Help me identify this old box with Leitz/Leica logo for Leitz accessories

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought this box as part of an auction lot. It looks old and relatively well made (see the hinge at the back and the locks at the front). It is lined with velvet on the inside and has a top compartment. The price labels in the compartment suggests this was from a camera dealer. The inserts suggest is can be used to store screw mount accessories - see the two perfectly fitted film cassettes in the two leather rings. It has Leitz and Leica logos on the front. Has anyone seen a box like this? Any information will be appreciated. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hard to tell wether it's original made by Leitz, I don't think they would mark both brand-names Leitz and Leica. It looks to me like someone build it's own case made of wood instead of leather, perhaps to get better protection against moisture. Looking at the inside there is room for (and evidence of) some filters and film-canisters, the compartment on the right side may hold a bellows for screw-mount Leica and the rest may hold either a Visoflex I or a focuslide, some lenses (200 Telyth?) and a body.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, romanus53 said:

... I don't think they would mark both brand-names Leitz and Leica ...

I have a couple of early ETRIN leather cases and they are both marked 'Leitz' and 'Leica', so I don't think we should discount the markings on this wooden box as not original on that basis alone.

Alan

23 hours ago, nf3996 said:

I have a couple of early ETRIN leather cases and they are both marked 'Leitz' and 'Leica', so I don't think we should discount the markings on this wooden box as not original on that basis alone.

Alan

Same here and also with the 'Leitz' being larger than 'Leica'. Whatever the box is I don't think the user had anything to do with it, it appears they've spelt 'Leica' wrong on their exposure notes and then corrected it.

Edited by 250swb