Which 180mm to buy?

mmx_2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Um, how about the 180/2.3 Angineux with an R mount? It has a floating rear element and excellent quality at near focus distances. It might take a year to find one, though.

The Angeniuex has a huge front element, check out MTF data at photodo.com not even close to the Apo-Telyt and not better than the Elmarit (II).

Rick - now this is how a lens review should read!!!

haha! Thanks Chili. It was fun to write. And I really did react like that when I spent the second night looking over my test shots from that 180/2 Summicron. Great, great lens.

Folks, if you haven't used your fast 50 or 35 as a loupe, give it a go. A nocti makes a great loupe too. For some time I've been wanting to make a transparent ring thing to support these lenses while looking at trannies.

[quote

Folks, if you haven't used your fast 50 or 35 as a loupe, give it a go. A nocti makes a great loupe too. For some time I've been wanting to make a transparent ring thing to support these lenses while looking at trannies.

hmmmm... must get an M Apo Summilux 50/1.4 to use as a loop. BTW would stopping down one or two stops further improve the viewing pleasure?

hmmmm... must get an M Apo Summilux 50/1.4 to use as a loop. BTW would stopping down one or two stops further improve the viewing pleasure?

If that's the excuse you need to get that very desirable lens, go for it. :-)

It was Mark Rabiner on the LUG who mentioned this trick and he suggested buying a well worn Nikon 50/1.4 for a loupe. A 35/1.4 provides much higher magnification. If some detail or another needs to be seen super magnified, a 21/2.8 works a treat, though the field of view is 'orrible. The Noctilux provides a 'full screen' view. Beautiful!

I used my 50 R Summicron as a loupe for a long time, a bit hard on the arm after an hour or two, tho' :)

I mostly use one of those fancy, schmancy Leica loupes with adjustable eyepiece now, but I don't think it's as good as using the 50.