Need advice about Summicron f2 vIII

Monochrome_Man

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First of all: hello everybody :)

I want to buy Summicron 50mm f2 v3. I have 2 dfferent lens to choose:

1. lens form about 1969r and it look like this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2. lens from 1974 and this one is looking as is:

In theory both are in good shape, after cla and working good. BUT is any difference beside desgin of lens from 1974 over older one? Price is nearyly the same.

Second set is more complete, lens hood etc.... but first one is in shop in my city, second one --- only shipping.

link to wiki: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Summicron_(II)_f%3D_5_cm_1:2

Edited by Monochrome_Man
errors

I could not prefer one over the other on the Monochrom for image quality. I think I would take the older one for a bit more vintage character. Always nice for B&W. OTOH the hood is a nice plus. You will be equally happy with either of them. 

• Like 1

I've used a 1968/9 v3 (bought new in 69) ever since, and it is a fine lens. A few years ago bought a new v5 to try on digital to compare. On most pictures I can't tell which was used - the v3 is really good - the fist M lens designed to better balance contrast with resolution. The v5 is sharper wide open, and has a built-in hood, but I'd be happy with either as my only 50. Yes, the focus throw is longer than modern lenses, as Leitz used to prefer that for accurate focus.

Mine eventually got stiff due to grease drying out, but it was easy to service after unscrewing the optical head.

5 hours ago, Monochrome_Man said:

is any difference beside desgin of lens from 1974 over older one

Those are both 11817 Summicron 50/2 v3 apparently. I'm not aware of any difference between copies from 1969 and 1974. Exact same lens including design IMHO. Now the hood of the 1969 lens sounds curious. It should have 12585 or 12585H engraved on it unless it is a plastic 12538. i would check if the hood is not a cheap screw-in hood from China. Also the hood of the 1969 lens has no hood cap which makes me believe that it is not a Leica hood. Otherwise i always prefer later lenses personally unless the early one is in better shape of course. All in all i vote for the 1974 copy.

• Like 2

If you know for sure you want version iii, go for one or the other. I'll just add that I had versions iv and v, had the same experience as TomB_tx, sold version iv, and gravitated to version v as the nearly permanent lens on the camera.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

I've used a 1968/9 v3 (bought new in 69) ever since, and it is a fine lens. A few years ago bought a new v5 to try on digital to compare. On most pictures I can't tell which was used - the v3 is really good - the fist M lens designed to better balance contrast with resolution. The v5 is sharper wide open, and has a built-in hood, but I'd be happy with either as my only 50. Yes, the focus throw is longer than modern lenses, as Leitz used to prefer that for accurate focus.

Mine eventually got stiff due to grease drying out, but it was easy to service after unscrewing the optical head.

Hello Everybody,

Just a point of clarification of Tom's insightful Post: The lens head that unscrews from the focusing mount for various purposes such as closeups, etc is the 11817, Version III. Which comes apart like its predecessor the 11818 "Rigid", Version II. Not the later Versions IV & V which do not separate. Their lens heads can NOT be separated & used for closeups, etc., like the earlier versions.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So i'm finnaly manage to get my Summicron V3; this one is old old desgin, complete set, and works like jewel... And this is a "black sheep" of Cron family? Just look on this colors and details 🤩

So, this is my new baby ;):

thank you all for help :)

Edited by Monochrome_Man
  • Like 1

Nice find and choice.

This is my first Leitz lens also, so many decades ago 😁.

Still have it and use it happily, never had it CLAed !

Weird hood which if the right one (12585) may not be separated in two.

Is-it 12504 ? in this case it's for 35mm so not for 50mm lens.

• Like 1