Leica SL2 Multi shot mode

IJGRAY

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone know if you can use Leica M lenses with the Multi shot mode on the Leica SL2.

Ive read somewhere that you need full frame lenses for multi shot mode. But what does full frame lens mean. I use M lenses to produce full frame pictures. 

Also my instruction manual does not even mention Multi shot mode so how do you select it. And also why does the manual not even mention anything at all about the side of the camera which you can add external devices (opposite side of the camera from where the SD card slots are)

Edited by IJGRAY
Needed to add further points

When the SL2 was released, multi shot was not available yet. It was added later in via firmware. I thought the latest online version of the manual covered it but I might have that wrong. You can use any full frame lens for multi shot Leica or non Leica. M lenses are full frame and should work fine. You will have to define the lens to the camera in the camera information area. 

Paul

Yes, you can shoot in multi-shot mode with any lens.  I use SL lenses, M lenses and even Canon lenses with a sigma Mc-21 adapter.

Great results.  It is the last or second to last selection in the drive mode.

Robb

2 hours ago, robb said:

Yes, you can shoot in multi-shot mode with any lens.

I think the caveat is any full-frame lens. For some reason, multi-shot is not supported when using TL lenses. No idea why even though if you mount a SL lens and shoot in APS-C crop mode, you can use multi-shot. None of this makes any sense but that’s the current reality.

Edited by beewee
  • Like 1

The camera need to be set to full frame mode. if you set the camera sensor readout to aps-c the multi shot function get disabled.

I don't have TL lenses, I think they switch the sensor to crop mode automatically . M lenses are made for 35mm, they all should work fine.

You can download the PDF got the SL2 firmware update explaining how it works. This function was not included in the initial release of the camera.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for all the replies. Thats sorted my multi shot questions. Has anyone any thoughts on the other question I raised about why the instruction manual completely ignores all reference to the ports on the side of the camera ( opposite side to the card slots).

1 minute ago, IJGRAY said:

Thanks for all the replies. Thats sorted my multi shot questions. Has anyone any thoughts on the other question I raised about why the instruction manual completely ignores all reference to the ports on the side of the camera ( opposite side to the card slots).

I have pointed this out to Leica, plus the fact that the manual for the Leica remote release for the SL2 refers to where to stick the connector and that contradicts the SL2 manual as well.

On 1/9/2022 at 2:20 PM, Slender said:

Nope, quite not.

6 μm pixel pitch on the SL2s.

4.3 μm pixel pitch on the SL2.

The math?

Assuming pixels are square, take the large side of the SL2 (8368 pixel) and divide by the one from SL2s (6000) = 1.39466667.

The pixel pitch of a FF 24MP sensor being 6 μm divide by 1.39... tada you get to the spec listed 4.3um of SL2 47.3MP sensor.

If you want to OVERSAMPLE (downsampling throws pixel away, oversampling merges them), the effective image size reduction in photoshop, from a 8368 x 5584 pixels file size down to a (perfect) 24 MP = 6000x4000 pixels, you average about 70% of the original image height and width.... whilst effective resolution is halved. Makes for crisper images with a fine or non-existent grain.

Let us not forget the cousin S1R sensor got the highest ever score in DXO for full frame sensor. When used well, it works wonders.

On 1/9/2022 at 10:03 AM, IJGRAY said:

When comparing the pixel density of the SL2-S compared to the SL2 it is noted that the  lower maximum density of the SL2-S is half that of the SL2. Consequently this means that the size of each and every pixel is twice as large as those on the SL2 and a larger pixel size means better performance in lower light photography. Thus they argue that the SL2-S may be a better choice for some. 

What I don’t understand why nobody points out that you could at the same time use an SL2 but select a lower density setting if you so desire. I am led to believe that most cameras even the cheapest allow you to alter the pixel density. I often select the lowest density to send files to people.

Am I missing something here ? Sony in particular make different camera version in their A7 range to specifically accommodate this factor.

My obvious question is - Why not have a high density camera but select the lower density option when appropriate instead of buying a lower density camera to make better low light images.

On 1/10/2022 at 4:34 PM, jaapv said:

The pixels remain the same size, they are physical spots on the sensor They cannot shrink or expand.
The only thing that happens is that the camera applies a digital interpolation to arrive at the pixel count of a virtual camera with a sensor containing 24 MP.
The result is wholly dependent on the algorithm used. Normally some noise is eliminated, motion blur performance may be minimally improved and some detail lost, that is all. And the files will be smaller.
A native 24 MP camera will perform marginally better for the simple reason that one pixel will have more active surface than a number of pixels occupying the same surface area.

Edited by IJGRAY

1 hour ago, Eclectic Man said:

I have pointed this out to Leica, plus the fact that the manual for the Leica remote release for the SL2 refers to where to stick the connector and that contradicts the SL2 manual as well.

Edited by IJGRAY

With the latest firmware on the SL2, you can now select 12 seconds delay for the multi-shot self time, in the past I believe you only had 2 seconds delay and IMO that is not enough. The key is focus, focus, and focus.  The camera IMO can do an amazing job when you are on a solid tripod, with little to no wind and take the extra 12 seconds for delay.  But take the extra time to dial in focus manually as that seems to be the way to get the most accurate results.  Note with 47MB and modern sharpening software tools, you can actually get away with a slight out of focus image unless you plan to take the file and uprez it much past 1.5 times base image resolution.  The multshot image is huge and you can't preview the entire image in camera.  However don't be fooled by the zoom on the camera's LCD or EVF, make sure you zoom in al the way, as then you can see imperfections that will show up at 100% in post.  If you dial back the zoom from 100%, the image will look great on the LCD but still may not contain the best overall focus detail.  You also may find that taking down the resolution to around 150MP from 187 may give you a slightly sharpen image for print.  With the right conditions, mainly no wind, Multi shot is very impressive if you take the extra time to make sure you have the best optics and focus. 

Use the Lecia remote or a Mipos.  If you use the Miops you need a special converter since the port on the SL2 is not a micro like on the Panasonic S1R. 

Paul

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2022 at 2:42 PM, Eclectic Man said:

Can I ask you what was the response from Leica when you raised issues with them. Did they reply to you ? I ask because I have raised one or two issues with them and have suggested that their controlling camera body software has bugs in it. If that is the case then they should correct those bugs. It would be at a small cost for a very big gain to them. I unfortunately have not got a reply from them. Thats why I am interested in wether or not they replied to you.

2 hours ago, IJGRAY said:

Can I ask you what was the response from Leica when you raised issues with them. Did they reply to you ? I ask because I have raised one or two issues with them and have suggested that their controlling camera body software has bugs in it. If that is the case then they should correct those bugs. It would be at a small cost for a very big gain to them. I unfortunately have not got a reply from them. Thats why I am interested in wether or not they replied to you.

I did not receive a reply after I sent them a photograph of the offending pages. As you can see the remote release manual advises connecting to the socket marked 36 in the camera manual, but the camera manual has part of the lens numbered 36.  (Yes, I've seen the threads advising that a much cheaper and equally effective remote release is available from another supplier.)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica uses a older style jack. It’s not the micro poet used by other camera companies including Panasonic. If you don’t want to use the limited function Leica branded remote release. Order one of these. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352947462426

This will correctly step the port down to micro and keep the correct internal connects. Note many other of these style adapters don’t have the correct internal connections and you will not have communication. 

With this adapter you can use any third party intervalometer style remote that is designed for Panasonic or a Miops style remote. 

Paul

59 minutes ago, Eclectic Man said:

I did not receive a reply after I sent them a photograph of the offending pages. As you can see the remote release manual advises connecting to the socket marked 36 in the camera manual, but the camera manual has part of the lens numbered 36.  (Yes, I've seen the threads advising that a much cheaper and equally effective remote release is available from another supplier.)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The remote manual is technically correct in that it points to the remote connector on the original SL body: