New: Leica Q3 with 60 MP BSI Sensor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/29/2023 at 2:43 AM, Simone_DF said:

That has nothing to do with processors, it's pretty much just the usual sloppiness on the software side from Leica. The operating system running on the Q2 and Q3 is the same, that's all that matters, and migrating user profiles should be a trivial task for the engineers to accomplish. 

For example you can easily migrate your data from Windows to Mac or from Android to iOS and viceversa, even though they run completely different architectures.

Agree. The saved profiles are essentially entries in a database that should be easily transferable from one camera to another. This is something all camera manufacturers (not just Leica) should be thinking about as the preferences get lengthier and more detailed. The easier you make the transfer, the more likely owners will stay with your brand than go off and try another brand of camera.

This camera is amazing. I was waiting the Q3 for the only one reason : the screen. I needed a tilt angle for architecture picture. The incredible quality of the Q2 was enough for me. I didn’t really need more than 45 millions pixel which is for me the best resolution for sharpness, ability to crop and low light. 
As I saw with the M11 I have tested for a WE, 60 millions pixel bring more iso (and more speed) even if the lens and sensor are excellent. And i have noticed no difference if I downgrade resolution. 
It’s not really a problem and the big advantage is that I can crop more with is very usufulk in macro mode. The fact is I need to take control of speed. In the semi automatic mode the camera will increase the speed. 
With the Q2 the automatic speed was perfect and I always was at 100 iso without caring about speed It is rarely happen with q3. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Opaea said:

This camera is amazing. I was waiting the Q3 for the only one reason : the screen. I needed a tilt angle for architecture picture. The incredible quality of the Q2 was enough for me. I didn’t really need more than 45 millions pixel which is for me the best resolution for sharpness, ability to crop and low light. 
As I saw with the M11 I have tested for a WE, 60 millions pixel bring more iso (and more speed) even if the lens and sensor are excellent. And i have noticed no difference if I downgrade resolution. 
It’s not really a problem and the big advantage is that I can crop more with is very usufulk in macro mode. The fact is I need to take control of speed. In the semi automatic mode the camera will increase the speed. 
With the Q2 the automatic speed was perfect and I always was at 100 iso without caring about speed It is rarely happen with q3. 

You can set the ISO to fixed 100 if you want. You don't have to be in auto-ISO mode. Auto exposure mode is also available, where the ISO is fixed but the camera will alter the exposure speed to suit the ambient light. You can also tailor the mode of operation of auto-ISO by changing the shutter speed at which it will start to increase the ISO. Auto is the factory setting but you can change it in the menu.

Wilson

Locking iso at 100 is a little dangerous for me but decrease shutter speed is a good solution.  The fact is that stabilisation is very efficient and you can shoot a 1/15 s with 2s delay and without breathing and it really works. 
i can’t do that with my other camera (canon R5 witch is double stabilised with the lens)  

The management of the iso is very good and being a 400 or 800 rather than 100 don’t really compromise your picture. Maybe it is in my mind and I always can reduce noise with topaz ai (better than Dxo). 

I have not enough practice to optimise the new sensor. Already see how powerful it is in macro mode. 
But the fact I found amazing the ability of the Q2 always to stay at 100 or 200 iso in nearly every situation in semi automatic mode. 

i really appreciate the Leica application. The fact I don’t need to put on my camera to transfer photo on my iPhone and speed of transfer is better that any else. Having constantly gps without open the apply it is very important for me, even it used battery. 

About 250 shots but I always let my phone communicate to send camera gps position and I transfer my photo to iPhone with the Leica application by WiFi each 50 photos.  I guess it consumed battery. 
Actually, a second battery is absolutely required and always have it on me. 
(Maybe a power bank can help but it’s not practical). 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 7.7.2023 um 12:25 schrieb StefanoGili:

Specs say the battery will last for 320 shots, how many did you take with? Can you confirm?

Using the flip screen max. half of the shots and pressing the "play" button very rarely while keeping the connection to GPS / phone always Off I made almost 600 shots (mostly personal recognition mode) before changing to the battery I had from my former Q. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So..l the Q3 includes two discs that seemingly protect the body from scratches from the strap rings. I’ve seen things like this so many times before but they have usually been fairly flexible and allowed me to wrap them around the strap rings. In this case they are not flexible at all …  is this the way it supposed to be? It seems so dorky. I am waiting for a Arte de Mani half case but until then, is this really supposed to be like? 

Edited by intermediatic

I don't like the very stiff leather strap supplied with the Q3 at all, as I often carry a camera with the strap wrapped round my wrist. I am using a Luigi Crescenzi braided silk strap in dark blue with red leather trim, which is very soft and comfortable and includes camera protector tabs in the same lovely soft leather than Luigi uses for trim. Nearly all my Leicas have Luigi's straps on them. 

Wilson