Leica Mp reloading noise

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I reloaded my mp today, putting rewind switch to r and rewinding whole film then taking the bottom plate off, the camera makes weird noise like film rewinding at once really quickly. After reloading with a new film, the rewind switch was set to normal shooting mode again. What was the problem?

Im Korean, so please understand me if I named some parts wrong

Edited by Yeonho Jung

• Yeonho Jung changed the title to Leica Mp reloading noise

The noise was probably the sound of the partly rewound and tensioned film suddenly losing its tension as you let go of the rewind knob.  On the MP a clutch in the mechanism usually prevents this from happening, but is sometimes not strong enough if the tension placed by the winding film on the spool is too great.  I recommend turning the rewind knob in shorter turns, and doubt you will hear the sound again if you do.

As to the rewind switch, it will flip back from R on its own when you cock the shutter again after film loading.  There is no problem here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, M9reno said:

The noise was probably the sound of the partly rewound and tensioned film suddenly losing its tension as you let go of the rewind knob.  On the MP a clutch in the mechanism usually prevents this from happening, but is sometimes not strong enough if the tension placed by the winding film on the spool is too great.  I recommend turning the rewind knob in shorter turns, and doubt you will hear the sound again if you do.

As to the rewind switch, it will flip back from R on its own when you cock the shutter again after film loading.  There is no problem here.

Yeonho already rewound the whole film.

2 hours ago, Yeonho Jung said:

When I reloaded my mp today, putting rewind switch to r and rewinding whole film then taking the bottom plate off, the camera makes weird noise like film rewinding at once really quickly. After reloading with a new film, the rewind switch was set to normal shooting mode again. What was the problem?

Im Korean, so please understand me if I named some parts wrong

Nothing wrong, the tension in the cassette is releasing after the film is rewound into it.  I often get that no matter which camera I use.

• Like 1

Is it possible you heard the film counter reset?  Each time you take the bottom plate off after you've advanced the film advance lever a few times, the film counter resets with a bit of a brrrrp sound.  At least I hear that on my M4.  I always rewind film slowly as in a dry climate like mine, static electricity can be interesting.  What others have suggested is also a likely possibility.  It doesn't sound like your camera has a problem.

2 hours ago, Yeonho Jung said:

What was the problem?

There is no problem. 

The film is made of plastic, and plastic has a memory. If you bend a piece of plastic this memory will make it try and regain it's original shape. Film is made flat, so the film always tries to be flat, except it is wound tightly onto a spool in a cassette. When it is re-wound after being exposed and you let go of the rewind arm, or tension is relaxed, the film again tries to become flat and unwinds itself as much as it can inside the cassette, and this is the sound you hear. 

• Like 2