Q3 Battery drain

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I am not too happy with battery life in the Q3.

I am using the genuine battery and have:

• Set display to evf extended so rear screen only comes in review mode or menu
  • Disabled wifi/bluetooth

What can be done to get this camera to stay alive for at least half a day. The battery life is hugely disappointing.

Any suggestions or tips would greatly be appreciated.

AQ

1 hour ago, AussieQ said:

Hi,

I am not too happy with battery life in the Q3.

I am using the genuine battery and have:

• Set display to evf extended so rear screen only comes in review mode or menu
  • Disabled wifi/bluetooth

What can be done to get this camera to stay alive for at least half a day. The battery life is hugely disappointing.

Any suggestions or tips would greatly be appreciated.

AQ

How many uses? The battery life will improve after a few charge cycles. I’m not sure what else you can try, other than setting the viewfinder refresh to 60Hz and resisting the temptation to chimp.

Edited by hedleyw

• 3 weeks later...

hi AQ i am experiencing the same issue 

i have had my Q3 for about a month and during that time reading reviews and watching videos everyone seems to be remarking how good the battery life is

with many saying they still had battery left after a full day of shooting

it's the battery that came new with the new camera and this morning, while out shooting, with EVF set to EVF Extended , thus turning the `LCD off and thereby conserving battery power, and the  AUTO POWER OFF at 5MINS and  DISPLAYS /AF AUTO off at 1min, and with minimal chimping i got 104 shots before the battery started flashing red. i then put the spare in and after78 shots thats 2/3 empty.

this is awful no? ...am i doing something wrong? am about to go on hioliday for 2 weeks and now seriously worried that after being out shooting for a couple of hours both batteries will be dead

thanks

shan

Sorry to hear your experience about the batterylife. I have used my Q3 the past 5 weeks for a holiday. Every single day I made photos, with most days more then 200 and some days over 300. My camera has the same settings, evf-extended, disabled wifi, watching my photos short (or in the viewfinder because I can see it better (reading glasses)) After every photo or series of photos I turned my camera off. Not one single day I ran out of battery… (not even a red sign)…..every evening I charged it back to full….

I have charged the battery full many times now, maybe that is good for battery life? 

• 2 weeks later...
Am 13.8.2023 um 01:19 schrieb AussieQ:

I did notice an oddity. WIth the OIS turned OFF, tell me if you can still here something energized inside the camera that is still running. If OIS is OFF then what else is creating the energized hum when the camera just sits there?

Can hear that, too. Seems that OIS is "locked" but not off?

Am 12.8.2023 um 22:18 schrieb Shane Oneill:

hi AQ i am experiencing the same issue 

i have had my Q3 for about a month and during that time reading reviews and watching videos everyone seems to be remarking how good the battery life is

with many saying they still had battery left after a full day of shooting

it's the battery that came new with the new camera and this morning, while out shooting, with EVF set to EVF Extended , thus turning the `LCD off and thereby conserving battery power, and the  AUTO POWER OFF at 5MINS and  DISPLAYS /AF AUTO off at 1min, and with minimal chimping i got 104 shots before the battery started flashing red. i then put the spare in and after78 shots thats 2/3 empty.

this is awful no? ...am i doing something wrong? am about to go on hioliday for 2 weeks and now seriously worried that after being out shooting for a couple of hours both batteries will be dead

thanks

shan

That is absolutly not normal!

Do you use an soft release-shutter? If so, it could be possible that the camera didn’t go to sleep (if you use this function instead of turning off)….the soft release button wakes it up in the bag on every accidentally half press. Happened to me while I was wandering….

If you do not find the reason, I would contact Leica!

Edited by ChrisGA
  • Like 2

Battery life is not bad or good, it is like I expected it to be. I have all options switched on and one full battery last a good day of shooting in general. I bought a second one cause I do not want to charge the battery after every day. You really have to go bananas if you start the day with two fully charged batteries. I you run out, you probably are using the camera for a task it is not meant for.

I was initially disappointed with the battery life as by the end of the day of just casual shooting it would go under half, but with time and charges it has improved significantly. Now after a day of casual shooting it’s still over half. I had been contemplating buying a second battery or power bank but no longer feel I need to. I turn camera off after taking shots, EVF is 120hz and image stabilisation is auto. Fingers crossed your battery will improve. 

• Like 2

My power settings are 2 minutes / 30 seconds, the viewfinder has the 60 fps display and I take several hundred photos on one battery BP-SCL6 charge. 

I use a single AF area with AF-S 90% of the time.

I haven't looked exactly, but it should be around 500 (DNG+JPG).

The rear display consumes less power than the viewfinder and AF-C is of course a power sucker.

• Like 1