There are 4 current 28mm options. Which one do you recommend and why?

Kiwimac

1 hour ago, jqian6 said:

buy a Q2, it's cheaper than buying the 28 lux lens, and you don't have to swap the lenses.

The thought had occurred to me. Mind you, will the Q2 still be serviceable and functioning in 25 years? (Equally, will I? But I suppose that’s a whole different question!)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

28 Summicron. IMO there's little to no need anymore for the expense and bulk of the 28 Summilux what with clean high iso digital cameras. Might be different if you are shooting film. 

Is there much difference in subject isolation etc?

That’s the only reason these days to buy f1.4 over f2 really - the way it looks, rather than for the light gathering which as you say is a film era relic. 

I use the Elmarit and think it's a great lens, but I have no experience with other Leica 28s so can't compare.  

@Huss has used the Elmarit and the Summicron and should be able to provide some insight on their pros and cons. 

Edited by logan2z

hi all,

Depends on budget and preferred size/ergonomics and what it will be used for mainly too, i think. Comparing the 3 current versions under f5.6, there is a huge difference. Elmarit + M10 is unbeatable small, fits into a - say Barbour (?) jacket pocket without lens hood attached (depends on jacket) 2.8 may be enough for 96% of occasions while roughly 2.000€/$ cheaper than summicron. If there's a 35 lux on your shelf - no need for a 28 lux imo. By the way: Sold my 28mm Q2 as an option today!

Edited by wellknown
mistakes...
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, wellknown said:

hi all,

Depends on budget and preferred size/ergonomics and what it will be used for mainly too, i think. Comparing the 3 current versions under f5.6, there is a huge difference. Elmarit + M10 is unbeatable small, fits into a - say Barbour (?) jacket pocket without lens hood attached (depends on jacket) 2.8 may be enough for 96% of occasions while roughly 2.000€/$ cheaper than summicron. If there's a 35 lux on your shelf - no need for a 28 lux imo. By the way: Sold my 28mm Q2 as an option today!

Theoretically I could buy any one of them, so budget not specifically an issue (although I would need a convincing set of reasons to spend NZ$11,500 on a Lux over NZ$7,500 on the Summicron, for example, but I would if I was convinced enough!).

Use would be travel and general documentary work, some landscape work.

The companion is not a 35 though, it is a 50 Lux both to be shot on the M10-R.

vor 14 Minuten schrieb Kiwimac:

Theoretically I could buy any one of them, so budget not specifically an issue (although I would need a convincing set of reasons to spend NZ$11,500 on a Lux over NZ$7,500 on the Summicron, for example, but I would if I was convinced enough!).

Use would be travel and general documentary work, some landscape work.

The companion is not a 35 though, it is a 50 Lux both to be shot on the M10-R.

If size and price is no matter - then lux, because it offers the best and most recognizable IQ. You probably know this one: https://www.streetsilhouettes.com/home/2017/3/12/quick-comparison-two-generations-of-leica-28mm-lenses?rq=28mm

Although I never tried it, I think the cron V2 sits comfortably in the middle. To me size and weight is always very important. The lighter and smaller it gets (Elmarit being nearly too small, Esp. when attaching it to camera body), the more often it gets used.

Having the 50 lux is enough potential (really) separating subjects imo. That is what I use, 28 Elmarit and 50 lux or cron, mounted on an M11/M10-R/ or MP. 

Edited by wellknown

1 hour ago, Kiwimac said:

Is there much difference in subject isolation etc?

That’s the only reason these days to buy f1.4 over f2 really - the way it looks, rather than for the light gathering which as you say is a film era relic. 

Not having used the Lux (only handled it - it's big compared to the 'cron) I can't actually say, but keep in mid with a 28 one doesn't get as much subject isolations it is compared to a 35, 50 or 75. I've had the first version 28 for a couple of decades now and its been a constant companion all that time (except when I dropped it once and it went back to the mothership for four months). 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stephan54 said:

I use a Summicron v2 together with my Summilux 50asph. The 28 is a pretty small lens and colourwise fits the Lux. Had the Elmatrit 28asph, but found that very contrasty.

I agree. The 28 Elmarit ASPH V2 is quite contrasty. But I find it matches the 50 Summicron V5 nicely. I had the 28 Summicron a few years ago (M8 days) and it has a lovely rendition.

I’m using the Elmarit now because it is small and light. But I mostly use the new 35 Summicron. I just feel a 35 is a better focal length for a M camera… which is why I sold the 28 Summicron. It was a crime to have such a wonderful lens sit in my bag unused. It became a 75 Summicron which is an equally lovely lens.

I never tried the 28 Lux. It is reputed to be a stunning lens. Expensive and big though.

Just my experience in the 28 mm Leica world…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiwimac said:

The thought had occurred to me. Mind you, will the Q2 still be serviceable and functioning in 25 years? (Equally, will I? But I suppose that’s a whole different question!)

I had the 28 Elmarit ASPH. It was great but I like the vintage look more, maybe the Summicron 28 would suit me better.
Now about servicing the Q2 ... Leica sort of committed to service the M digital camera's  for 10 years but even that is not always possible, e.g. M8 coffee stain issue. So electronically, even today's digital M's will be not serviceable in 10 years. Maybe the Q2 will be cut off earlier. 25 years serviceability is impossible in today's fast changing world of electronics.

1 hour ago, logan2z said:

I use the Elmarit and think it's a great lens, but I have no experience with other Leica 28s so can't compare.  

@Huss has used the Elmarit and the Summicron and should be able to provide some insight on their pros and cons. 

Yah, I had the Elmarit, replaced it with the Summicron v2.  The Elmarit was great and I often regret I sold it! I also had the 7A 28 1.4 in case I needed the 1.4 because I am predominantly a film shooter.  But I got rid of it because I hated the size and the way it blocks so much of the VF on an M.  The Summilux 28 would be the same - huge and blocks the VF.

For me part of the joy of using an M is the form factor - nice compact lenses on a nice compact camera.  I also use the CV 28 3.5, TTA 28 5.6 and CV 28 f2 v2.  As well as the Summicron v2.  All are really nice compact lenses.  But if you have to stick to Leica, think hard about what you really want.  A digital Leica does not need a fast lens as they are now so flexible with ISOs.  And one really does not pick a 28mm lens for subject isolation - there are way better lenses for that!

Think about what lens will make you want to pick up and actually go use your camera, not just look at it in your office and think that lens looks impressive.

• Like 3