Voigtlander 35mm 1.4 Nokton Classic v2 - “less modern” rendering?

Jon Warwick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Multicoated said:

I actually wanted a Summicron v4,...

Great post. Can very well relate to everything you say. Only I'm a 35mm guy. 

Since then I’ve grown to get over the “Leica” thing. And I’ve also learned I’m a 50mm shooter and I prefer “character” over sharpness and perfection. 

This.

There’s a used cron ASPH v1 for a nice price, but looking at the results of the Nokton I’ll get exactly what I want with a brand new Nokton at $550 bucks. 

I sometimes need a 35mm lens with excellent corner-to-corner sharpness for those landscape shots at infinity that happen occasionally, which the Nokton V2 SC does much better on film than I initially anticipated. The other remarkable virtue of the 35mm Summicron ASPH is how flatteringly it renders faces. This is a Leica thing. The 50mm V4/5 show the same treat. But as it happens the Nokton renders faces similarly favourably, less egg-shaped than its little Color Skopar sibling. 

2 hours ago, MadsP said:

I sold mine due to this as well as too clinical sharp look on digital M sensors.

I hear this often and can see that. From my experience, much of a clinical look comes from texture-free digital images that were shot at low ISO. Add to that a high perceived sharpness you will get what you don't want. A lens with soul and character helps that, but I find that not fearing texture, aka noise, helps even more. But this is a discussion for another thread.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Multicoated said:

...I only drew the line at the light lens lab lenses because of the giant red CHINA in the front. Im still a bit of a snob...

The "giant red CHINA in the front"...

Really?

Here's mine;

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

But Hey; whatever floats your boat. No skin off my nose either way, Hope you are happy!

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t use lens hoods unfortunately  😢 

Aahhhh; that's rather interesting!

It would appear that LLL re-engineered the formula of the paint used for the V6 batch as opposed for that used on the V2 release!

:lol:

Oddly enough 'red paint-colour' is something which Ken Rockwell mentions in his review of the 2008-on Voigtlander 28mm f2 Ultron review;

"...The red numbers are almost invisible. I shoot my product shots with boosted saturation that makes these red numbers more easy to read here than they actually are; this is how the red numbers and mounting dot really look under most light..."

Philip.

25 minutes ago, Multicoated said:

I see they’ve been through a lot with that CHINA on their lens.

I like that—kind of a revitalised made in Germany approach. Marking German products with that badge was imposed on Germany by the Allies after the war to deter potential buyers. That backfired. Although heavily discussed as a likely/real bad actor or bad-mouthed for making cheap products, there are great artisan shops in China that produce gems. Why not help then your country's reputation by displaying China upfront?

1 hour ago, Multicoated said:

I was interested in this one. But it’s selling for $2,000!!! No way… it’s v1 on the outside but b2 optically. Brass and silver. Looks just like the steel rim but without the QC issues.. i think initially it sold for like $950… the shop has had it up for sale for months. No takers at that price. I thought he would budge but no… he confirmed $2,000  

I paid for my two copies around 1200 usd each, around 2021. I don’t regret it as I think it’s one of the best 35 s money can buy. Are you sure about it being a V2 optically, though ? I always thought it was a V1 formula, and one of my two copies has a noticeable focus shift. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just now, Multicoated said:

When I was looking for info the reviewer said v2 optics. But I’m not 100% sure if that. I will never find out tough because the price is crazy. 😀

I really want to believe you about the optics, but I highly doubt it. Would be too good to be true and I prefer the image output of my black V2 over the silver V1

The silver-on-brass one is the "25th Anniversary" Map Camera edition limited to 250 copies and issued in Aug 2019. It is indeed optically a v1 - although I remember reading unsubstantiated claims that it was "improved". Seems like it's only available used these days, hence the collector's prices...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someone is selling this locally. This is not the MAP edition because it’s the v2.. does the v2 even come in silver??

Edited by 69xchange

8 hours ago, Ecar said:

The silver-on-brass one is the "25th Anniversary" Map Camera edition limited to 250 copies and issued in Aug 2019. It is indeed optically a v1 - although I remember reading unsubstantiated claims that it was "improved". Seems like it's only available used these days, hence the collector's prices...

I do find it better than the black V1 and completely usable. Maybe he heavy metal construction improves the tolerance. I noticed the same wit the silver copy of the 35 pre fle on which I couldn’t find any focus shift. 

33 minutes ago, Multicoated said:

I wouldn’t. I would just get the black. Brand new is $550. Used I’ve seen them for about $330 or so. 

I’m picking mine up tomorrow from the AD. I’m going for the SC 

One thing you can’t under estimate is how much better the silver MAP edition feels. The build quality is better than a leica lens. It feels so well built, the aperture ring is amazing. The black version im comparaison feels like a cheap piece of plastic. I’m really amazed by the quality of the silver one. 

• Like 1

Pity the Map Edition was only MC...

Although TBH there's little difference between SC and MC - at least on the v1. I have no experience with the v2, other than returning an MC copy because I preferred the v1's rendering in B&W, which is what I'd mostly use these CV lenses for. Perhaps I should have tried a v2 SC...

Edited by Ecar
  • Like 3

On 8/10/2023 at 2:57 AM, shirubadanieru said:

Given my disappointment with the SR remake and still wanting a small f1.4 lens, I bought the Nokton VII MC and took it with me to Hong Kong. I was really impressed with its rendering!! reading the reviews online you'd think this lens is super soft, but not at all. Actually, it's much sharper than the Lux pre-asph, without being too sharp / clinical like some modern lenses. Loving the lens so far, heptics wise is very similar to the lux pre asph, and price wise makes it a great lens to carry anywhere without any worries. Should have bought this lens earlier. Some pics below shot between f1.4〜f2.8 on cinestill.

Darn, loving these shots, @shirubadanieru. Hong Kong is such a photogenic city! Miss the place!

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2023 at 6:59 AM, Multicoated said:

Okay. I’m at the official Voigtlander dealer. Saying goodbye to the 28 and hello to the 35

I didn’t bring the camera so I’m on my way home now. But I didn’t realize how small the 35f1.4 really is. Very nice. I’ll post more later. 

1) With my 28 (2 years old now out of warranty) for trade

2) B+W filter (I don’t use them but I’ll need them on my beach trips)

3) Hood included LH-6

4) 35f1.4 Nokton II SC

Total cost = $260 bucks brand new. 

edit:

home now. Yea. This thing is tiny!

I see the focus throw is longer than my 50 Cron so I have to get used to it. Also I need to use it a bit to get the grease going so it smooths out a bit more. But right out of the box it feels tight as a drum and you can be very accurate with the focus. 

You’ll love it!

On 8/13/2023 at 9:36 PM, Multicoated said:

As far as I can see, and the reason I’m choosing the sc version, is the photos have more of a yellow hue to them. Sort of like the glass......but......correct me if I’m wrong.

OK; you are wrong.

The 'yellow coating' will, in fact, filter out some yellow; not give your photographs a yellow hue. Whilst filters transmit their colour wavelengths; coatings reflect them.

But don't despair! The amount of this reflected 'colour-loss' is only in the region of 4% (*) so absolutely no reason not to allow Aesthetics to win-out anyhow.

:)

Congrats on your choice of lens, though, as it is absolutely superb.

Philip.

* Variable...

Edited by pippy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not sure what you mean by yellow hue. Yellow cast? I don't think my pics suffer from that. Yellows are well rendered though. M11 + Nokton 35/1.4 SC v2@ f/1.4.

• Like 2

Had the Nokton 35/1.4 S.C II (see pics, the sample is wide open), it was not the droid I was looking for. Nor was my clean, late batch 35 pre-asph lux. I am super happy with the 35 steel rim re-edition though, just the right amount of smearing wide open and by far the most gorgeous looks of them all (as if that shows on the final photograph lol). Does everything wide open that my FLE does not do - or vice versa.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

35mm is my favorite focal length and I already own several versions of the Summicron but I'd never owned a 35mm Summilux because I'm put off by their larger form factor.  Leica lenses to me should be small and nimble.

Soon after I received my copy of the 35mm APO-Summicron-M late in 2022, I quickly understood why others had sold their copies, often citing that they preferred lenses with more character.  I've always preferred modern renderings but I must be maturing in my Leica user experience, as I now find that I like both the modern and the vintage/classic renderings.

Enter the steel rim reissue.  When my dealer finally emailed to let me know my copy had arrived in June, a few months ago, I'd actually forgotten that I had put myself on the wait list for that lens.  The lens hood fiasco had *just* resolved a week or two prior (when Leica relaunched a re-designed lens hood that no longer vignettes when used with a filter) and I started furiously researching whether I really wanted to buy the steel rim reissue.

After a week of soul searching, I decided that the 1.0 meter minimum focus distance was a deal breaker.  I knew it was too limiting.  I sadly told the dealer I was going to pass on the steel rim reissue and quietly gave up on the idea of owning a classic rendering 35mm lens.

Until I read this thread.  When I learned about the Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 Map Camera edition, I knew I had to try one because I really wanted a silver/brass version of this lens for both my Safari M10-P and my black paint MP - digital and film use.  I began learning about the V1 vs V2, SC vs MC options and tried to read everything I could find about the pros and cons of the various versions.  Meanwhile, I went into deep-dive+search mode for a copy of the Map Camera edition to buy.

Recently, I took delivery of a Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm f1.4 MC Map Camera lens from none other than Map Camera in Japan itself.  This one appeared to have had limited, and possibly, no use.  It came with the original packaging and lens hood - all in absolutely pristine condition with zero blemishes on the barrel or glass or lens hood.  It truly looked like no one had touched it since its launch four years ago.

Like esteemed member, @Steven, has reported, the ergonomics/haptics of this lens are incredible.  It has a pleasing heft to it and feels very solid, and it handles as well as any of my genuine Leica lenses and feels well made.  Optically, I tested it with a tape measure to check for focus shifting and my copy seems to not exhibit any noticeable front or back focus issues between f2.8 and f5.6 within about 20 feet, unlike what's been widely reported with the black V1's of this lens.  I'm a firm believer that there's a lot of sample variation with this model of Voigtlander lens and I think I may have genuinely lucked out.  Others have suggested the tighter tolerances of the brass version may contribute to better optical performance.  Whatever the reason, I'm thrilled with my first and possibly only Voigtlander lens.  (As an aside, there's definitely more barrel distortion with this lens than my 35mm APO but that's an acceptable trade off for a lens that renders very much like the steel rim reissue, and even looks like it, at less than half the cost of the steel rim reissue - with a 0.7 meter minimum focus distance.)

I'm so glad I didn't listen to all the online bashing that all the V1's are crap because they focus shift and have terrible barrel distortion and I'm thrilled that I have a 0.7 meter focussing, classic rendering antithesis to my 35mm APO.

To others in search of this amazing lens, good luck and post when you're part of the club of 250!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kreeshp said:

Optically, I tested it with a tape measure to check for focus shifting and my copy seems to not exhibit any noticeable front or back focus issues between f2.8 and f5.6 within about 20 feet, unlike what's been widely reported with the black V1's of this lens.  I'm a firm believer that there's a lot of sample variation with this model of Voigtlander lens and I think I may have genuinely lucked out.  Others have suggested the tighter tolerances of the brass version may contribute to better optical performance. 

I own two copies. One is perfect, the other exhibits a very slight focus shift that's noticeable on digital, less on film. 

A tip for you: buy a silver vintage leica filter from the Summilux 50 v1 or V2 (E43). It will not only protect your lens, but they are very slim and they make the lens looks so much better than without a filter. It finishes the design of it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1