Replacing vulcanite on your analog Leica M - leather or leatherette body reskin?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Saddle leather Leica M-A. 😎 Better than original PVC.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, johnwolf said:

Someday in the not-to-distant future maybe we'll look upon leather as we now do fur.

Do good and go vegan with leatherette. 

John 

I can only agree, wise words 

Edited by Kriehuber
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, the final product is here. Replaced everything myself, less than an hour prep & work time.
The leatherette was cut super nicely & precisely (although it smelled of some odd Chinese chemicals). The button rewind "U" hole could have been just *slightly* larger.

I smeared the sticky 3M part of the leatherette with 70% (rubbing) alcohol via a Q-tip so it did not stick firmly to the camera immediatelly. You have about 30 minutes time to slightly reposition (and re-stretch!) the leatherette this way before you press firmly. Do NOT get alcohol on the front side though - this is not leather!

The camera now looks exactly as I wanted. Would have kept the old vulcanite but it crumbled away in an ugly way, so it was the only option.
The good part - reskin anytime when bored of this look. Next time with 100% real leather.

Now off to the durability test. BRB in a year or so 😁

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, jakontil said:

Nice AI! Did you get the skin off ebay? Seemed to have seen somehow..ordered from him but for my hasselblad… 

my skin nave arrived will reskin on Sunday hopefully 

Yeah from the bay, a seller called louw2008. China to EU in 14 days from shipped in Guangdong province in to my door fully tracked.

Edited by Al Brown

18 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Yeah from the bay, a seller called louw2008. China to EU in 14 days from shipped in Guangdong province in to my door fully tracked.

Yeah that same guy, my skin for hassy arrived today, decent delivery time to indonesia, very good seller, have asked him for a genuine leather, sadly he aint got many to choose from

...does anyone know where I can get the *exact* covering used on the original M6 in the mid-80s? One of my MPs still sports its factory 'sharkskin' job and is crying out for change.

I was going through some 37-year old Leitz literature and suddenly realised how much has been lost to vulgarity - it really does seem inconceivable now that Leicas were once sold as discreet tools. Each to their own, but I much prefer the understated elegance and functionality of the original M6 covering - please note I am not referring to the 'pebbled' or more recent looks favoured by the jewellery mob.

I will try to upload some relevant imagery shortly. Sadly, my retired M6 got a smooth-but-grippy leather 'upgrade' long ago, so I will have to see if I can glean some images directly off the brochures. Any assistance relating to my specific request will be much appreciated - and please, I am not interested in anything else. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
On 2/28/2022 at 4:02 PM, andrew01 said:

I had my M3 recovered with Aki Asahi #4008.  This is a synthetic replica of the original vulcanite. It is almost identical to the original vulcanite in look and feel - the swinging back door of my M3 still has the original vulcanite so I can directly comppare.

Is this the most "true to original" recovering? The vulcanite on the door of my M3 separated in the middle by the asa dial and is flaking off...

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 1:54 PM, GarageBoy said:

Is this the most "true to original" recovering? The vulcanite on the door of my M3 separated in the middle by the asa dial and is flaking off...

I have not seen any other alternatives, but to my extremely fussy eye it looks identical. It is also extremely durable. You won’t be disappointed.