Leica M2 film advance noise - potential causes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Long time viewer of the group. :)

Recently I got a repainted M2 as my birthday gift. The camera works and feels exceptional except one minor 'quirkiness' - the film advance lever 'clicks' at the very start of the movement whenever I changed the shutter speed from 1/500th to 1/250th or 1/125th. And it only makes this noise on the first advance, the following frame will be quiet & smooth unless I redo the whole thing again.

Here is a video demonstrating the issue:

I have used many Ms throughout my life (MP/M4/M6), none of them had similar issues. So my question is should I worry about this and send the camera back to the technician? (the camera is freshly cla'd) And what would be the potential cause of this?

Thanks heaps for all your help!

11 hours ago, BradS said:

That's weird...why not send call the repair tech and ask? Send the video...

Personally, I'd want it fixed not because I'd worry about it but because it is annoying and the Leica is supposed to be quiet.

Thanks Bard, I did send this to the technician who saids it's completely ok, but the camera is already on the way to back to him.

just wondering what mind be the triggering issue here. 

thanks.

1 hour ago, Devcc said:

Thanks Bard, I did send this to the technician who saids it's completely ok, but the camera is already on the way to back to him.

just wondering what mind be the triggering issue here. 

thanks.

I tried on my m2, even if there’s a slight retention after each sequence, you would hardly feel it and didn’t make such noise, hope your M2 would be fine, it is the smoothest of the bunch M analog

• Like 1