28 mm : Summation vs Hektor

didier

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear all 

I inherited a 1938 Hektor 2.8 cm I put on my M10M this weekend.

I love the size. In normal conditions, I like the rendering.

Pictures seem rather sharp in the center but sharpness decreases very fast from the center. It flares a lot.

How does it compare to 28 summaron reedition (particularly as far as flare is concerned) ?

Thank your for your input :)

Didier

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I have found the summaron reissue only flares in very strong back light,my 50mm summicrom v5 flares much more easily..

The summaron flares in a nice way when you can actually force it too but that is subjective of course.

The Summaron re-issue should definitely have better coatings, but if we are talking about the LTM Summaron VS the Hektor I’d say they are about the same when it comes to flare. 

That being said, your Hektor seems like it could use a CLA? I have a mint Hektor f6.3 uncoated and I had to try really hard to make it flare..plus it’s super sharp even wide-open, I’d say comparable sharpness to the Summaron (and just half a stop darker) so I don’t think it’s worth trading the Hektor for the Summaron if you already have one and would instead invest in a CLA. Size wise the Hektor is almost half the size of the summaron too! 

• Thanks 1

Here’s a shot with the Hektor, I forget the actual aperture used here..but you can see in the old lens thread I posted a review of the Hektor with some images about a week ago, so if you go back 3 or 4 pages you’ll find it with a couple more pictures. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a coated Hektor 2.8cm, from the last batch. It will flare, but not as easily as some of my uncoated lenses. 
you are right in that it is very sharp in the center. The Summaron is, I suspect, better in this regard. 
Still, I like mine as a “special look” lens. 
Yours looks like it could use a cleaning - mine had that glow look before I had it clean, too. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2021 at 3:25 PM, wda said:

Shooting into a bright light source is bound to degrade the image, to a certain extent. Somehow, I rather accept it as part of the atmospherics of the scene.

Agree.  That was a poor choice of images to showcase the lens.  Unless, of course, that was the point of the posting.

• Like 1

The Summaron reissue is an entirely different lens from either of the two screw mount lenses. Cosmetically it only looks like the ltm Summaron but the photos say maybe Elmarit V4. There’s some noticeable fall off at f5.6 and that’s as vintage as it’s going to get. 

51 minutes ago, rtai said:

The Summaron reissue is an entirely different lens from either of the two screw mount lenses. Cosmetically it only looks like the ltm Summaron but the photos say maybe Elmarit V4. There’s some noticeable fall off at f5.6 and that’s as vintage as it’s going to get. 

Is that opinion based on your your day to day use of the summaron reissue?

1 hour ago, steve 1959 said:

Is that opinion based on your your day to day use of the summaron reissue?

Of course. I am no poseur. But you’ll never know in this internet age. I met this friend on a photography forum and he could talk the talk, i.e. micro contrast blah blah blah and only the best will do. He said he was into large format photography so we met up for a photo shoot. I brought my LF camera and he brought his. It was apparent he did not know how to extend the tripod, set up the camera or even knew how to mount the lens onto the camera. I spent the day teaching him photography 101. For further insult I even processed the b/w film for him. He said he would take the color film to the lab but to this day they sit in his house somewhere unprocessed. He was and still less interested in photography than Helen Keller.

The 28mm Summaron-M is a great lens, not glass-shard high contrast like the Elmarit Asph which I also owned and used but rejected. The look is more like the Elmarit V4 stopped down. You can see a lot of fine details if you enlarge it on the computer. It is tiny, built like a jewel and affordable for a Leica. It’s all good but what it isn’t is a 2,8cm Summaron with better coating. 

I have photos shot with it and will post a few later.

Here’s one from the M10M, 28mm Summaron-M at f5.6.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, rtai said:

Of course. I am no poseur. But you’ll never know in this internet age. I met this friend on a photography forum and he could talk the talk, i.e. micro contrast blah blah blah and only the best will do. He said he was into large format photography so we met up for a photo shoot. I brought my LF camera and he brought his. It was apparent he did not know how to extend the tripod, set up the camera or even knew how to mount the lens onto the camera. I spent the day teaching him photography 101. For further insult I even processed the b/w film for him. He said he would take the color film to the lab but to this day they sit in his house somewhere unprocessed. He was and still less interested in photography than Helen Keller.

The 28mm Summaron-M is a great lens, not glass-shard high contrast like the Elmarit Asph which I also owned and used but rejected. The look is more like the Elmarit V4 stopped down. You can see a lot of fine details if you enlarge it on the computer. It is tiny, built like a jewel and affordable for a Leica. It’s all good but what it isn’t is a 2,8cm Summaron with better coating. 

Thanks ,

Although the summaron is sharp i still feel its vignetting and slight softness in the corners qualifies it as a vintage reissue but i would love to see a comparison with the actual original lens i must admit.

• 2 years later...

Very interesting comments. I’ve finally tested both the original Hektor and Summaron 28mm and definitely find them to flare very little. The Summaron seems to have some kind of ring flare however when pushed to the extremes which the Hektor does not.

Here’s the link of my review in pictures if you’re interested, feedbacks welcome of course. :)

https://youtu.be/gEBuwhaVHwU

On 7/6/2021 at 10:53 PM, rtai said:

Was that me, by any chance? I am known to play. Like around town, when I see peoplE using Leica I ask them if it’s a fuji. We even argument because I certify them that fuji was first and that leica copies them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bronco McBeast said:

Was that me, by any chance? I am known to play. Like around town, when I see peoplE using Leica I ask them if it’s a fuji. We even argument because I certify them that fuji was first and that leica copies them.

Rather like camera club people who argue between Canon and Nikon. I point out that Canon used Nikon lenses originally as they did not make their own.

https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/canonrfs1.htm