Leica E49 UV/IR Filter 13412 transmittance wavelength spectrum

gi0rgi0ba

43 minutes ago, lct said:

Leica UV/IR filters are made to be used exclusively with M8 and M8.2 cameras.

They work great on the M9 too. Colors look more natural to me with the filter. The difference is not as evident as with the M8. The M8 is about 30x more sensitive to IR compared to the M9. But the M9 can still be used for IR photography without modification.

Edited by dpitt

2 hours ago, lct said:

I was quoting Leica's instructions in the box of UV/IR filters. See below:

LeicaM_filter_uv-ir_inst_roc.pdf 126.33 kB · 4 downloads

i agree with not using it for film. Film was designed with IR sensitivity calculated in the process.

But at the time when Leica wrote this, the M9 was not out yet. The IR filter on the M9 is a bit thicker than that of the M8 but still not enough to block all IR from reaching the sensor. I am not sure about the M240 and higher models. I suppose IR blocking effectiveness increases with each M generation, but Leica still tries to keep the filter as thin as possible to increase sharpness and for other reasons. I would not be surprised if even the M10 or M11 would benefit somewhat from using it.

• Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb lct:

I was quoting Leica's instructions in the box of UV/IR filters. See below:

LeicaM_filter_uv-ir_inst_roc.pdf 126.33 kB · 7 downloads

Well this note seems to come from a time when there was only the M8 and M-Models for film. UV/IR-Cut filters have been produced before the M8 came and are still produced by e.g. B+W or Heliopan, even though they won’t live of ancient M8-users alone. They are often in use for - expensive - video cameras which also have no IR-filters in front of their sensors and you still can see some TV productions where everybody wears clothes with a nice magenta touch. 

I have tried to use them with the M9 and I did not see any increase of cyan, though I did not keep them on the lenses regularly since they are much more prone to reflections than normal UV-filters. With the M10 or M11 my advice would be to test them in different situations before using them regularly. 

Leica-branded IR/UV filters are/were virtually identical to (and interchangeable with) B+W 486-type IR cut filters (as were Hoya's (who made the "Leica" filters to spec), and Heliopan's.)

A graph (lowest on page) from Kolari Vision shows the spectral response of the 486-type filters (heavy black line) - strong IR cutoff starting at 700nm and reaching 95% IR blocking at 725nm, finally reaching virtually 100% at 770nm.

The UV cutoff starts at 400nm and. is complete by around 368nm

https://kolarivision.com/product/kolari-vision-uv-ir-cut-hot-mirror-pro-2/

Main reason not to use them on the M9 and later M-digital cameras is that the firmware no longer supported correcting for the green-cyan corners the 486 filter will produce with wide-angle lenses that look through the filter slantwise - that was a feature unique to the M8 firmware only. The later "full-frame" cameras had other color problems to deal with ("Italian Flag syndrome", etc.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lct said:

Leica UV/IR filters made for the M8 look too strong on the M11. They reduce magenta and increase cyan, giving images a colder rendition.

^ This ^

...and what adan said in post #13.

Philip.

Edited by pippy

6 hours ago, adan said:

Main reason not to use them on the M9 and later M-digital cameras is that the firmware no longer supported correcting for the green-cyan corners the 486 filter will produce with wide-angle lenses that look through the filter slantwise -

I've heard this from other sources also.  My testing resulted in normal color with wides (M10-P and M10-R), it was not an exhaustive test but if there was any cast I could not detect it with my eyeballs.  Theoretically, it makes sense but my M's aren't good with theory.  🙂

All Leica M digital cameras leak IR, easily tested with an IR filter.   The SL does not leak IR and the same IR filter will result in black images with no light hitting the sensor.  

21 hours ago, Studienkamera said:

I would try Leica: 

info @ leica-camera.com

no data sheet available 😮 said Leica:

<<

Dear Giorgio,

many thanks for your request.

The UV/IR filter you mentioned was made available specifically for the M8 because of the missing UV/IR filter on the Leica M8, there is no data sheet for this filter, I'm sorry.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / kind regards
Peter Brieger
Leica Camera AG
Customer Care                                                  

Produkt Support
Am Leitz-Park 5 / D-35578 Wetzlar

www.leica-camera.com / *****@*****.tld

Telephone 06441-2080111

>>

• Like 1

vor 12 Stunden schrieb gi0rgi0ba:

there is no data sheet for this filter, I'm sorry.

as adan said, they probably came from B+W, and they have a data-sheet:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

23 hours ago, adan said:

Leica-branded IR/UV filters are/were virtually identical to (and interchangeable with) B+W 486-type IR cut filters (as were Hoya's (who made the "Leica" filters to spec), and Heliopan's.)

A graph (lowest on page) from Kolari Vision shows the spectral response of the 486-type filters (heavy black line) - strong IR cutoff starting at 700nm and reaching 95% IR blocking at 725nm, finally reaching virtually 100% at 770nm.

The UV cutoff starts at 400nm and. is complete by around 368nm

https://kolarivision.com/product/kolari-vision-uv-ir-cut-hot-mirror-pro-2/

Main reason not to use them on the M9 and later M-digital cameras is that the firmware no longer supported correcting for the green-cyan corners the 486 filter will produce with wide-angle lenses that look through the filter slantwise - that was a feature unique to the M8 firmware only. The later "full-frame" cameras had other color problems to deal with ("Italian Flag syndrome", etc.)

Sorry Adan, in certain conditions they are indispensable on the M9 and even more so on the M240. The cyan corners minimal to nil on most lenses and Italian Flag are a one-click flat field correction in C1, LR and PS. 

6 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Sorry Adan, in certain conditions they are indispensable on the M9 and even more so on the M240

Well, I've been using, and still use, M9s since they came out and I can't say that I've ever encountered such conditions, many tens of thousands of exposures later.