“Best” video format/resolution Q3

32 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

You wanted an answer? I wouldn’t use the Q3 because of Its 30 minute limit. I’ve used the SL2-S and Sigma fp for this purpose. 

Yes, here is one of the questions again if you missed it: 

If you were shooting an interview, what mode/resolution would you set and why?

30 minutes ago, Jonas Larsson said:

Yes, here is one of the questions again if you missed it: 

If you were shooting an interview, what mode/resolution would you set and why?

I ignored it because this is the Q3 forum and that's what your thread title asked for.

On the SL2-S, I almost always shoot in C4K, 25fps, ALL-I, L-Log. I usually output at FHD, so C4K allows me to virtually zoom in if i want to. For interviews and the like I don't see a benefit in shooting faster than 25fps.
With the Sigma fp, I almost always shot with similar settings - no log but Cinema DNG, recorded to an external SSD. (I recently sold the Sigma). 
All pp in Davinci.

What would you do and why?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jonas Larsson said:

I know it’s the wrong question to ask (too broad) but please work with me. If you were shooting an interview, what mode/resolution would you set and why? Your go to-settings when your kid/wife/boyfriend/dog is making a move? Otherwise?

Jonas in 🇸🇪 

Perhaps sharing a bit about your subject matter, workflow, editing software, and equipment would help give some context. This is a bit like showing up to Starbucks and asking the barista for the ‘best coffee on the menu’.

Is 24/25 fps sufficient for what you’re shooting? Do you need 30 or 60fps? Do you want to punch in and output in 4K, do you need 8K? What’s your target output resolution? Do you have a modern editing machine that can chug through L-GOP encoded files while allowing you to scrub easily without bogging the whole machine down? Do you need ProRes? What would you like to prioritize for your capture format? Is storage capacity a limitation for you and you need to maximize your image quality with a low bit-rate encoded video? Are you shooting with artificially lit scene with controlled in which case you can shoot in a standard color profile or are you shooting in high dynamic range scenes that would benefit from L-log?

There is no best video format/setting that will work for all occasions. If you were shooting an interview with lots of background blur, 8K 10bit 4:2:0 L-GOP might be perfectly fine, and preferred. But if you were shooting an interview with a small aperture with a waterfall behind the subject as a background, then 4K 10bit 4:2:2 All-I may be preferable, assuming your editing machine can handle the processing storage demands.

Edited by beewee
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, beewee said:

Perhaps sharing a bit about your subject matter, workflow, editing software, and equipment would help give some context. This is a bit like showing up to Starbucks and asking the barista for the ‘best coffee on the menu’.

Is 24/25 fps sufficient for what you’re shooting? Do you need 30 or 60fps? Do you want to punch in and output in 4K, do you need 8K? What’s your target output resolution? Do you have a modern editing machine that can chug through L-GOP encoded files while allowing you to scrub easily without bogging the whole machine down? Do you need ProRes? What would you like to prioritize for your capture format? Is storage capacity a limitation for you and you need to maximize your image quality with a low bit-rate encoded video? Are you shooting with artificially lit scene with controlled in which case you can shoot in a standard color profile or are you shooting in high dynamic range scenes that would benefit from L-log?

There is no best video format/setting that will work for all occasions. If you were shooting an interview with lots of background blur, 8K 10bit 4:2:0 L-GOP might be perfectly fine, and preferred. But if you were shooting an interview with a small aperture with a waterfall behind the subject as a background, then 4K 10bit 4:2:2 All-I may be preferable, assuming your editing machine can handle the processing storage demands.

Sometimes I love to listen to the barista.

Thanks for asking me all those questions. They give me an opportunity to learn more.

Most of them I have no answer to (as a newbie) but I love Arthur Ashe quote: 

Start where you are.
Use what you have.
Do what you can.

I think limitations help you think unconventionally. 

11 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I ignored it because this is the Q3 forum and that's what your thread title asked for.

On the SL2-S, I almost always shoot in C4K, 25fps, ALL-I, L-Log. I usually output at FHD, so C4K allows me to virtually zoom in if i want to. For interviews and the like I don't see a benefit in shooting faster than 25fps.
With the Sigma fp, I almost always shot with similar settings - no log but Cinema DNG, recorded to an external SSD. (I recently sold the Sigma). 
All pp in Davinci.

What would you do and why?

Good question. Listen to people who know more that I do (sharing is caring). And then learn more by doing. Repeat.   

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I usually default to 4k60p log profile for family vids, but that’s mainly handheld with many movements. For interviews, 24p/25p should be ok if it’s on a tripod and not panning. Id also suggest testing how long it can record 4k without overheating as that could be an issue for the q3’s compact body. 8k has been the cleanest IQ(even when cropped), but it may heat up quicker. I probably would not recommend the q3 for any long form vids as the bitrate can be quite high and it may be prone to heating up. 4k to me only looks ok at 28mm. Digital focused lengths don’t look so good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jmm1 said:

@LocalHero1953  I love using CinemaDNG (amazing dynamic range) on the Sigma FP and how nice it is to work with in DaVinci.  Are you missing the the ability of Internal RAW with the Q3?

I don't have the Q3, just the Q2. I don't miss internal raw either. For my needs, a higher priority is a camera that can record for longer than 30 minutes, a limitation of both Q3 and Q2 (and a major reason why I didn't get the Q3). I often record full length plays and musicals, so I want to record 80 minutes or so as a minimum. I find log footage and ALL-I on the SL2-S to be excellent for my needs.

Edited by LocalHero1953

On 10/10/2023 at 6:21 AM, nariza7 said:

I usually default to 4k60p log profile for family vids, but that’s mainly handheld with many movements. For interviews, 24p/25p should be ok if it’s on a tripod and not panning. Id also suggest testing how long it can record 4k without overheating as that could be an issue for the q3’s compact body. 8k has been the cleanest IQ(even when cropped), but it may heat up quicker. I probably would not recommend the q3 for any long form vids as the bitrate can be quite high and it may be prone to heating up. 4k to me only looks ok at 28mm. Digital focused lengths don’t look so good.

For now 4K 30 (29.9) is all I shoot. 30 min is max. Thanks for sharing. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2023 at 8:07 AM, Miltz said:

It’s best to test this stuff out yourself as people all have different preferences. What might be good for me, might not work for you.

True. But sharing is caring, too. without doubt the best way for me to learn is to combine those two. But that's me. Thanks for commenting.  

• Like 1