Big Firmware Update for Leica SL2 (v.4.0) and SL2-S (v.3.0)

Leon_B.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

43 minutes ago, Malabito said:

Ford made a public statement and its taking corrective and preventive actions, also seems not to be affecting all cars, different to our bug which is a basic user case to test, almost like  delivering firmware and not checking if the camera turns on, looks almost like negligence.

Shutter lag is not a safety issue. I’m sure if your Leica camera was a fire risk, Leica would issue a recall.

6 hours ago, 6bit said:

Bugs certainly happen. I do feel a camera and a car are different levels of complexity. Cars are orders of magnitude more complex.

I'd expect someone to use the camera before, during and after firmware development. I am disappointed that it appears a bug got out that acts up when shooting anything larger than 2.0. On the other hand, maybe the developers are like me and shoot wide open 99% of the time. 🤪 

Here's to a fast turnaround that takes care of our issues. 🥳

*Sarcasm Alert*

Word on the street is that if a Leica employee stops down a Summicron SL lens, Peter Karbe will hunt them down and smack them on their wrist on the first offense and give them a lecture on always shooting wide open. If they do it again, they get zapped by the camera at ever increasing voltages. 

Edited by beewee
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, beewee said:

Shutter lag is not a safety issue. I’m sure if your Leica camera was a fire risk, Leica would issue a recall.

Who is asking for a recall? That's why the Ford comparison is border line silly.

5 minutes ago, beewee said:

*Sarcasm Alert*

Word on the street is that if a Leica employee stops down a Summicron SL lens, Peter Karbe will hunt them down and smack them on their wrist on the first offense and give them a lecture on always shooting wide open. If they do it again, they get zapped by the camera at ever increasing voltages. 

Hahah, I honestly think this might be true :)

Also given how good the lens is wide open, perhaps they thought f4? What's that :)

14 hours ago, John Smith said:

Ford said the recall campaign covers 2021 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SUVs built between late 2020 and early 2021, and it advised owners to park affected models outside and away from structures.

Everyone experiences bugs.

Wow. A fine example of whataboutism.

Is Ford asking for a premium price over its competitors too? Last I checked they are no Ferrari.

Why should I pay extra for a Leica when their software is so shabby that even what should be a basic QA regression test was not performed during the latest firmware update?

Edited by Simone_DF
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2022 at 9:22 PM, beewee said:

I took the SL2-S out for a hike today and I’m relieved to say that, with the Display/AF set to automatically turn off after 30s and the automatic power off set to never, the camera was able to maintain a solid connection with the FOTOS app on my iPhone while I was shooting and every photo had geolocation info so at a minimum, I have this option going forward.

Now, I’m curious to see how reliably the geolocation feature works if I let the camera fall automatically go on standby with the camera needing to re-establish a connection with the phone each time it wakes up.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Looks like I made a mistake of having hope that Leica would make geolocation working properly and behave as what a normal person expects it to do which is, just so I spell it out to anyone from Leica who might be reading this and not realize yet, record the location of an image when it was taken. Is that too much to ask for?

I’ve taken my SL2-S on two outings and both times the geolocation looked like it was working (as indicated by the icons on the camera) but the camera just kept reusing the same initial location. In the first case, I was on a boat and every picture I took was geotagged with the same location, even when I was literally 100km away. What the <fill in the blanks>? Seriously. This is pathetic. I’m at a loss for words as to how poorly this is implemented. Leica should remove this feature from their spec sheet or at least mark the feature as still in beta.

Also, just for the record, I was on the v3.1 SL2-S FW which is the most current version available. Although it should really be identical to v3.0, less the bug fix for APO SL prime laggy aperture FW bug. FOTOs app was version 3.2.1.

Edited by beewee
  • Like 2

On 6/28/2022 at 1:36 AM, beewee said:

Looks like I made a mistake of having hope that Leica would make geolocation working properly and behave as what a normal person expects it to do which is, just so I spell it out to anyone from Leica who might be reading this and not realize yet, record the location of an image when it was taken. Is that too much to ask for?

I’ve taken my SL2-S on two outings and both times the geolocation looked like it was working (as indicated by the icons on the camera) but the camera just kept reusing the same initial location. In the first case, I was on a boat and every picture I took was geotagged with the same location, even when I was literally 100km away. What the <fill in the blanks>? Seriously. This is pathetic. I’m at a loss for words as to how poorly this is implemented. Leica should remove this feature from their spec sheet or at least mark the feature as still in beta.

Also, just for the record, I was on the v3.1 SL2-S FW which is the most current version available. Although it should really be identical to v3.0, less the bug fix for APO SL prime laggy aperture FW bug. FOTOs app was version 3.2.1.

Sorry to hear. I am having opposite experience. So far much improved. Since the last update GPS with my SL2 ver 4.1 and iPhone iOS 15.5 and Fotos v 3.1.2 are working very well together for Geotagging my images. I am experiencing continuous and accurate coverage for about six separate outings to date--all of which are within about 50 miles locally, to include in and out of buildings with no disconnects. But I haven't had a chance to travel with the SL2 yet and test coverage outside of my locality. 

Just curious, do you allow the Fotos app to collect App/Camera usage reports? I wonder if there is something that data that can help tech support track down the issue. 

8 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

Sorry to hear. I am having opposite experience. So far much improved. Since the last update GPS with my SL2 ver 4.1 and iPhone iOS 15.5 and Fotos v 3.1.2 are working very well together for Geotagging my images. I am experiencing continuous and accurate coverage for about six separate outings to date--all of which are within about 50 miles locally, to include in and out of buildings with no disconnects. But I haven't had a chance to travel with the SL2 yet and test coverage outside of my locality. 

Just curious, do you allow the Fotos app to collect App/Camera usage reports? I wonder if there is something that data that can help tech support track down the issue. 

I disable usage reports.

I’m wondering for you, did you ever let the camera go to sleep or turn off the camera between shots? This seems to be the main issue. It was partly mitigated if I disable the timed auto power off. To me, it’s a work around but not really a solution since it’ll still drain the battery.

7 hours ago, beewee said:

I disable usage reports.

I’m wondering for you, did you ever let the camera go to sleep or turn off the camera between shots? This seems to be the main issue. It was partly mitigated if I disable the timed auto power off. To me, it’s a work around but not really a solution since it’ll still drain the battery.

No. I didn't turn off the camera during these outings. I don't usually turn off any camera while using for a couple hours. Maybe that's the difference. 

As I posted previously, I did however, specifically test GPS continuity when the camera goes to sleep and this is where I found the biggest improvement as the Geotagging continues even when either the camera and iPhone "sleep". I never have to go into the iPhone and set to "never sleep" mode anymore to maintain tagging. 

No idea what might be causing your geotagging to be stuck on previous locations, this is not happening to me...so far. However, my locality is flat terrain, not even a hill and network coverage is pretty strong via 5G or LTE throughout. 

Have you tried the old uninstall reinstall Fotos app approach? Or, reset the network on your mobile phone? However, could by your SL2-S needs a reset too ) just speculating) 

Edit: If you turn on Fotos app and camera data collection prior to your next geotagging session and if you experience the same maybe tech support can use that data to help troubleshoot a bug or some other improvement needed for a future firmware update. 

Edited by LBJ2

On 6/30/2022 at 2:44 AM, beewee said:

I disable usage reports.

There is a minor Fotos app update v 3.2.2 is available if you haven't seen that already. 

Thanks. After digging into my settings on the FOTOs app, I noticed that Geolocation was set to ‘while app is in use’ instead of ‘Always’, which is where I normally set it. I do recall making this change back to ‘while app is in use’ a while back so you can call it user error but I find it pretty annoying that there’s no mechanism to know that my location used for geotagging is stale.

Even when the last location update from the FOTOs app is hours old, the camera still shows the geotagging icon indicating that the location is up to date. I recall in the release notes that the icon is used for up to 24hrs or something silly. In my opinion, any location update older than 5 minutes should be considered stale. It’s ok to keep using it but at least let me know that I’m working with old geolocation data so I can look into the issue rather than find out days later. This is setting up the camera for a bad user experience.

20 hours ago, beewee said:

Thanks. After digging into my settings on the FOTOs app, I noticed that Geolocation was set to ‘while app is in use’ instead of ‘Always’, which is where I normally set it. I do recall making this change back to ‘while app is in use’ a while back so you can call it user error but I find it pretty annoying that there’s no mechanism to know that my location used for geotagging is stale.

Even when the last location update from the FOTOs app is hours old, the camera still shows the geotagging icon indicating that the location is up to date. I recall in the release notes that the icon is used for up to 24hrs or something silly. In my opinion, any location update older than 5 minutes should be considered stale. It’s ok to keep using it but at least let me know that I’m working with old geolocation data so I can look into the issue rather than find out days later. This is setting up the camera for a bad user experience.

Yes, I think that mandatory geotagging setting "Always" setting can get flipped sometimes when updating the Fotos app or in the case of updating the camera's firmware seems I always have to disconnect the camera from Fotos app, then reconnect the camera to Fotos app after each camera firmware update. 

Not sure why they allow "‘while app is in use" as an option if it doesn't work. Sony Imaging Edge app lists the same thing and also requires the "always" settings to geotag as well. Maybe this "‘while app is in use" is a data privacy requirement...

3 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

Yes, I think that mandatory geotagging setting "Always" setting can get flipped sometimes when updating the Fotos app or in the case of updating the camera's firmware seems I always have to disconnect the camera from Fotos app, then reconnect the camera to Fotos app after each camera firmware update. 

Not sure why they allow "‘while app is in use" as an option if it doesn't work. Sony Imaging Edge app lists the same thing and also requires the "always" settings to geotag as well. Maybe this "‘while app is in use" is a data privacy requirement...

I’m pretty sure “while app is in use” option is a requirement for the Apple App Store and/or iOS/iPadOS location API for privacy reasons where Apple wants to give users more control over how often an app is permitted to get location information from the device. Unfortunately, this also means that it can cause things to break and it’s up to App developers to educate/notify users on what might break. In this case, the FOTOs app doesn’t bother to inform the user which is a problem on Leica’s part.

• 4 weeks later...

Is the 3.1 Firmware for the SL2-s identical to 3.0 with the exception of some issues related to the SL Summicron lenses, or are there more differences?
I must say that I am very impressed with the SL2-s and started thinking to sell my M10-R Black paint and its BP lens :-() 
Love the vintage M glasses on  the SL2-s (35 and 75 Summilux pre-ASPH), and those small Sigma DG DN lenses (e.g. 45mm 2.8)

6 hours ago, satijntje said:

Is the 3.1 Firmware for the SL2-s identical to 3.0 with the exception of some issues related to the SL Summicron lenses, or are there more differences?

The 3.1 was released as a hotfix for the Summicron related issues. I don't think there was enough time to squeeze in anything else, given the urgency.