Am I going to regret selling my Leica M8 for the M240?

Rangeman133

UPDATE, M240 arrived today. Overall I'm quite happy tbh. The one issue is not being able to see the 35mm framelines completely as someone who wears eyeglasses. I'm not sure why, but i thought the m240 framlines for 35mm would be okay with glasses on.

I prefer 28mm and 35mm over 50mm, but being able to easily see outside of the 50mm framelines might change this. i am going to intentionally try to shoot more with the 50mm, to see if i can get more use to it.

VF magnification is .68x on both M8 and M240, but as noted earlier, frame lines are optimized for .7m on the former (non-upgraded) and 2m on the latter.  I’m not sure if this accounts for your experience, or if there are other factors at work. I wear glasses as well, and always ask my optician for thin, flexible frames with scratch resistant lenses. Regardless, I find that  long term use of any camera/lens combo makes framing almost second nature (but 2m optimization suits my typical subject matter better). 

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think at first you won't. But later you will. The M8 has charm and a unique quality. Plus you can do IR photography with a dedicated IR filter, and shoot up to 1/8000th of a second. So save your money to get another M8 later on and use both the 240 and M8 when you do.

I've got the M8, M9-P, and the MP Typ 240. All are very much different and serve different purposes. 

• Like 2