Leica - Is it really a 24mm lens ! And that look !

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, Chris W said:

I've always tried to crop with my feet. Not being superior about it, it's just what I prefer to do. Which is why I haven't been enthralled with the shoot 28mm but crop for 35 or 50mm concept.

I have to admit that for a moment there I had a vision of someone cropping with their feet instead of their hands and thought: 'that would take a lot of dexterity!'  🤣

• Haha 1

On 1/8/2024 at 11:50 AM, Chris W said:

I've always tried to crop with my feet. Not being superior about it, it's just what I prefer to do. Which is why I haven't been enthralled with the shoot 28mm but crop for 35 or 50mm concept.

As much as I hate to start this discussion… when you use the center part of the Q’s lens to crop to 50mm vs filling the frame at 28mm to get the same composition, doesn’t perspective distortion change?  

6 hours ago, Dr. G said:

As much as I hate to start this discussion… when you use the center part of the Q’s lens to crop to 50mm vs filling the frame at 28mm to get the same composition, doesn’t perspective distortion change?  

Perspective “distortion “. is created by distance, not by focal length  

• Thanks 1

In fact, "wideangle distortion" does not exist.
It is very easy to prove this to yourself, from your living room sofa:
Fix your eyes straight ahead and keep them there. Now concentrate on your peripheral vision; keep them fixed ahead whilst you do so. What do you see towards the outer limits of your vision -the quality will deteriorate, obviously-*? Exactly the same perspective that your wideangle lens shows towards the edges: exaggerated angles, trapezium-shaped cupboards, you name it. The lens records precisely what it sees without distorting.  If you are adept at drawing geometrical diagrams, you can work it out for yourself. 

It is all because the objects that you photograph are three-dimensional. 

* The actual angle of view that you can see with a fixed eye (no vernier vision) varies per person. Don't use spectacles.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2024 at 4:22 PM, jaapv said:

Perspective “distortion “. is created by distance, not by focal length  

Correct, that’s what I was saying.  The idea of zooming with your feet using a 28mm lens vs using one of the crop modes using a 28mm should yield different results.

In order to get the same composition using the entire 28mm field of view you would need to be closer than if you were composing the scene in the 50mm frame of view using the 28mm lens.  So because it is a three dimensional object, the further you get away to fill the 50mm crop, the less divergence you would have in your field and what you see would change.  If I stand extremely close and take a portrait at 28mm and do the same further back and fill the frame using the 50mm crop lines wouldn’t I see more of the ears and lateral features in the 50mm crop composition?  In the same regard if I had three houses that had their exterior walls parallel to one another and I filled the frame at 28mm, and then moved back and filled the 50mm crop the same way, wouldn’t I see more of the medially facing walls of the houses on either end in the 28mm framing?  I don’t think that’s an optics thing, rather just what happens when you move further and closer to any three dimensional object.  However, using the 50mm center crop of the 28mm lens should be similar in appearance to using a dedicated 50mm lens from the same distance because the should have roughly the same field of view.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Dr. G:

I don’t think that’s an optics thing, rather just what happens when you move further and closer to any three dimensional object.

Yes, exactly. That’s the perspective changing and has nothing to do with the lens. You’re right about the different outcomes of using different perspectives. Since you have a camera just try it out. Often times it’s much easier to comprehend certain concepts by trying them in the field. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Qwertynm said:

Yes, exactly. That’s the perspective changing and has nothing to do with the lens. You’re right about the different outcomes of using different perspectives. Since you have a camera just try it out. Often times it’s much easier to comprehend certain concepts by trying them in the field. 

I did try it this past week.  I had my Q3 in 50mm crop mode for most of what I was doing.  The only time I used my SL2-S with the Summilix SL was when I wanted a far narrower depth of field or was in very low light situations.  But I could probably use the Q3 for 95% of what I shoot when traveling without issue.

I still won't complain if a Q body with a relatively fast 40-50mm lens is released, though - my SL2-S/Summilux combo is a heavy carry.

On 1/19/2024 at 4:17 AM, Dr. G said:

Correct, that’s what I was saying.  The idea of zooming with your feet using a 28mm lens vs using one of the crop modes using a 28mm should yield different results.

In order to get the same composition using the entire 28mm field of view you would need to be closer than if you were composing the scene in the 50mm frame of view using the 28mm lens.  So because it is a three dimensional object, the further you get away to fill the 50mm crop, the less divergence you would have in your field and what you see would change.  If I stand extremely close and take a portrait at 28mm and do the same further back and fill the frame using the 50mm crop lines wouldn’t I see more of the ears and lateral features in the 50mm crop composition?  In the same regard if I had three houses that had their exterior walls parallel to one another and I filled the frame at 28mm, and then moved back and filled the 50mm crop the same way, wouldn’t I see more of the medially facing walls of the houses on either end in the 28mm framing?  I don’t think that’s an optics thing, rather just what happens when you move further and closer to any three dimensional object.  However, using the 50mm center crop of the 28mm lens should be similar in appearance to using a dedicated 50mm lens from the same distance because the should have roughly the same field of view.

Yes correct and an end to the 50 mm look myth. You will be moving regardless whether you are changing lenses or cropping to the framing