Price rising, do you still shoot film?

Einst_Stein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, shooting film is getting more expensive. But so is everything else. One must stay within ones disposable income obviously, but some 'reorganizing of the deck chairs on the Titanic' may help to stay afloat. 🤪 I still consider an evening dining out to cost more than my current level of film shooting and have nothing to show for it the next day! At least I usually get a keeper or two when I shoot film.

The flip side is that long term, digital is no cheaper and may be even more expensive when one consider all the costs involved in shooting it. eg. replacing/upgrading cameras, computers, software, etc.

Both media have their upside and downside. Running both seems to work reasonably, at least for me.

• Like 2

I am pretty set for the next year. I am not a film hoarder, but I have purchased enough film for the next year at the current (soon to be lower!) prices. 

After that film is gone...we shall see. I can pretty seamlessly transition to digital if I have to. Don't want to, but I do have a "pain-point" too. In the meantime, enjoy it while you can!

On 1/17/2023 at 11:41 AM, lmans said:

Just looking at film at  B&H....it appears the cost has come down a bit as of late....right? 

400TX went up to $159 plus change for a few months for a 100’ bulk roll then went back down to $149 plus change. That’s the data point I watch. 

I haven't gone to that particular data point entry, but I have just observed regular color film and when I go to BH, the price is still high, but not as high as I recall in the past few months. That is a good thing. I doubt if they will ever return to what they were a year ago, as once the prices are shifted up, they never come back down all the way. So we have permanent inflation.

23 minutes ago, 250swb said:

It remains you can still buy a roll of film for less than the price of a trip to Starbucks, and some people buy more than one coffee a day. So is film expensive compared with something you drink, get a mild high from, and then piss out?

If you drink fixer, film is still incredibly cheap 😂

Seriously speaking, I must say I do not have big concerns about the price of film, B&W or color. I develop everything myself, so the whole process is still affordable. As regards CMS 20 II Pro, though, I was fond of the previous price, as it allowed me to get 6 rolls each time, so as not to waist the dedicated developer. At 10 euros a roll it now gets slightly more prohibitive. Have you ever tried to develop this film in a different developer by the way? I've never tried it, as I'm afraid it would not bring forth its characteristics, but I can't tell for sure of course.

On 1/16/2023 at 6:34 PM, erl said:

.... The flip side is that long term, digital is no cheaper and may be even more expensive when one consider all the costs involved in shooting it. eg. replacing/upgrading cameras, computers, software, etc.

Both media have their upside and downside. Running both seems to work reasonably, at least for me.

Digital and film expenses feel like a wash the way I shoot them. I wouldn't consider a computer and software a photography expense, since I'd have it all, anyway, as would most folks. And I'd need it all for film or digital.  

As far as digital camera upgrades, we all know they are not as necessary as most do them. It's nice to be oblivious to the digital NEXT BIG THING hoopla, but look at the M6 hysteria and demand.

A nice thing about digital is that the camera is a one-time expense. After that it FEELS like you're shooting for free. An illusion, I know, but maybe easier on the psyche than those week after week film expenses, especially for color.   

Edited by johnwolf

1 hour ago, 4r36 said:

At 10 euros a roll 

!!!!

What! Buy it somewhere else, even in the UK it's £3.63 a roll at Silverprint, or at FirstCall £35 for five including enough developer in the deal!

I've been experimenting again with 510 Pyro which I started out using for the original CMS20 way back when you could get it in 120. But to be honest the Adotech IV is better despite an inner desire to find an alternative magic potion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johnwolf said:

A nice thing about digital is that the camera is a one-time expense. After that it FEELS like you're shooting for free. An illusion, I know, but maybe easier on the psyche than those week after week film expenses, especially for color.   

Unless you count your monthly bill for photo editing software, or your photo storage (Squarespace, Pixpa 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lmans said:

Unless you count your monthly bill for photo editing software, or your photo storage (Squarespace, Pixpa 🙂

Like many film users today, I use a computer and software for scanning. I use Lightroom for film photo editing and storage. For sharing and hosting I use tumblr, Instagram, and Flickr --all free. So film and digital require the same technology, at least for me. 

Edited by johnwolf

Personally, I think trying to compare film with digital is a futile exercise in non resolution. I spent my life earning a living first from film and later from digital. Today I just enjoy and use whichever is most appropriate. Both are cost invested whatever you do. Yesterday I shot nearly three hundred images in two hours. That would have broken the bank using film. A few days earlier, I shot half a roll of 120, as yet still in the camera, but I know the images will be superior to what I would have achieved with digital. Yesterday my lunch cost AU$190 but I was not paying! The point is one must carefully choose what to pay, for what to pay and when to pay.

It wasn't meant to be easy, it was meant to be life.

• Like 2