Can my R lenses be used on any currently-made Leica cameras?

craigrmurray

Am 7.8.2023 um 04:46 schrieb craigrmurray:

I have every focal-length R lens from 15mm to 800mm, but i'm confused about which contemporary Leica body will accept them, and which adaptors I would need. Also, is there any lens information that that camera could read, like aperture information, or would the lens have to be used in stop-down mode. Obviously it would be manual focus only.

The SL (601) and SL2(S) are the unofficial digital R10 and R11(s). Leica offers an electronic adapter 'Leica R adapter L' for those cameras that can read the Rom contacts from the latest R lenses. As far as I have heard, this includes the lens name, actual focal length (from zooms) and the aperture value. For older R Lenses the cameras have built in lens profiles, but you have to choose them manually. These features are only available with the original Leica R adapter L connected to the camera. But even with this adapter the lenses have to be used stopped down.

@David Weber, I can confirm the R-L adapter on the SL digital bodies will store the zoom focal length in the EXIF files.  I use the 70-180 f/2.8 and the 80-200 R lenses ROM and always get the focal length (as long as the lens determination is set to auto, I have not tried to manually set the ROM lenses and do not know if that affects the outcome).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2023 at 12:30 AM, David Weber said:

These features are only available with the original Leica R adapter L connected to the camera. But even with this adapter the lenses have to be used stopped down.

This is the first time I read about this. Can anyone confirm this?

I can understand that using a M-L adapter first and then R-M stacked on top creates an opening that is too small for the longer lenses because the M mount is smaller than the R mount. I am pretty sure my URTH R-L adapter does not cause vignetting, but I did not have time to test all my longer R lenses yet. And I see no physical reason why it could happen either.

On 8/31/2023 at 11:09 PM, dpitt said:

This is the first time I read about this. Can anyone confirm this?

I can understand that using a M-L adapter first and then R-M stacked on top creates an opening that is too small for the longer lenses because the M mount is smaller than the R mount. I am pretty sure my URTH R-L adapter does not cause vignetting, but I did not have time to test all my longer R lenses yet. And I see no physical reason why it could happen either.

I think what he meant was that there is no facility to use auto-diaphragm functions with R lenses, not that the adapters cause vignetting.   The aperture setting must be done manually. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, hepcat said:

I think what he meant was that there is no facility to use auto-diaphragm functions with R lenses, not that the adapters cause vignetting.   The aperture setting must be done manually. 

Yes. Indeed, you have to stop down the lens if you want to use a smaller F stop. I like to focus wide open and then stop down if you have the time.

It would not be too hard to build a R-L adapter that can open the lens by pressing a button or lever, then when you let the lever go, the lens closes to the chosen stop. I have a R-Nikon F adapter that works this way. Of course I had to change the flange on the lens because of the flange distance, but if a third party can do that for around €50, why not for the R-L adapter?
Maybe someone even knows where to find such a thing?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have two R lenses, a Summicron-R 50/2 V1 from 1974 and an Elmarit-R 24/2.8 from 1982 that I use on an SL2-S.  Both are 3-Cam and in excellent condition.  Leica says that the 1974 lens should not be used with the R adapter L but I use an Urth R-L adapter with no problems.  Being that these are 3-Cam and not ROM lenses would there be any advantage to using the Leica adapter?  The Urth works fine and the fit is perfect.   

Given that the Leica adapter is in the $800 range if you can find a used one, and that the Urth does the job, I'd rather not spend the cash if I don't have to.  One other interesting thing is that in the Lens Correction dropdown in Lightroom the older 50 Summicron is listed but the 24 Elmarit is not.  I'm continually impressed by how good the images are with these lenses, especially the 24mm Elmarit.