M11 Sensor Cleaning at Leica Store

AndrewK

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, jaapv said:

Visible Dust Smear Away - like magic.

Is the Smear Away more for stubborn stains while the Sensor Clean Solution more appropriate for conventional cleaning if the Rocket and Pentax stick are not enough?  Is there still a problem of oil splattering with new cameras;  I haven't seen those threads in quite some time.

8 hours ago, jaapv said:

It is recommended to do a wet clean of the sensor at least once a year regardless of the presence of dust to remove haze. More often if you are in an industrial area. 

I have never heard of that. Do you know of a source showing or discussing the haze if not cleaned yearly?

So far, I wet clean sensors only when I see issues with Sensor Loupe. Depending on the situation, it could be once a week to every second year.

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

I have never heard of that. Do you know of a source showing or discussing the haze if not cleaned yearly?

So far, I wet clean sensors only when I see issues with Sensor Loupe. Depending on the situation, it could be once a week to every second year.

I call common sense. The sensor is a piece of glass, open to the ambient air, including Diesel fumes, industrial pollution, fine dust, etc. Do you really think that it is immune against haze? Ask your window cleaner for the frequency needed in your area, maybe somewhat less often, as there is a lens covering it most of the time. But it is far more exposed than the inside of a lens, which we all know collects haze over the years.

I bought a  used 601 recently. The dealer had puffed it by a blower, so no huge amounts of dust, but the images improved quite visibly in contrast and sharpness after I wet cleaned it.  I used Smear Away, as especially exhaust fumes are quite greasy and this camera had been used in Amsterdam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, Terin said:

The sensor on my M11 has some dust that I would like to blow away.
But I don't understand how to lift the curtain that covers the sensor
How you do it ?
Thank you

Turn on sensor cleaning in the menu. It will open shutter sans lens and give you a closure warning also

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1