Will the M-A ever brass?

kivis

On 11/19/2022 at 4:32 PM, Mute-on said:

Just because there are some people who deliberately enhance the wear on their Leicas in the electronic media saturation of the 21st century doesn’t mean that anyone had any interest in doing that whatsoever in the 1980s.

Spot on....only in today's craze. Of course to be fair...anytime in history had their share of crazes; brass showing or whatever. jim

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this for sale on a uk site and it made me think of this thread. Seems to show more silvering than I’d expect for a relatively new camera (especially on the hot shoe and shutter speed dial). No telling how much it’s been used though.

I think the way the Black Chrome ages is really classy, but I realise I may be in a minority!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, waltron said:

Saw this for sale on a uk site and it made me think of this thread. Seems to show more silvering than I’d expect for a relatively new camera (especially on the hot shoe and shutter speed dial). No telling how much it’s been used though.

I think the way the Black Chrome ages is really classy, but I realise I may be in a minority!

That looks great IMO.   Very industrial 👍 I have a black paint MP but feel it can look a little flashy.  

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, waltron said:

It could have had 8 years of very hard use but it might also have had some fine grit sandpaper applied to it.

Interesting, for any 'ding or scratch' on a camera such as these when you trade them in  takes down the condition they are in, thus not giving you as much on your trade-in $. But here....it sounds like people want brass or silver showing. Of course, camera dealers selling 'used cameras'  don't care as they give you 'bottom dollar on the trade-in' and then turn around and state 'patina' and make more money on their end. Go figure...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wattsy said:

It could have had 8 years of very hard use but it might also have had some fine grit sandpaper applied to it.

The angle of light will always make the edges look brighter.  One of my black chrome M7s is starting to silver on the edges.  It's very slight but noticeable to my much newer black chrome M-A.  I think both look great!

Edited by Huss

On 12/22/2022 at 2:43 AM, waltron said:

I agree. I think black chrome patina looks nicer than brass showing through paint. 

• Like 2