Thoughts on lenses and cameras for trip to Iceland?

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

007 Super Elmar S 24mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

OK so I am done now uploading pictures. Any comments welcome.

Let me give you my reflection about this trip with the S system. I really liked the pictures from this camera and lenses. Thy have a lot of dynamic range to work with in post and 36MP is more than enough to crop a little if needed. But The camera is heavy and obtrusive... Lenses are huge. And with fixed focale length I ended up being lazy and not changing the lease as often as needed. Plus changing the lenses in the field is calling dust to get on the sensor in this kind of environment... I ended up doing a lot of correction for dust particles on the sensor in my pictures and the camera is going in for a throughout sensor cleaning.

So I find myself wondering now if I should sell the S 007 and lenses to get a SL2 (I already have the SL2-S with the 3 leicas zooms). I think it might be more convenient to travel with 2 SL bodies with one zoom on each body. It might give more framing flexibility and it would probably not be heavier nor more cumbersome...

Curious to hear your thoughts

• Haha 1

I like your images of Iceland, and hope you had a good time.  Sounds like you did not find the S to be quite the perfect trekker's camera.

Regarding dust.  The S sensors are protected somewhat by the mirror and shutter assembly, when you change a lens on the SL2, for some reason, the sensor is completely exposed.  I had a lot of trouble with dust until I was advised by someone on a forum here to always point the camera down when changing lenses.  The L mount lenses are superb.  The resolution, when used properly is amazing, even the zooms are excellent compared to quite a few older Leica R primes.  I have not compared it to the SL2-S, but I am finding that my camera technique needs to be quite a bit better with the SL2 due partly to the resolution - it does not often forgive my sloppy use, even with the IBIS.  However, I find that a filtered blower deals with dust quite effectively now (I have an orange Zee Pro Blower, other colours / makes are available).

BTW did you manage to get to Ófærufoss https://icelandtravelguide.is/locations/ofaerufoss-waterfall/ ?

2 hours ago, Eclectic Man said:

I like your images of Iceland, and hope you had a good time.  Sounds like you did not find the S to be quite the perfect trekker's camera.

Regarding dust.  The S sensors are protected somewhat by the mirror and shutter assembly, when you change a lens on the SL2, for some reason, the sensor is completely exposed.  I had a lot of trouble with dust until I was advised by someone on a forum here to always point the camera down when changing lenses.  The L mount lenses are superb.  The resolution, when used properly is amazing, even the zooms are excellent compared to quite a few older Leica R primes.  I have not compared it to the SL2-S, but I am finding that my camera technique needs to be quite a bit better with the SL2 due partly to the resolution - it does not often forgive my sloppy use, even with the IBIS.  However, I find that a filtered blower deals with dust quite effectively now (I have an orange Zee Pro Blower, other colours / makes are available).

BTW did you manage to get to Ófærufoss https://icelandtravelguide.is/locations/ofaerufoss-waterfall/ ?

Yeah I did everything possible to avoid dust on sensor: pointing the camera downwards, turning my back to the wind and getting everything ready in my bag before unmounting the lens from the camera. Honestly I think I manage to have the sensor exposed for no more than one second when I change lenses, but the situation in Iceland is a real nightmare with strong wind blowing dust all around all day long... Using 2 bodies with a zoom on each one should definitely help.

And no I did not had a chance to see Ófærufoss. It was my third trip to Iceland and I still have so many beautiful places to discover. Will surely return 😉

On 8/16/2023 at 9:35 AM, Pierre68 said:

OK so I am done now uploading pictures. Any comments welcome.

Let me give you my reflection about this trip with the S system. I really liked the pictures from this camera and lenses. Thy have a lot of dynamic range to work with in post and 36MP is more than enough to crop a little if needed. But The camera is heavy and obtrusive... Lenses are huge. And with fixed focale length I ended up being lazy and not changing the lease as often as needed. Plus changing the lenses in the field is calling dust to get on the sensor in this kind of environment... I ended up doing a lot of correction for dust particles on the sensor in my pictures and the camera is going in for a throughout sensor cleaning.

So I find myself wondering now if I should sell the S 007 and lenses to get a SL2 (I already have the SL2-S with the 3 leicas zooms). I think it might be more convenient to travel with 2 SL bodies with one zoom on each body. It might give more framing flexibility and it would probably not be heavier nor more cumbersome...

Curious to hear your thoughts

I really enjoyed seeing your photos!  Terrific. Thanks for sharing.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

I´m back from Greenland and Iceland. I posted pictures in the travel section for your friendly attention. The picture are mixed S007 and SL2-S shots.

Here is the link to the thread:

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Maybe, it is of use for somebody, to share my experience during my trip to Iceland and Greenland. I had with me

• Leica X-U
    I thought I was a good idea for nasty weather. I did not really use it.

• S007 with 70mm and 30-90mm zoom. 
    This was a good choice. The zoom gave the flexibility not to change lenses on the Zodiacs, but the front lens is very exposed during rain (the lens hood is nearly useless  during rain). When raining, the 70mm is the better choice, because it has a deep lens hood. However, a front filter a lot of tissues are needed.

• S007/70mm

• SL2-S with 16-35mm and Sigma 150-600mm

I did not make many shoots with the wide angle zoom, because it was difficult to get close the subjects in many situations. It was useful for close ups. Due to the absence of a tilted screen, watertight clothes are essential. The Sigma worked fine. Due to the absence of wildlife, the 90-280mm might have been the better choice.

• Tripod
    A had a small Gitzo traveller with me, which was perfect for flowers, but used on board of the ship, its working height gave limits. Next time I would take a larger tripod with me.

• S to L adaptor

Initially I took it with to have a back up in case the S007 has a problem. I found it useful to use the SL2-S with the S-lenses to play with B/W modes and to see the results of the perspective control of the SL2-S.

Andreas

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Spent the past month reading and re-reading this long, seven page post and I have a few questions. 

But first - my standard travel kit is an M10R and a ZM 25mm f/2.8, a CV 50mm f/1.5 and a CV 90mm f/2.8. Those three lenses are always with me. The 25 is used most (60%) with an equal split between the 50 and the 90. For working streets or for a simple one-camera-one-lens day the 25mm is the lens of choice.

Next March I'm traveling to Iceland for two weeks with my son (a Nikon guy) and plan to bring my trusty M10R and an as-yet-purchased SL2. For lenses I'm planning, as always, to take the 25/50/90 for the M10R. Also planning to bring an as-yet-purchased Sigma L 28-70mm f/2.8 and Urth's M to L adapter for the SL2.

Most of the time, I believe the 25mm will be mounted on the M10R and the 90mm will be mounted on the SL2 (w/the adapter).

Regarding the 28-70mm L, a lot of folks in this post recommend a 24-70mm or the 24-90mm. As those lenses are much bigger than I carry normally I'm thinking the smaller 28-70mm would, regardless of the size of the SL2, be a better fit for my normally small kit. Into the future, I foresee the SL2 as solid companion to the M10R (I don't have to learn a new menu system!) and when home or traveling locally, the 28-70mm seems to be a well regarded, small utility L lens for daily carry. 

Questions: 

1. Regarding the telephoto focal length, instead of a 90mm, should I bring along a Tele-Elmar 135mm f/4? This post indicates lots of folks bring along a 70-200mm or the 90-280mm. This implies to me a 135mm may be a better fit. Seems like I will need only one of them, not sure which focal length will be "better" for Iceland in March.

2. I have a CV 15mm f/4.5 (the small non-rangefinder coupled LTM version with an M adapter) that I use when I need really wide shots. For Northern Lights, will the 25mm be wide enough or should I consider bringing along the 15mm as well?

3. Since the 28-70mm L lens would cover the 50mm focal length, perhaps I should leave the 50mm at home? 

Many thanks for your guidance.

vr/Jim

If I were you, I would leave the SL2 home and just take the M10R with 25, 50 and 90mm lenses. The 135mm can certainly be useful, but if it were just one or the other, I would take the 90mm as it is possible to crop 90mm to 135, but not to crop 135 to 90...the 90mm lenses also have one to two extra stops of light if you are handheld. I never use wider than 21mm, but if you want to, then bring the 15mm. I don't think the SL2 will give you much over the M10R in the normal focal lengths. If you wanted to bring the 90-280, that would be another story. I think you will likely have a nicer time if you are not lugging around a full M system and an SL2 on top of it. I just don't see how it is helping you. Don't get me wrong, I love the SL2...it is my main camera, but I just think that if you are traveling the M series makes more sense and you have it already, so it seems like a no brainer. Since your son is already bringing a Nikon kit, perhaps you can borrow it for a shot or two if there is something you cannot get with the M already.

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 2

One thing you have to keep in mind when travelling to Iceland is that the weather can get really nasty...in fact is is really nasty most of the time. And changing lenses in the middle of a shoot can become challenging or even risky. I would personally favor a 2 cameras 2 lenses set up (25 & 50mm) with  a third lens (90mm) that you could mount on one of the body while in your hotel room, depending on the situation you will be facing. And once out side you can shoot with Both camera without having to swap lenses...

@Stuart Richardson, I would disagree only with your point to leave the SL2 at home.  I agree with @Pierre68 that a second body is good.  Especially when they take the same memory card.

I agree with the 90-135 choice, both cameras have enough density in the pixels you can crop to a 135 if needed and still have a good sized image for printing (I used the S-180 a lot in iceland and it is close to the 135mm).

I also agree with Stuart on the wide angle.  I used the S-24mm on northern lights and the f/3.5 minimum wasn’t a problem.  If I remember right I was shooting at about ISO 3200 for somewhere between 4-8 seconds and that was with the S007.  I think the higher ISO’s a better now.

You can bring the M-L adapter for switching lenses to the SL2, which I do a lot and works well.  However, one really versatile L lens that is weather sealed may make the difference on a bad weather day.  I’ve shot all day in really cold weather in the rain in Iceland with the S system and one lens.  I still use both of those and did not have an issue.  I would not have done that with any M camera and lens.

I know you’ll have a great time with your son!