Summarit-M Lenses

rpsawin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a 75/2.5 and just today received a 35/2.4 ASPH. They will be part of my M10-M kit. I've used the 75/2.5 since Oct. 2021 and it is one of my favorite lenses. From the very brief fiddling I've done so far I think the 35/2.4 is going to rival my 35mm SUMMICRON-M. I look forward to reading other photographers experiences with these lenses.

• Like 5

The modern Summarit range has been an interesting period in Leica's recent portfolio and the lenses have been discussed here quite often in a number of threads. Many members here rate their Summarit lenses on a par with anything Leica has produced and some even prefer this range to their more 'prestigious' alternatives...

Like you I have the 75mm f2.5 and also it's 90mm 'twin'. They are superb in every respect. I've never used the 'shorter' f/l Summarits but, from what I've read written by many members here whose opinions I respect highly, I believe them to be every bit as good as you anticipate your incoming 35mm will be.

Hope you have great times with your lenses!

Philip.

• Like 3

I changed to the f2.5 versions of the Summarit 35, 50, and 90 as my usual "kit" for the M10. I have Sunmmicrons, Summilux, etc. but prefer the size and handling of the Summarits, and find the images just as pleasing for my use.

• Like 7

I have the 35/2.4 and 75/2.4 and think they're excellent.  Maybe they don't feel quite as 'premium' as some of the more expensive Leica lenses (focus/aperture ring feel, for example), but I have no complaints with them from an optical standpoint.

• Like 5

I have 2.5 in 35/50/75 they are very good, or better (well some aspects ! ) than more expensive same focal lengths Leica lens.

At first, mfd at 80cm or 1m was a concern, in reality after using a while, not a big gap.

The 75 is even better handling, short travel/smooth with large rubber ring, than my Apo-Summicron-M 75mm.

Benefit of "rounder" aperture openings without "Ninja Stars" of apo 75mm.

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I loved the 35mm f/2.5 Summarit I had a few years ago, it doesn't give up any image quality to the Summicron ASPH, in fact I preferred it to the Summicron.  Better flare performance too.

I tried the newer f/2.4 version recently and found the mechanical design less to my liking than the older version.  Same performance though.  I had a clear out just this month to enable the purchase of my 28mm Summicron.   I kept only the Nokton Classic II in 35mm.

• Like 3

I find the 35mm summarit flatter and lesser contrast than the current Cron asph, which is why it seems to pop less to my eyes. But with the gentler rendering I see more crisp detail with the summarit. Horse for courses.

Not every one likes the punchy and contrasting rendering of the Cron asph for all subjects

Edited by cboy
Asph*
  • Like 1

I recently shot a concert that my friend's band did at a trade show here in Las Vegas with my M10-R & Summarit 75/2.5 and the images were outstanding.  Color reproduction and sharpness was excellent.  The stage lights were bright and I didn't have to use a very high ISO but manual focusing on guys moving all over the place was a bit tricky.  I had more than few "misses" but did have a lot of keepers and the guys really liked the images.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Already seen here

I love a blending of  blur/contrast/not too harsh on Monochrom,

like here 2.5/35mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

75/2.5 on M9 today

• Like 9

I know it wouldn’t make sense, that there is already an Elmarit which from a cost perspective covers Leica’s product area behind the Summicron but still, I really wish there was a 28mm Summarit. Even if it were a slower aperture to the other Summarits, I’d have still been in for that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray Vonn said:

I know it wouldn’t make sense, that there is already an Elmarit which from a cost perspective covers Leica’s product area behind the Summicron but still, I really wish there was a 28mm Summarit. Even if it were a slower aperture to the other Summarits, I’d have still been in for that.

For me the Elmarit-M asph. 28mm ( could be in Summarit-M family ), this one created for/with M8 (2006)

with bonus of 10cm closer focus and "non slanted" rectified brass focus ramp 😄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ray Vonn said:

Interesting comment, Ray, but what, exactly, could it possibly have been in terms of specification?

In comparison to the 75mm Summilux and 90mm Summicron the Summarit-M lenses were slower, smaller, sharper, lighter and cheaper. No question.

As far as a 28mm Summarit, though?

Forget about maximum aperture; hypothetically, to get a 28mm Summarit to be somehow smaller, sharper, lighter and cheaper than the 28mm Elmarit ASPH might be an unrealistic target on every level.

Philip.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pippy said:

Interesting comment, Ray, but what, exactly, could it possibly have been in terms of specification?

In comparison to the 75mm Summilux and 90mm Summicron the Summarit-M lenses were slower, smaller, sharper, lighter and cheaper. No question.

As far as a 28mm Summarit, though?

Forget about maximum aperture; hypothetically, to get a 28mm Summarit to be somehow smaller, sharper, lighter and cheaper than the 28mm Elmarit ASPH might be an unrealistic target on every level.

Philip.

Hi Phillip,

You're completely right of course and to be honest, I was just being selfish to my own wishes.  If those selfish wishes meant a Summarit 28mm lens being bigger, less sharp and heavier than an Elmarit ASPH, then that would be a compromise I'd be happy to make.  But it's hard to disagree with Arnaud's suggestion that the Elmarit M ASPH could be part of the Summarit family.

• Like 1

I have only the 75/2.5 but like it very much. Great compact and light 75mm prime!

The only thing I do not like with the Summarit line is that it was discontinued! I actually do not understand the rationale behind that. Was it to push lens prices up ? Or was it just a transition period and Leica will eventually unveil a new Summarit line with different characteristics ?

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

After a month with rit 75  2.5 I bought 35 2.5. Awesome, pleasing and fun lens line up👌

• Like 2

On 6/9/2022 at 4:04 PM, Joska said:

After a month with rit 75  2.5 I bought 35 2.5. Awesome, pleasing and fun lens line up👌

Here is update with new 35 f2,5  very first shots and I`m in love

• Like 3