Thoughts on lenses and cameras for trip to Iceland?

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, if you are doing hiking and/or backpacking forget anything but the Q I would say. If you are driving around by car and do not intend to take the camera equipment on the back for a too long time, the other systems offer of course greater flexibility and/or quality. I have done the Rolleiflex 6008AF and Hy6 with film backs, and once also a Leaf AFi (essentially a Hy6 with Leaf digital back included). One cannot compare film to digital, it is an entirely different process. More artisanal, more deliberated. Comparing the Leaf AFi to the Leica S it is a fact that the latter is nimbler and quicker in operation. But while the process is obviously different, the results are comparable. In the beginning I made the mistake of carrying too much gear. Cumbersome and some ultimately ends up not being used at all because of weight and/or size. That's why my advice was to stick to as little as possible: one body with one lens, or perhaps two lenses. I had good results with the Schneider 50mm AF lens for 6008 AF and Hy6 (and took the Schneider 80mm AF lens as backup). Or with the Leica S Vario 30-90 (essentially meaning you are not required to change lenses somewhere in the field, which I found a tremendous bonus in dusty etc situations). The Leica S gave me ultimately more 'fun' during the picture taking process (once took it in a backpack for a daytrip by plane to the Westman Islands from Reykjavik, which was a burden during my day's walking around), but nothing beats the 6x6 prints or slides I got from the Rolleiflex cameras... To each his own I guess. As the saying goes, the best system is the one you actually have with you.

Edited by leicapages
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, leicapages said:

Well, if you are doing hiking and/or backpacking forget anything but the Q I would say. If you are driving around by car and do not intend to take the camera equipment on the back for a too long time, the other systems offer of course greater flexibility and/or quality. I have done the Rolleiflex 6008AF and Hy6 with film backs, and once also a Leaf AFi (essentially a Hy6 with Leaf digital back included). One cannot compare film to digital, it is an entirely different process. More artisanal, more deliberated. Comparing the Leaf AFi to the Leica S it is a fact that the latter is nimbler and quicker in operation. But while the process is obviously different, the results are comparable. In the beginning I made the mistake of carrying too much gear. Cumbersome and some ultimately ends up not being used at all because of weight and/or size. That's why my advice was to stick to as little as possible: one body with one lens, or perhaps two lenses. I had good results with the Schneider 50mm AF lens for 6008 AF and Hy6 (and took the Schneider 80mm AF lens as backup). Or with the Leica S Vario 30-90 (essentially meaning you are not required to change lenses somewhere in the field, which I found a tremendous bonus in dusty etc situations). The Leica S gave me ultimately more 'fun' during the picture taking process (once took it in a backpack for a daytrip by plane to the Westman Islands from Reykjavik, which was a burden during my day's walking around), but nothing beats the 6x6 prints or slides I got from the Rolleiflex cameras... To each his own I guess. As the saying goes, the best system is the one you actually have with you.

I recently owned the Rollei 6008i kit--for around 48 hrs! I'm in awe of its image quality, but I couldn't possibly imagine carrying it comfortably for 5 miles--which is my standard for a carryable camera. But I agree that nothing is more satisfying than the shots with the Blad or Flex. They've completely ruined me for digital.

As to overall travel weight, I also agree. I once found myself with the 43mm (=21mm on a 35mm) stuck on my Mamiya 7 and yet managed to take a lot of really satisfying photos, despite having 2 other lens lying unused in my cabin. I spent a lot more time thinking about how to get the most out of the lens on my camera and no time worrying about changing lenses. Sometimes less is more.

Edited by bags27
  • Thanks 1

If I have to walk long distances I carry two Ms or even my “old” (it’s not so old) Q. Weight and walk don’t go well together. Using the S the walk needs to be rather short, but it is a quite mobile camera. Sometimes, for a particular image, I use the Linhof or the Phase One, but that requires a tripod and a very deliberate and slow operation, and in those cases I have taken the image already and it is a deliberate coming back, just to do the one photo. And walk as little as possible. For a trip in Iceland, an S is the largest I would carry, and for short walks.

Edited by irenedp

It is interesting you mention the Rollei as a film option with the S system.  I started playing with the Hasselblads shooting 120 film this year and while I haven’t tried it yet, have the adapter for the CF lenses to the S.  I contemplate throwing a body and a few film backs in with a lens or two, but starting them. I know the quality of the S lenses is superb in part because of the matching to the body.  

However, I like to shoot film as much as digital. So, the ability to work with two systems keeps things compact.  I’d probably take the 24/45/70 on the S and the 80/120 on the hasselblad and share the 120 between systems.

This is what I like most about the S/SL system is the ability to share lenses on the SL from almost any reasonable Leica or other camera system.

Too much gear on a trip?  Probably, but until I make a career of it, picking lenses to take is a tough task.  Before my first trip to Iceland I took a ‘practice’ trip locally, but with the gear I wanted to take to Iceland.  I hiked with the entire system in my pack and stopped and took pictures.  It certainly helped me take less.  So, I think carrying and shooting before the big trip can save some back pain and provide some confidence of taking the gear you will use.

Just a thought.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2023 at 6:27 PM, ropo54 said:

It seems that several LF members are going to Iceland, and/or some have already travelled there.  

Suggestions for cameras and lenses?

Thanks, Rob

When are you going?  It would be nice to see some of your results and hear about your experience. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Eclectic Man said:

When are you going?  It would be nice to see some of your results and hear about your experience. 

Thanks. Mid July 2023.  

Will share my thoughts when I return.  Looking forward to it.  

Still angsting about what to take, but I suppose that's par for the course/  As was said in a post, I'll try to make the most out of whichever (lens/lenses) I do take!

Rob

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, davidmknoble said:

Before my first trip to Iceland I took a ‘practice’ trip locally, but with the gear I wanted to take to Iceland.  I hiked with the entire system in my pack and stopped and took pictures.  It certainly helped me take less.  So, I think carrying and shooting before the big trip can save some back pain and provide some confidence of taking the gear you will use.

That's exactly what I am planning to do

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 3:19 PM, ropo54 said:

Thanks. Mid July 2023.  

Will share my thoughts when I return.  Looking forward to it.  

Still angsting about what to take, but I suppose that's par for the course/  As was said in a post, I'll try to make the most out of whichever (lens/lenses) I do take!

Rob

Hey, Rob,

In mid July you will not get much opportunity to se the northern lights, so don't bother with preparation for them.  I found that it was so light overnight, a comfortable sleeping blindfold would have been very useful to get some kip, and I was trekking, so genuinely tired from physical exertion.

If you get the chance, Ofaerufoss is a very spectacular, but off the beaten path, waterfall.  It used to have a natural bridge, but that fell down some years ago, it is still worth visiting form a photographic point of view.

If you like seafood, you are in for a treat the best soup I have ever had was at a hotel near the Blue Lagoon resort.  A vegetarian might struggle, though as the Icelanders do like their fish and meat.

Have lots of fun!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ropo54 said:

Thanks . . . will make a note to bring a sleeping aid; hopefully some blackout curtains!  

(Will make an note on Ofaerusfoss).

Rob

My kid swears by the Manta Sleep Mask, and I agree.

We were in northern Norway in July several years ago, and it was pretty spectacular seeing the sun set around 2:30 am!

• Thanks 1

no northern lights in mid-July obviously but I have seen them not only in winter time but as early as September as well, if conditions are right. Nothing more magical than sitting in a hot pool in the middle of snow with the green ghostly spectacle in the skies over your head :) . Have had some decent shots of northern lights with the S 007 on the Leica mini tripod in the Westfjords. The trick is to avoid clear moon, too many clouds, and lights around you. A good website with predictions of aurora borealis (northern lights) is https://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/aurora/

• Like 1

They happen all year, it just has to be big enough and dark enough. June and July there is very little chance because it simply never gets actually dark. Early August is also quite a challenge. Late August and September are fine (if you are fine looking at the darkest hours, which is basically midnight to two am, with the window expanding as the days go on). 

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 1

Just back from 15 days Iceland.
My main (and only) camera was the SL2-s and I had a few lenses with me.
In the end, 99% of all shots were done with the SL 24-90mm.
Although a bit heavy, I was very happy that I took this lens with me, it was the best solution for me.
No change of lenses and a wide range of focal length that corresponded to my needs.

Just a little tip for carrying an SL with the 24-90 lens: I use the Hendrix RocknRoll strap that does of course not reduce the weight of the combo on my shoulder but it feels less heavy.
It allowed me to carry the camera plus lens for 2 weeks without problems, and I am not a strong man at all 🙂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, satijntje said:

Just back from 15 days Iceland.
My main (and only) camera was the SL2-s and I had a few lenses with me.
In the end, 99% of all shots were done with the SL 24-90mm.
Although a bit heavy, I was very happy that I took this lens with me, it was the best solution for me.
No change of lenses and a wide range of focal length that corresponded to my needs.

Just a little tip for carrying an SL with the 24-90 lens: I use the Hendrix RocknRoll strap that does of course not reduce the weight of the combo on my shoulder but it feels less heavy.
It allowed me to carry the camera plus lens for 2 weeks without problems, and I am not a strong man at all 🙂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Beautiful picture

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2023 at 10:19 AM, ropo54 said:

Rob,

Another thought.  Remember that the S system has some give in the files and you can crop.  So, cropping from a 120 view to a 180 is the same as using an SL2-S (37mp to 24mp).  I picked up a 30-90 zoom, and from my research the 35-60,70 range is superb.  The outer ends are pretty good, but not as good as the primes.  This turned out be true.  I’ll enjoy that lens, but the filter systems I use (Schneider and Breakthrough) dont’ have 95mm filter threads, which is also the filter for the 24mm.

That said, If I was going today, I would probably take the 24, the 30-90 (with polarizer to fit), and the 120mm (with polarizer).  I would still through in my 2-stop grads and I have some breakthrough 3-stop polarizers that thread on.  Using a tripod, I can hold the grad filter in front of the lens and even move it up and down for a longer exposure to blend.  Just helps with the bright sky days.

Since I’ll carry extra weight, I would probably throw in the 45 and 70 because the 70 is just small and easy and I like the 45 view (35mm) and both are really nice wide open and the 30-90 is just harder to walk about with in lower light.

One system, high dynamic range making post easier and less blown hi/low, and plenty of room to crop.  

Btw, this thread got so long, I don’t remember if I said this earlier, but I also did some nice vertical shots and horizontal pan shots stitching together 3 that came out really nice (central southern mountains, not coastal water or waterfalls).

Getting closer to leave time!  Excited for you!

David.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Little update upon my oncoming travel: Yesterday I hiked for 3 hours in the Swiss Alps with my S007 and 3 lenses (24 70 and 120) just to figure if I could make it in Iceland trekking to the new volcano site. I am 55 years old and quite fit but heck... that was quite a load to carry for 3 hours (8,5 kgs + drinks and food and clothes... = 12 kgs)

I was planning to carry 5 lenses:24, 35, 70, 120 and 180... so probably like 14kg.... Does not look fun to me 

So now I am finding myself wondering if I should take the SL2 with 3 zooms (16-35, 24-90 and 90-280) instead...

Any input from personal experience would be welcome