why? Because if I mount a 40mm lens like the Leica/Minolta 40mm f/2 or the recent Voigtlander 40mm f/2.8, the 50/75mm frame lines are activated. These frame lines are exact 1.3x and 1.8x crops of 40mm. I'd love to be able to activate the 1.3x zoom mode and shoot my Voigtlander 40mm using the rangefinder 50mm frame lines and get a 50mm FOV final image, even if it is a crop. The equivalent smaller sensor size and resulting file size of a 1.3x crop from a 60mp full frame image is still very useful.

I'm going to email Leica a feature request for this. If anyone else wants to join, please email info [at] leica-camera [dot com]

I know there may not be a huge interest, but if you think this might be nice to have the option, please consider emailing Leica with me. Please use the following as the email subject line: Feature Request: Enable M11 digital zoom with the rangefinder

--

In the meantime as a workaround for shooting my 40mm using the 50mm frame lines: I'm going to set a 1.3x crop preset in Capture One, which will allow me to either apply this manually to one image at a time or batch-apply the crop to a set of images at the time of import.

That is a quite particular request. I never got the 40mm because of the missing frame lines. I never got the Leica CL film camera because I could not use the 35mm correctly.

But, coming back to your case. I have the little button to activate Zoom on my camera. Why not just turn it on and ignore the Screen?

I can see Leica not going for it as it creates confusion. I may work well in your case, but if you have a different lens mounted, let's say 28mm, you don't get any crop lines but 28 and 135mm

1 hour ago, Photoworks said:

That is a quite particular request. I never got the 40mm because of the missing frame lines. I never got the Leica CL film camera because I could not use the 35mm correctly.

But, coming back to your case. I have the little button to activate Zoom on my camera. Why not just turn it on and ignore the Screen?

I can see Leica not going for it as it creates confusion. I may work well in your case, but if you have a different lens mounted, let's say 28mm, you don't get any crop lines but 28 and 135mm

There are other lenses that work with the zoom + frame lines such as 21mm being ~28mm with the 1.3x zoom. I realize it’s an obscure request, but its implementation would be simple. It would be off by default, so it wouldn’t be any different than it is now for most people.

Leaving the screen on while using the rangefinder would work, but the light of the LCD can be too bright in dim lighting when my eye is right up to the camera. Perhaps setting the LCD to its lowest brightness could help.

Edited by hdmesa

I cannot say that I can follow this reasoning. Framelines are not a command to be followed blindly, they are an indication. There is nothing holding you back from framing a bit inside or outside the lines. In fact, this is something that must be done to maintain accuracy with focusing a frameline- matched lens. 

3 hours ago, Photoworks said:

That is a quite particular request. I never got the 40mm because of the missing frame lines. I never got the Leica CL film camera because I could not use the 35mm 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
18 hours ago, Mogen said:

Would love to have this feature! Imagine it also set the framelines as well to the closest focal length- would be a great feature

The framelines in the rangefinder window are set mechanically by the lens that is attached. They can also be toggled between different focal length options by flipping the frameline selector lever on the front of the camera. But it couldn't be done electronically in firmware, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Personally, I don't care about the OVF icw the digital zoom. However, I would welcome an option to used the whole EVF/Display with the digital zoom as addition to displaying just the framelines.