The Q2 and Capture One

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I open a raw image taken with the Q2 in Capture One the image is shown with a slight crop and the crop tool symbol is shown.  When I view the whole image just the cropped version is shown.  The only way i can regain the whole image is by un-cropping it.  It is like this in both standard and cropped lens settings. The crop is not 5o mm or 35 or 75 but just marginally small all round than the full image.  Both CO and the Q2 have up to date software installed.

Why is this and I know of at least one other person who is having the same problem.

Edited by David Monkhouse

43 minutes ago, David Monkhouse said:

When I open a raw image taken with the Q2 in Capture One the image is shown with a slight crop and the crop tool symbol is shown.  When I view the whole image just the cropped version is shown.  The only way i can regain the whole image is by un-cropping it.  It is like this in both standard and cropped lens settings. The crop is not 5o mm or 35 or 75 but just marginally small all round than the full image.  Both CO and the Q2 have up to date software installed.

Why is this and I know of at least one other person who is having the same problem.

It is not a problem or a flaw but a deliberate design. This is because the edges of the image are supposed to be cut off.
Due to the digital lens correction (the lens is a hybrid design, discussed ad nauseam when the Q came out), it is a 24 mm lens designed to render optimally in 28 mm crop. The edges should be discarded as the outer part of the image circle is of lower quality.

Thank you, strangely and not knowing about the 24 mm issue, I thought something like this might be the cause.  I would like to read what was originally said if this is possible.  Do you have a link to the topic that I could use.

And seriously, many thanks for your reassuring help.

Best wishes, David...

The Q takes an image that is 6120 x 4016 pixels in size.   The extra 120 pixels on the long axis and 16 pixels on the short axis are used to correct lens distortion.  The adjusted image is 6000 x 4000 -- the advertised size.   Some seemed to be offended that the lens was so poor when looking at the uncorrected image, ignoring the idea that the system was designed to be corrected.

Anyway, take a look a this thread:

On 11/16/2021 at 12:45 PM, David Monkhouse said:

/edit - I thought you had a Q2 Monochrom for some reason but you don't. However, the following still applies, just the specific numbers will be different! The answer has already been given but I wanted to add a little around the Capture One side of things so you can see what's happening there.

Hi David,

The Leica rated dimensions of Q2M DNG images are 8368 x 5584 and you'll find that's the exact size you get with the default crop applied - that is to say, Capture One isn't "stealing" any pixels and Leica isn't lying about its image size. :) 

The "true" size of the image is actually a little larger (as you can see when you open the crop tool) but the image quality in that area is deemed beneath the standards Leica has set so image processing software is instructed to "hide" it by default. In fact, if you go into the lens profile tool, switch off "Hide Distorted Areas", then go into the crop tool and switch on "Crop Outside Image" you can access the full image size that the sensor perceives, and that's actually a huge 9424 x 6289 pixels! Unfortunately, your image will look something like this... ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Nick Milner
Error on my part.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/23/2021 at 8:37 AM, Nick Milner said:

/edit - I thought you had a Q2 Monochrom for some reason but you don't. However, the following still applies, just the specific numbers will be different! The answer has already been given but I wanted to add a little around the Capture One side of things so you can see what's happening there.

Hi David,

The Leica rated dimensions of Q2M DNG images are 8368 x 5584 and you'll find that's the exact size you get with the default crop applied - that is to say, Capture One isn't "stealing" any pixels and Leica isn't lying about its image size. :) 

The "true" size of the image is actually a little larger (as you can see when you open the crop tool) but the image quality in that area is deemed beneath the standards Leica has set so image processing software is instructed to "hide" it by default. In fact, if you go into the lens profile tool, switch off "Hide Distorted Areas", then go into the crop tool and switch on "Crop Outside Image" you can access the full image size that the sensor perceives, and that's actually a huge 9424 x 6289 pixels! Unfortunately, your image will look something like this... ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If you remove the crop, also turn off distortion correction so you don't get the empty spaces in the image above. This works well for close-distance shots at wide angle but not for shots with straight lines that need to stay straight.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 1