New: Leica Q3 with 60 MP BSI Sensor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

you are right @Simone_DF they have that data. Still I think it is a bit shortsighted to provide the lightning cable. A nice USB-C to USB-C cable could have been used on your iPad, Mac/PC or to charge the camera trough a PD powerbank.  With the slow speeds a lightning connector brings I'm more inclined to use the wireless connection with my iPhone anyway. So what's the cable for then?

• Like 2

Using a Thunderbolt 3 cable with my Mac, iPad Pro and Pixel 6 Pro I don't see slow transfer speeds on the Q3's USB-C port. While WiFi is fast on the latter two it's still slower than when using a cable. 

You're right that using the Lightning cable will result in terrible transfer speed thanks to Apple treating their captive iPhone customer base with contempt. I also agree that putting a Lightning cable in the box was pretty pointless 🙂

I must be doing something wrong then. I just tried downloading the images using the USB-C cable of my CF Express Type B card reader (so not a slow cable) and it's again much slower than the wireless connection. I then tried my 100W Apple USB-C cable and again it was much slower to download the files from my Q3 to my M1 iPad Pro.  Wirelessly it takes around 2 seconds to download one image. Wired it takes about 30 seconds or more for one image so not even close. What setup are you using and where are you transferring the images @haelio

Then why do I get usb 2 speeds even with a 100W cable? LR CC on the iPad Pro M1 doesn’t recognize ghe Q3 as a camera either only trough Leica Fotos App I’m able to establish either a wired or wireless connection and the wired connection is slow with whatever cable I use 🤷‍♂️

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just ordered this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transfer-Charging-Compatible-Thunderbolt-MacBook/dp/B09GXRWQYQ/ref=sr_1_5?adgrpid=103348728898&hvadid=606174203003&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9045307&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=2973732421806569582&hvtargid=kwd-778675258555&hydadcr=26607_2698009&keywords=usb-c+to+thunderbolt+3+cable&qid=1686136827&sr=8-5 . I had to try two different Apple USB-C to USB-C cables before I got any data transfer. I assume the one supplied with my iPad Air Gen 5 must be a charge only cable. Typical of the cheap bar stewards at Apple. "Oh you want data transfer as well? That will be another cable please." 

Surprisingly given my age, I got a perfect score on the Xrite colour perception test. 

Wilson

27 minutes ago, Qwertynm said:

Then why do I get usb 2 speeds even with a 100W cable? LR CC on the iPad Pro M1 doesn’t recognize ghe Q3 as a camera either only trough Leica Fotos App I’m able to establish either a wired or wireless connection and the wired connection is slow with whatever cable I use 🤷‍♂️

That is because Adobe has been slow out of the blocks and the Q3 is not yet on the list of supported RAW format cameras, unlike (unusually speedy) Capture One. It must be due for Adobe support soon. I looked at getting C1 for iPad but even though I have upgraded to the latest C1 for Mac (V.23), they want still more money for the iOS App. Adobe give out their iOS apps free if you have bought the Photographer package, so Phase One are looking plain greedy. 

Wilson

PS Does anyone know the exact description of the HDMI plug/cable that is required for the Q3. I have two different Mini-HDMI to standard HDMI cables but the socket looks smaller than the plugs on both of the different mini-HDMI cables I have. 

Edited by wlaidlaw

1 hour ago, wlaidlaw said:

PS Does anyone know the exact description of the HDMI plug/cable that is required for the Q3. I have two different Mini-HDMI to standard HDMI cables but the socket looks smaller than the plugs on both of the different mini-HDMI cables I have. 

You need a micro-hdmi connection on the camera end. It's also known as type D.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Qwertynm said:

I must be doing something wrong then. I just tried downloading the images using the USB-C cable of my CF Express Type B card reader (so not a slow cable) and it's again much slower than the wireless connection. I then tried my 100W Apple USB-C cable and again it was much slower to download the files from my Q3 to my M1 iPad Pro.  Wirelessly it takes around 2 seconds to download one image. Wired it takes about 30 seconds or more for one image so not even close. What setup are you using and where are you transferring the images @haelio

I'm at work now, so will reply with more info later; but for now, can you try setting the Q3 USB mode to 'Mass Storage' and connecting to a Mac (or PC I guess) with the cable and importing photos via Lightroom that way? You should see fast speeds that way at least. Also, would be worth trying to connect to your iPad Pro [1] with the Q3 in this mode too, it's what I use with my Sony a1 and the transfer speeds are very fast.

[1] Since you have an M1-powered iPad Pro (like mine) your port is Thunderbolt 3 so should be way faster than your SD card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb haelio:

can you try setting the Q3 USB mode to 'Mass Storage'

Classical case of user error on my part. The camera was set to Apple MFi and so wouldn’t be recognized by either my iPad nor my MacBook Pro and was slow downloading images via cable to the Leica Fotos App.

After setting the Camera to Mass Storage device it’s ‚lightning‘ fast 😉 and gets recognized by LR CC on the iPad and shows up in LR Classic on my MBP. My world is whole again.

100W cable is faster than the charging cable of the iPad obviously but the charging cable is not as slow as when the camera is set to Apple MFi. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Qwertynm said:

I don't think the conversation about preferences leads to anything fruitful. I wasn't claiming the Q3 colors are more accurate just that I liked them better in this particular comparison. Maybe that message wasn't clear enough (language barrier?). They are all fine cameras and I'm happy with my new lilttle toy next to the "workhorse" camera 🙂

Maybe some language/tone differences.  Since the Q3 is still in short supply, I think it's helpful to get as much user feedback and opinion as possible.  My opinion is that conversations about color accuracy and color preference can be fruitful when we are able to articulate content, lighting scenario, etc.  Enjoy your Q3!

• Thanks 1

vor 11 Stunden schrieb AlanD:

My opinion is that conversations about color accuracy and color preference can be fruitful when we are able to articulate content, lighting scenario, etc. 

yes, I agree. I understood it wrong then. To me color accuracy is objective and color preference subjective. Outside of reproductive work I don't see the need to have accurate colors all the time. When I started photography I chose the Canon 5D over the Nikon D700 because of the 'better colors' of the Canon. Thousands have chosen the D700 over the Canon because their preferences were different. What is right and what looks right to an individual does not have to be the same thing. Accurate colors in photography are sometimes desirable and sometimes you choose 'unaccurate' colors that are more fitting for  the scene. 

I never shot Portra 800 (only 400 overexposed 1-2 stops) and have only little experience with Ektar so can't comment on the color science behind the Canon sensors  compared to film. Shooting color film to me is something entirely different from shooting digital. In both workflows so many things can go wrong and the colors turn out different from what was intended or designed.

I shoot a lot of pictures of our little son. So many pictures in succession (spray and pray if you will). I have found the Canon R5 to change its WB in Auto way to drastically in the same scene. Sometimes with a 1000K difference from shot to shot in the same lighting and mere seconds apart. The Q3 has been more consistent in AWB. What stands out is that the K Value in Lightroom seems to be much higher than comparable shots from the Canon in the same light. This was also highlighted in the comparison on Leica Rumors between the Q2 and Q3 that the 3 seems cooler than its predecessor. If you're used to shooting with a manual WB on the Q3 this might be something to keep in mind.

I leave the Q3 on AWB now as I find it gives a good baseline for pp and choose to shoot the R5 in manual WB because to me this just doesn't work (subjective again).

Edited by Qwertynm

14 hours ago, hoolyproductions said:

Hadn't heard of this and gave it a try, also a perfect score which is nice 😃

There are four of us with perfect scores so far.  As I point out in post #125, this is well above-average color perception and is likely one reason why "we" like/debate Leica colors, even from different sensor or lens generations and why others may justifiably say they see no difference from an iPhone!

13 minutes ago, AlanD said:

There are four of us with perfect scores so far.  As I point out in post #125, this is well above-average color perception and is likely one reason why "we" like/debate Leica colors, even from different sensor or lens generations and why others may justifiably say they see no difference from an iPhone!

I got 0 as well. I’m slightly suspicious of this cut-down version of the FM100 test ( it’s obviously a valid test, but I’m just not convinced the best score is such a rarity).  I shall try the full test some time. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I got 0 as well. I’m slightly suspicious of this cut-down version of the FM100 test ( it’s obviously a valid test, but I’m just not convinced the best score is such a rarity).  I shall try the full test some time. 

I got 0 also. Maybe it is not so rare to get perfect score but at least the test shows if you have/have not some form of color vision deficiency (1/255 of woman and 1/12 of men have colour vision deficiency).

6 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I've just done it, first thing in the morning and with sleepy eyes.

I scored 2. Not sure what the range is and how far from perfect that makes me.

Ernst