Thoughts on lenses and cameras for trip to Iceland?

ropo54

Everything there looks great there ; 16-280mm and two weather sealed IBIS bodies - if you want to hoover it all in from the group tour bus …. but it’s all been seen before, so therein lies the opportunity to tell a different story; the ideal of going light and hiking up rivers with just a Q2 seems quite appealing to me.

• Like 1

@ropo54, I read the prior post and this is a good post.  I think it also applies to areas like Greenland and Antarctica.  After having been to Iceland, and on my way to Greenland this year I'd also note that there are weight restrictions for carryon's for the smaller flights that land in Greenland and get to the tip of South America.  I did not have those restrictions getting to Iceland.

I used the S007 in Iceland and the 24S is perfect for northern lights and separation of the Ice on Diamond Beach.  Surprisingly the 70 was perfect for a large number of shots.  I prefer the 180, but I know many that prefer the 120.  It is a matter of what you want for the longer reach on a landscape.  The 45mm also has a strong use case (35mm view) if you have the 24 with you. If not, then I think the 35S (28mm view) is a good compromise to pair with the 70.

In Greenland we will be on ships much of the time, so I am considering taking my SL because of the stabilization.  I use the SL2-S because of the dynamic range, so honestly, I am probably going to take the M11 and SL to Greenland with a long SL lens, a summicron prime and some M glass.  It won't be as weather proof, but will be smaller and lighter, which is where I probably need to end up. I'll probably also throw an MP in to shoot some film.

Hard call for sure!

Edited by davidmknoble
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, davidmknoble said:

@ropo54, I read the prior post and this is a good post.  I think it also applies to areas like Greenland and Antarctica.  After having been to Iceland, and on my way to Greenland this year I'd also note that there are weight restrictions for carryon's for the smaller flights that land in Greenland and get to the tip of South America.  I did not have those restrictions getting to Iceland.

I used the S007 in Iceland and the 24S is perfect for northern lights and separation of the Ice on Diamond Beach.  Surprisingly the 70 was perfect for a large number of shots.  I prefer the 180, but I know many that prefer the 120.  It is a matter of what you want for the longer reach on a landscape.  The 45mm also has a strong use case (35mm view) if you have the 24 with you. If not, then I think the 35S (28mm view) is a good compromise to pair with the 70.

In Greenland we will be on ships much of the time, so I am considering taking my SL because of the stabilization.  I use the SL2-S because of the dynamic range, so honestly, I am probably going to take the M11 and SL to Greenland with a long SL lens, a summicron prime and some M glass.  It won't be as weather proof, but will be smaller and lighter, which is where I probably need to end up. I'll probably also throw an MP in to shoot some film.

Hard call for sure!

Having toured along the W coast of Greenland on boat, I would definitely chose a system with stabilisation. SL2-S would be my pick (as well), possibly with SL24-90 and Canon 400mm f4 DO v2 with 1,4 extender (for long reach). And possibly SL 35APO.

On Iceland, with mainly land-based photography (for most people, I guess), I would love to bring the S-system, possibly with S24, 70, and 180. And a tripod, clearly...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One reviewer took an S 007 and loads of lenses to Iceland: https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2015/09/my-photographic-adventure-through-iceland-with-the-leica-s-typ007/ But I doubt you have access to quite so many S lenses.

For many of the spectacular waterfalls a standard or medium wide angle can usually get the whole thing in.  To shoot the aurora a tripod and cable release, and practice with manual focus is useful, as well as good high ISO performance.

Non-photographic equipment - warm clothes, and if you go out at night with a tripod I'd advise a strap for carrying said tripod or insulating pads.  Metal and carbon tripods conduct heat away form your hands extremely well, even when wearring thick mountaineering type gloves, as I discovered.

Have fun whatever you take!

• Thanks 1

I went in 2014 with M240, Elmarit 28mm asph and Apo-Summicron-M 90mm. I then didn't have the Apo-Summicron-M 75mm, which I would have preferred.

Now, I would just take the Q2: I prefer travelling light, and not overthinking my photography. 

If you want to get near waterfalls and geysers, and assuming it will rain a lot, your camera and lenses need to be weather resistant. My photo of Dettifoss on p33 of that book was taken in heavy spray, and I had to take a lot of care to dry out both camera and lens after emerging from the mist. Another plus for the Q2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was in Iceland in February.  I prefer winter.

I’ve no idea what cameras and lenses you have, assuming you at least have a camera and a couple of primes or a zoom lens, take what you have or would normally take on holiday.  There is no need to buy anything extra.

I took my usual M10-R with 28, 50, & 90mm summicrons and a Gitzo 1550T carbon tripod. 

Iceland is one of the World’s top destinations for landscape photographers with good reason, have a great time!

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 2

I traveled through Iceland 10 weeks in 2021 (end of July through mid October) in a 4x4 camper truck. I had the S007 and an M10 with me.  I used the S when shooting near the truck and the M when hiking (except for the rare occasion when I hiked with the S).  

On the S, I mostly used the 30-90 zoom and the 24 mm.  Occasionally the 120 and the 180.  On the M, the 50 cron APO, a 24 3.8, the Voigtländer 15 mm, the MATE, and 75 cron APO.  

Obviously, I did not have any weight restrictions and, with the exception of hikes, could carry whatever I wanted. I used a tripod perhaps 25-30% of the time. 

As you probably know, Iceland is very windy, and in the Highlands also very dusty.  Plus, there can be a lot of rain.  Changing lenses therefore can be a challenge. A zoom is certainly a plus.  As is weather sealing.  

Anyway, it’s a fantastic and unique place with endless photo opportunities.  Enjoy! 

Georg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Im am very much in doubt if should take my SL2-S with the 24-90 plus the 35mm ASPH Summicron  or my M10-R with WATE and 50 and 90mm.
Very much concerned about the weather resistance of the M10 if we are going to be close to the water falls, but the weight of the SL combo will be a lot for me.
Difficult  decision.

Ropo54,  Based on my past Iceland experiences with the S system, I would recommend the S 24, 70 and 180.  Helged wrote the same above.  If using the S system, by all means take the tripod.  Last, I wouldn't take more than three S lenses.  Have a great trip, Iceland is an amazing country.   r/ Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, satijntje said:

Im am very much in doubt if should take my SL2-S with the 24-90 plus the 35mm ASPH Summicron  or my M10-R with WATE and 50 and 90mm.
Very much concerned about the weather resistance of the M10 if we are going to be close to the water falls, but the weight of the SL combo will be a lot for me.
Difficult  decision.

I think it is fairly easy to not get close enough to a waterfall to avoid the spray. It would be more about having a long enough lens that would be appropriate. Or, frankly, just not taking a photo of that particular waterfall...there are tons of waterfalls and the famous ones have been photographed to death. If you do want to be photographing in all conditions, then a weather sealed body will be very helpful, but it is not required necessarily. I shoot film all the time and none of those bodies are weather sealed, but they are still working after 15 years of use here. If you are ok with mist and light drizzle, I think your M system will be totally fine. It just will not do too well in horizontal rain or very wet conditions. Regardless of what camera you use, I would recommend bringing a waterproof bag (not necessarily fully sealed, just something like a Billingham). My first trip here I used an MP and Konica Hexar RF, and they did very well. Having a lighter camera and lenses is a big benefit if photography is not the sole purpose of the trip. I do think the SL2S and 24-90 will be a versatile pairing, however.

Living here, I primarily use the SL2 at this point. The S system also does very well here. I found that I mostly shot with the 35mm, 70mm and 120mm. I found the 180mm a bit too long for most of the mountain landscapes here. The 120 was more versatile (a more usable focal length but also a 1 to 2 macro...), and I also found it to be sharper and more accurate in achieving focus. The brighter view in the screen is also nicer, as it is a stop and a half brighter than the 180mm. The S generally has enough resolution to crop in a bit too, if necessary, while the reverse is not possible. I had a friend here who was set on getting the 180mm, and after giving mine a try, he agreed with me that the 120 was a bit better for the landscape here. The biggest challenge I had with the 180mm for landscapes is that it is often a bit too long to have an entire mountain from ground to peak in frame, but too short to really bring it in close at the peak. But everyone's needs are different, so perhaps you will have a different response. With the SL system, I love the 90-280, but I generally find myself shooting between 90 and 120 or so, or 200mm+. With the SL, my kit is the 24mm 3.5 Sigma, 35mm and 50mm APO Summicrons and the 90-280. I think by volume, the 50mm has the most photos. The 24mm is my least used.

Anyway, that is a lot of text, so below is a random photo with the S2. The CCD bodies always had a lovely color and contrast range.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

I brought 24/70/120. If do it again, I think either 35/70 or 35/100(120). I will bring 2nd system or 2nd camera though. 

for 180, I agree it is a little bit long at Iceland and also IBIS or tripod may needed for focusing and shooting. I use it mostly on SL2/2S. 

• Like 2

I've stayed silent but have ready everyone's posts and appreciate the back and forth dialogue.  

X1D II with 45P for the wide angle?  

Then it would be the S007 or SL2-s, with maybe 2 lenses.   (Could also bring the S adapter L).  No tripod planned at the moment.

Options: HC 35; S 30-90; 70; 100, 120, 180 or SL 50 1.4, 90-280, Sigma 16-28

Rob

Edited by ropo54

Ropo54,  You have lots of choices.  Based on what I read from your last post, if your 30-90 is spot on with calibration, that is a great choice with a 180.  You can stitch an ultra wide angle since you don't have the S 24.  I used the S 24 the most in Iceland for my landscapes.  You could take the S007, but really you need a tripod to get the best resolution and no mirror slap.  Then again, my work was for demanding clients.  You could take the SL2-S  with the adapter and get the same results with IBIS and without the tripod..depending on the light.  It also depends on your genre of photography too.  I am certain, you will get great photographs not matter what you do.  Have a great trip.  r/ Mark

PS  The S 24 is by far the best MF lens for landscape photography.  

Try: https://www.camerawest.com/used/leica-24mm-f3-5-super-elmar-s-boxed-4253980

• Thanks 2

Iceland is on my list.

In general terms, when planning for a trip like this, I need some disciplined thinking - otherwise I end up lugging around heavy gear I don’t use.

Lately, my choices have become either an SL, 24-90 zoom, 180/2.8 APO Elmarit-R, and converter (with tripod and filters); or an M camera, with 28/50 or 35/75 combination.  If I go the M route, I feel liberated, then I start adding - 21 …

For Iceland, I’d definitely go the SL route.  I appreciate @Stuart Richardson’s experience above, but sometimes, even with landsacpes, I like to have the choice of reach.  I might add a 21 to that as well … and a physiotherapist to treat my back, if I couldn’t persuade her to carry my camera gear … 😂

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2023 at 3:06 AM, ropo54 said:

…….  No tripod planned at the moment.

Unless you will be happy with a collection of record shots I would seriously rethink that if I were you.

Iceland has so much to offer, especially for creative photographers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ropo54,  Based on my experience, I really agree with the Ouroboros above post.  No matter the system used, take a tripod at least for insurance.  There are so many amazing places to photograph.  If you want to create memorable masterpiece photographs a tripod is a must bring along.   r/ Mark

• Like 3