Thoughts on lenses and cameras for trip to Iceland?

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

just for my honeymoon in 1987 in iceland i decided to buy an indispensable gitzo tripod that i still have (as my wife ! ). However, I must add that at the time I used kodchrome 25 and 64 asa and there was no ibis! But in any case the tripod I still consider very very  useful as i like very much low light situation and i preferably use the basic value of the iso.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just another +1 on the tripod.  If nothing else you will use it for northern lights.  I think I had 8 sec exposures or thereabouts. 

I used the 70 S more than I thought I would the 35 and 45.  I used the 24 occasionally but it was superb for northern lights. Worth carrying just for that. 

I still debate the 120 v 180 and have done super shots with the 180 of sheep, buildings and some other locations. However with the S3 no question I would take the 120.  With the S007 not sure.  

• Thanks 1

For what I’ve read you got great advice, so I’m afraid I’ll be repetitive, but here’s mine. As David Farkas says “it depends” -of what you want to do.  But as a general rule I would take a sturdy tripod (something like a Gitzo Mountaineer), a set of NDs and grads if you want to do long exposures, your Leica S, with a wide angle, the 70 and a longer lens (maybe a 120?);  and as well a light portable camera, maybe a Q or Q2, or an M with a 28 or 35. Those come very handy. You may want to take a snapshot and carrying your S and the bag all the time will be a nuisance. A 4x4 will leave you close but in places like Vatnajokull you may have to walk.  Also take lots of batteries  You can have very cold days and then battery life becomes a joke  

Re S wide angles, Landscapes in Iceland are at times distant grand scenes so if you use the 24 mountains and faraway details will come rather small.  I would go with the 30 or the 35. And if you want to do any panorama -which help- a panoramic head or a t/s lens.  There are a few from Mamiya 4x5 that perform well and can be adapted. 

Long exposures are a good idea not only with dawns and dusks but also for instance for the glaciers and the beaches. Here’s a couple examples -both pretty old, from 2017-, but they can make a “me too” postcard into a special memento to cherish. 

I’ve never been back but really loved my time in Iceland. Enjoy your trip! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

Agree with the wide angle recommendations. The nature here somehow always feels in the distance so having an extreme wide angle often makes everything too small. 

I do use the 21mm on the Leica M as I often crop to a 2:1 ratio so it depends a bit on what your final image ratio is.  When I had the 24mm S I found the lens amazing but not really suited for most situations and have settled on the 35mm S instead. 

• Like 2

Pack what you can without having to check the camera, has always been my motto.  If I have to check it, I take something out.  That said, I took the Gitzo Series 3 to iceland.  Photographing with my tripod in the ocean and in streams was easier and I had no tripod shake whatsoever.   So, pack the sturdiest tripod you can.

Here is some non-northern lights with the 24mm.  You can get really close to things and just add some background.  If you have the 24, I’d add it if you have room.  You just won’t use it often.  Otherwise, see if you can borrow one while you are there.

(From my ipad, may not be best resolution)

Edited by davidmknoble
add ipad note.
  • Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you have the S-24, you should take it. It is my most-used lens. These are all with the 24.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

These are examples of the S-180 in Iceland. More at website.

• Like 8

On 5/11/2023 at 10:14 AM, djmay said:

These are examples of the S-180 in Iceland. More at website.

Thank you djmay... I thought I could do without the 180mm. Until I saw your pictures. I just pulled the trigger on a used 180 Elmer S because of you 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Take EVERYTHING YOU CAN AFFORD TO CARRY. You will use it all. Long focal lengths especially.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 5/18/2023 at 1:37 PM, Al Brown said:

Take EVERYTHING YOU CAN AFFORD TO CARRY. You will use it all. Long focal lengths especially.

Wonderful image for a travel magazine.  Great country to visit...very photogenic.

Concerning lens choices for travel:  For those with a M-Leica outfit I would take a normal 50mm f2 along with the extremes of 21mm f3.4 SEM and 135mm f3.4 APO-Telyt and a lightweight tripod.  I prefer keeping equipment simple and lightweight.  Dunno about S-cameras but agree maximum telephotos can bring dramatic results.

Edited by m410
  • Thanks 1

Now I am thinking of 24, 35,70, 120 and 180mm in a recently received f-stop Ajna backpack with the large insert. I love this bag! 

I will bring a tripod: Leofoto Poseidon

and filters : Kase ND CPL and Nisi ND Grad

Maybe the M10 M with a 50mm f/1.4.... Not sure

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pierre68 said:

Note that the S-70 has a slimmer depth of field than the M 50 1.4….  Unless you want something small to carry for a reason, I would leave it at home.  (Extra battery charger, etc.).

• Thanks 1

Always bring a backup.

9 hours ago, Pierre68 said:

Now I am thinking of 24, 35,70, 120 and 180mm in a recently received f-stop Ajna backpack with the large insert. I love this bag! 

I will bring a tripod: Leofoto Poseidon

and filters : Kase ND CPL and Nisi ND Grad

On 4/17/2023 at 7:27 PM, ropo54 said:

It seems that several LF members are going to Iceland, and/or some have already travelled there.  

Suggestions for cameras and lenses?

Thanks, Rob

I have used several systems over the many years of trips to Iceland. Rolleiflex 6008AF and assorted lenses, Rolleiflex Hy6, Leica S 007 with Vario 30-90, Leica Q. Both in summer and in winter times. Depends on what you are after and how much schlepping you are willing to do. If size and weight are the main consideration, a Q series is unbeatable. I have found that a wideangle lens gives you satisfaction in most occasions. When I used the Vario 30-90 it was usually towards the wideangle end. I usually find that 'simplifying' your kit to one body + one (or max two) lens(es) gives one the most enjoyable practical experience in the field.

Edited by leicapages
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, leicapages said:

I have used several systems over the many years of trips to Iceland. Rolleiflex 6008AF and assorted lenses, Rolleiflex Hy6, Leica S 007 with Vario 30-90, Leica Q. Both in summer and in winter times. Depends on what you are after and how much schlepping you are willing to do. If size and weight are the main consideration, a Q series is unbeatable. I have found that a wideangle lens gives you satisfaction in most occasions. When I used the Vario 30-90 it was usually towards the wideangle end. I usually find that 'simplifying' your kit to one body + one (or max two) lens(es) gives one the most enjoyable practical experience in the field.

How would you compare the different systems for convenience and comfort (by that I mean weight)? I have all those systems with the exception of the Q, the S being the only digital one I would use, the others being film cameras. They Hy6 with a digital beck seems too much of a beast to lug around much, but the S and its lenses are still among the heaviest.