There are 4 current 28mm options. Which one do you recommend and why?

Kiwimac

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Of the current four, I have a summicron safari edition (which ousted  my previous v1 summicron) and a summaron-m. 

The great thing with Leica 28mm's is the broadly different rendering between them all, which makes having more than one 28mm justifiable with any combination.

• Thanks 1

Jimmy Cheng did a video on these four lenses, which I found interesting in terms of giving people an idea of the nature of each lens:

I will say that it’s probably the most comprehensive side by side of at least the modern 3 lenses Leica offers in 28. Something to call out is they basically all are sharp corner to corner at almost any aperture, so they perform very closely to one another in that sense. I think the Summilux gives the nicest rendering, the Summicron has a beautiful subtlety to it, the Elmarit is the best (because it’s the one I have 😛), and the Summaron is the lens that I’m telling my brain I don’t need/want. Really though, it’s clear to see why they are all in the line up.

That being said, I know people have argued against it before, but I think if Voigtlander released a 28mm Nokton, based solely on the success and popularity of the Ultron II, would probably be a knock out success, as from what I’ve seen of the TTArtisan, it doesn’t really perform well at the aperture you’d actually buy it for: f1.4.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The 28 lux is definitely worth considering. Here are my caveats though,

1. view finder blockage, my sense is you are losing a good 25% of the frame when shot without an accessory finder. shooting without the hood will help some but there is no protective ring provided so the threads are exposed and looks kind of unfinished for a premium product.
  2. Chromatic aberration when shot wide open in broad daylight can be areal dealbreaker. for now you have an  M10-R so you may be fine. The M11 and future M's will let you shoot wide open in broad contrasty daylight and what I've seen so far from the lux is not pretty when it comes to tree branches and such. Just a thought and I hope Leica is working on this both from firmware and future 28 lux offerings.

I have an M11 with  a 28 v2, 35 FLE and 50/ 1.4 ASPH BC. I would love all three lenses to be 1.4 for consistency but the above issues are what holds me back.

I absolutely love the 28/2 v2, having used it on the 240's, the M10-P and now the M11,  but I've nothing to compare it to.

Mykonos, 28/2 v2 @ f5.6 M11

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

I have no experience with the Summilux 28/1.4 that is just too bulky for my taste. 
As far as my lenses are concerned:
• Summicron 28/2 v2. My favorite 28 ever. Medium size. Modern rendition but a bit gentler than Elmarit and more so compared to the Ultron. No significant flaw.
• Elmarit 28/2.8 asph v1. My favorite modern 28/2.8. Small size. Similar rendition as Summicron with a bit more contrast and CA. No significant flaw but beware if the lens has been grabbed by the hood since its optical cell can somewhat wobble because of that.  
Ultron 28/2 asph. My favorite 28 on digital CL. Small size. Modern rendition with more contrast than lenses above. No significant flaw besides a bit of vignetting and CA at full aperture. 
• Rokkor 28/2.8. My favorite classic 28/2.8. Small size. Similar rendition as Leica lenses from the same period (Mandler). No significant flaw but the lens can develop some schneideritis (white spots on interior black paint) and its flange must be modified to bring up 28mm framelines on Leica M cameras.
FWIW

I solved the choice between the 28mm by buying the summilux first and then the summaron. the summilux is a do-everything lens with and has the unique ability to create a separation of planes with blur that the other 28 don't have. The summaron looks like a toy but is invaluable for traveling light and creates images with a remarkable intensity. You can understand from my choices that I don't like the middle ground but the extremes. Now using them with M10R BP. 

• Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, 28framelines said:

..from what I’ve seen of the TTArtisan, it doesn’t really perform well at the aperture you’d actually buy it for: f1.4.

If you mean the 7Artisans 28 1.4, at 1.4 it actually performs shockingly well.  My copy was sharp and completely useable.  But I didn't like the physical feel and bulk of the lens, and how it blocked so much of the VF.  The Summilux would be the same, unless you don't mind 1/3 of your VF being blocked.

• Like 1

I have a 50 lux and recently picked up a 28.  I shoot film and digital.  Ultimately, I decided on the Elmarit, but they’re all great lenses.  Does size matter to you?  Do you often shoot low iso with fading light?  Everyone solves the weight/price/usage formula differently.  I wanted something ultra compact and I already have some great low-light performers.  Honestly, you can’t go wrong.  28 is a great focal length, especially when paired with a 50.  Have fun!

3 hours ago, anonymous said:

I have a 50 lux and recently picked up a 28.  I shoot film and digital.  Ultimately, I decided on the Elmarit, but they’re all great lenses.  Does size matter to you?  Do you often shoot low iso with fading light?  Everyone solves the weight/price/usage formula differently.  I wanted something ultra compact and I already have some great low-light performers.  Honestly, you can’t go wrong.  28 is a great focal length, especially when paired with a 50.  Have fun!

I solved the low light issue with my Elmarit by buying a flash. Much cheaper than upgrading to the Summicron, though it WOULD be nice to have haha

Used to Summilux 3D look and shallow depth of field, you may not be satisfied with anything but summilux 28. I had Elmarit 28 (loved it, it's sharp, small, do not obstruct viewfinder), I had Q2 (loved it, it's sharp, has macro option, but on the other hand has strange in camera optical correction and different rendering of picture) and none can compare with the beauty of summilux rendering. If you are looking for something to complete your Summilux 50, than consider Summilux 28.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use the Summaron-M, which I sold, regretted and bought again.  I also have the TTartisan 28mm f5.6, just because I wanted to try it and it's black paint over brass (and it makes nice images too which is a bonus). 

For when I want faster, like with the UK weather at the moment, I use a ZM 28mm Biogon.  Which I really like.  It's not quite as good as the Contax G version that was (which is like WOW), but really good.  My copy is mechanically sound.

I have owned the Elmarit ASPH v2, which is pretty competant but didn't wow me (I like the ZM better).  I had both versions of the Summicron.  I think I preferred the v1, not sure why.  The second one was the Matt Black limited version, which was nice, but I ended up not wanting to carry 4K worth of lens everywhere, so sold it at a modest profit.

One of the things I disliked about the Summicron was the size/weight over the smaller lenses, so the 'lux wouldn't be on my list.

• Like 1

I'm researching the same focal length to replace my Minolta 28mm f2.8.

The 28mm Voigtlander Ultron version 2 seems like it's the best bang for the buck. The only 'negative' is the vignette wide open (some may see this as a positive). It seems to outperform the Summicron in 'brick wall' tests across the board if that is important to you, whether it's character is to your liking is a personal thing of course. I'm looking at images on Flickr and they are very crisp.

As an everyday walkaround lens the lux is too large, covering too much of the VF for my liking. I've seen some lovely images with it though and the f1.4 on a wide angle is to me, aesthetically very pleasing when shooting fairly close to your subject. 7Artisans do a well regarded 'copy' that could be interesting.

1 hour ago, costa43 said:

I'm researching the same focal length to replace my Minolta 28mm f2.8.

The 28mm Voigtlander Ultron version 2 seems like it's the best bang for the buck. The only 'negative' is the vignette wide open (some may see this as a positive)

The Rokkor 28/2.8 is a lens from the eighties with a similar IQ as Leica lenses from the same period (Mandler). I have kept mine for this reason but its flange has been modified for 6-bit coding and to bring up 28mm framelines. The Ultron 28/2 asph has a more modern IQ with significantly more contrast. Can be a positive or a negative depending on tastes and skills in PP. Vignette is easy to adjust in PP.

Rokkor 28/2.8 on M11:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Ultron 28/2 asph on M11 sans vignette correction:

Ultron 28/2 asph on M11 with vignette correction:

Edited by lct
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, lct said:

The Rokkor 28/2.8 is a lens from the eighties with a similar IQ as Leica lenses from the same period (Mandler). I have kept mine for this reason but its flange has been modified for 6-bit coding and to bring up 28mm framelines. The Ultron 28/2 asph has a more modern IQ with significantly more contrast. Can be a positive or a negative depending on tastes and skills in PP. Vignette is easy to adjust in PP.

Rokkor 28/2.8 on M11:

Ultron 28/2 asph on M11 sans vignette correction:

Ultron 28/2 asph on M11 with vignette correction:

Thank you for the comparison and nice rendering on the m11 with the Minolta especially. I do love my Minolta but it’s taken a beating and is now decentered. I’m also keen for the extra stop of light as I’m still using the CCD M bodies. Veering towards the ultron, primarily for my M mono. 

Edited by costa43

I have had them all the Summilux, Summicron V2 , the Elmirit V1 and V2.  All are fantastic  however my favourite is the Current Summicron V2  for size and image quality it is the best in my opinion.  The Summilux is a fantastic lens but it is a hefty bulky lens( for an M lens).  If 28mm is your absolute favourite FL then go for the Summilux, if not then the Summicron is just a perfect balance 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Harout62 said:

I have had them all the Summilux, Summicron V2 , the Elmirit V1 and V2.  All are fantastic  however my favourite is the Current Summicron V2  for size and image quality it is the best in my opinion.  The Summilux is a fantastic lens but it is a hefty bulky lens( for an M lens).  If 28mm is your absolute favourite FL then go for the Summilux, if not then the Summicron is just a perfect balance 

That’s sensible. It’s not my favourite (as far as I’m aware!) and the Summicron is a whole lot of saving. 

OOI, can anyone actually see both left and right 28mm frame lines at the same time in an M10?

I can see one or the other but not both. I think I would end up having to guess my composition unless I had an EVF mounted. 35 is comfortable but 28 not so much.

It almost makes me wonder if getting a Q2 instead might be a more user friendly solution.

24 minutes ago, Kiwimac said:

OOI, can anyone actually see both left and right 28mm frame lines at the same time in an M10?

I can see one or the other but not both. I think I would end up having to guess my composition unless I had an EVF mounted. 35 is comfortable but 28 not so much.

It almost makes me wonder if getting a Q2 instead might be a more user friendly solution.

Depends on, whether you like shooting with the Q or prefer M shooting?

I have been shooting both M and Q and had a period shooting Q (and afterwards Q2Mono) exclusively for close to 2 years. Then I went back to M (now M10R BP and M10Mono), and it’s the best decision - for me - ever. Now, I would never go back ro a mirrorless EVF camera as long as digital Ms exist.

I just love shooting M and feel more in control with both manual focus and setting exposure manually.