Traveling 3 weeks to India...Take the M9P or leave it "safe" at home?

rivi1969

11 hours ago, rivi1969 said:

Good afternoon everyone, just want to share my thoughts on this one.

My wife and I are traveling to India early next year, we will go to remote places traveling on TukTuks, trains, boats and even elephants. Last time she travel there, after a month of adventure her Lumix came back in pretty rough condition, completely cover in a very fine dust that was difficult to clean and with a few extra scratches.

I want to take my M8 and M9-P each with one lens, but I wonder if I should be better off with my Fuji X-T3 and its primes which are all weather sealed. 

I know, cameras are tools to be used and enjoy, and a nick or two are mementos of our adventures, but...anyway... not sure LOL

What would you do?

Ricardo

My wife & I have  a 2 weeks cycling tour in Sri Lanka immediately followed by 13 weeks of backpacking in India planned from January 2022 . 

Until the introduction of the new type of airport scanners, I would have had no second thoughts about taking my Leica MP with as much Ektar and Portra as I could reasonably carry. 

My eldest son has had three films partially spoilt by the new scanners during a long weekend trip to Rome earlier this month, so I'm now on the cusp of buying my first digital Leica M, likely to be an M10-r, to take with me in place of my MP.

I could take my Fuji X100F or a Nikon dslr but I really want to take a Leica M!  I'm not bothered about the camera and three new summicron lenses getting dusty or worn, that is simply part of the adventure.  It's a camera, not a piece of jewellery and I'll buy it with the intention of using it.  

• Like 2

If you bought your Leica gear to take photographs with why not use them? Especially in a photogenic place like. India. If you bought it to look at it, put it at a safe and only take out to fondle. I think you Leicas are better able to withstand the rigours of the journey than Fuji, as long as you have a simple plastic bag with you to protect them from heavy rain. Having said that, my M240 withstood the tropical rain forest of Mahale without any other problem than the viewfinder fogging up completely. We used to have a dunked M camera club on this forum. Tina Manley dropped her M8 in a river in Honduras I believe without ill effects, and there were others. 

• Like 4

If I would have weather sealed camera and lens, I would take it.

If I would looking for change and have thousands of dollars or really good insurance I would take great camera which is not made anymore and only particularly supported.

War photogs have zero issues to get gear  they might not even own to get replaced.

How about yours.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jaapv said:

If you bought your Leica gear to take photographs with why not use them? Especially in a photogenic place like. India. If you bought it to look at it, put it at a safe and only take out to fondle. I think you Leicas are better able to withstand the rigours of the journey than Fuji, as long as you have a simple plastic bag with you to protect them from heavy rain. Having said that, my M240 withstood the tropical rain forest of Mahale without any other problem than the viewfinder fogging up completely. We used to have a dunked M camera club on this forum. Tina Manley dropped her M8 in a river in Honduras I believe without ill effects, and there were others. 

Absolutely, the idea is to use them and I would love to take them all but unfortunately - I forgot to mention- I have lower back/hip problems that manifest when I carry too much extra weight, so I think 2 bodies, 2 lens kit will be enough.

Or, I could trade my 2 Ms for a weather-sealed Q2 and stop worrying about it 😂😂

4 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

My wife & I have  a 2 weeks cycling tour in Sri Lanka immediately followed by 13 weeks of backpacking in India planned from January 2022 . 

Until the introduction of the new type of airport scanners, I would have had no second thoughts about taking my Leica MP with as much Ektar and Portra as I could reasonably carry. 

My eldest son has had three films partially spoilt by the new scanners during a long weekend trip to Rome earlier this month, so I'm now on the cusp of buying my first digital Leica M, likely to be an M10-r, to take with me in place of my MP.

I could take my Fuji X100F or a Nikon dslr but I really want to take a Leica M!  I'm not bothered about the camera and three new summicron lenses getting dusty or worn, that is simply part of the adventure.  It's a camera, not a piece of jewellery and I'll buy it with the intention of using it.  

Wow, that sounds like an amazing adventure you are going to have! While in India if I see a backpacker with an M10 I will say hi, it might be you 😂

4 minutes ago, rivi1969 said:

Wow, that sounds like an amazing adventure you are going to have! While in India if I see a backpacker with an M10 I will say hi, it might be you 😂

At this point our journey is on, unless Covid-19 changes anything in the meantime.  One more round of vaccinations to go and we're all set.

I am also taking an old Canon Sureshot A1 waterproof  point and shoot 35mm camera for the Holi Festival that we intend to visit in March.  I should be able to get hold of some film there  and get it processed before we return.

Keep an eye out, we could be in Leh, Kerala, Jaisalmer, Kolkata or anywhere in between! :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rivi1969 said:

Absolutely, the idea is to use them and I would love to take them all but unfortunately - I forgot to mention- I have lower back/hip problems that manifest when I carry too much extra weight, so I think 2 bodies, 2 lens kit will be enough.

Or, I could trade my 2 Ms for a weather-sealed Q2 and stop worrying about it 😂😂

Personally, I have  a similar problem, it's my age I'am afraid, I don't know about trading your M camera for a Q2, but I would rather take a Q2 then an M camera, no changing lenses, image stabilising weather sealed etc,  however the Fuji does offer more versatility.

Unfortunately  there are other reasons, but I won't mention on the forum.

So good luck and be safe.

Ken.

• Like 1

I think the tyranny of too many lenses is very real.

Let's remember you are here to enjoy your travels, and companions.  Sometimes i leave my cameras behind.  Often just take one camera and a fairly conventional lens (35mm or 50mm) for a days outing...just can't be bothered with which lens for what composition.

It's much easier and more fun taking one cam-one lens out.

Of course one can do same next day, or afternoon with different combination.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2021 at 3:35 PM, grahamc said:

Are you a member on a Fuji forum aswell as a Leica M one ?   That's the simple acid test IMO :D   True love is expressed by actions 

Sounds like an amazing trip btw! 

Yes, we can say I am camera-polygamous 😂, in fact I am thinking in getting a Nikon Z5 now that that are on sale for 999 bucks. 

Originally we had our tickets to Korea, but due to restrictions we don't think will open in March, so we want to wait a few more weeks before we switch tickets to India. Either way will be awesome 👍🏼

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 7:33 PM, david strachan said:

I think the tyranny of too many lenses is very real.

Let's remember you are here to enjoy your travels, and companions.  Sometimes i leave my cameras behind.  Often just take one camera and a fairly conventional lens (35mm or 50mm) for a days outing...just can't be bothered with which lens for what composition.

It's much easier and more fun taking one cam-one lens out.

Of course one can do same next day, or afternoon with different combination.

Totally agree. And our backs thank us for not carrying too much stuff. In long trips I can handle 2 bodies each with one lens, my favorites being 28 and 35 fov, so the M8+21 and M9P+35 fit the bill perfectly. Just one charger is also welcome! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rivi1969 said:

Yes, we can say I am camera-polygamous 😂, in fact I am thinking in getting a Nikon Z5 now that that are on sale for 999 bucks. 

Originally we had our tickets to Korea, but due to restrictions we don't think will open in March, so we want to wait a few more weeks before we switch tickets to India. Either way will be awesome 👍🏼

Amazing ! I’d just take the one I enjoy the most I don’t think the dust issue is relevant (famous last words lol). I think these trips are the ones we buy our cameras for so take the one that you enjoy most and that gives you the best results (hopefully they both lead you to the same camera otherwise it won’t help)

I have considered the same question for a big trip we are planning.   I have a Fuji x100v that I had before buying an M and despite the amazing results I get from it I’ve barely touched it since buying the M so my decision is quite easy. In general I get less keepers I think from my M (lack of auto focus) but it doesn’t bother me because the character in the ones I do get, aswell as the enjoyment factor, puts the M well ahead in my book. 

If it’s only the dust and salt spray etc you are worried about, I really wouldn’t I’d just be careful ish when there 

Of course if you enjoy the other systems more or think that better results from them is worth more than any usability preferences you get from the M, then take them.  I use my M in a salt-spray / Sandy environment almost daily (admittedly it’s not often extremely windy) and I don’t worry about it at all.  It did take a few accidents with cheaper cameras to teach me to be careful near salt water though so I’m much more sensible with my Leica. But generally I’m only worried about splashed not sand in the air. 

The only other thing I’d put forward is filters.  I use screw in filters and couple of weeks ago I noticed mid shooting that it had worked it’s way off.  Next minute a storm came in and got caught in a Sandy windy environment.  I got home and I had a very small chip on the front element of the lens that I’d never noticed !! Now I’m not certain that it happened in that little storm but I’m 99% that it did because I was cleaning lenses the previous day and would probably have noticed a little nick. It was bad luck but does show that the filters are useful protection. 

it was my 50mm elmar-c so wasn’t happy at all 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 3