Internal light meter not working - easier to replace now?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought my M6TTL 0.85 new about 30 years ago. The internal meter stopped working a couple of years ago.

Any ideas or experience on what the cost of repairing or replacing the meter would be?

Was wondering if Leica is set up again for this since releasing the new M6?

Thanks.

Allegedly it's now possible to get a new meter for an M6 because of the reissue, but that doesn't have TTL flash metering so I doubt all the connections are the same. Do make sure you've cleaned the battery contacts and the gold contacts inside the back door.

11 hours ago, MCM1 said:

I bought my M6TTL 0.85 new about 30 years ago. The internal meter stopped working a couple of years ago.

Any ideas or experience on what the cost of repairing or replacing the meter would be?

Was wondering if Leica is set up again for this since releasing the new M6?

I would get someone to look at the camera first - it may be that there is some easily fixable fault like a loose connection.

If the meter needs replacing, the most recent information I've seen is in this thread:

15 hours ago, Anbaric said:

If the meter needs replacing, the most recent information I've seen is in this thread:

Many thanks Anbaric, really interesting and it's what I hoped, but definitely not worth it to me. I was thinking about adding the M6 to my for sale items, so wanted to get it sorted, but at that price, I'll just keep it and continue to use a separate light meter.  I'm emotionally attached to it anyway.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MCM1 said:

Many thanks Anbaric, really interesting and it's what I hoped, but definitely not worth it to me. I was thinking about adding the M6 to my for sale items, so wanted to get it sorted, but at that price, I'll just keep it and continue to use a separate light meter.  I'm emotionally attached to it anyway.

That's the worst case, though, the estimated price if a whole circuit board needs to be replaced. If you're lucky, it might be something that can be fixed with a screwdriver or a soldering iron. A good independent technician, or Leica themselves, should be able to give you an opinion. There would be a charge to take the top off and inspect and diagnose the fault, but you could have that done as part of a normal service if your camera needs one.

Edited by Anbaric