Leica CL-2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Chip shortage makes proof of life harder to get. 

Interesting article from DPReview about stalled production in 2021 certainly due to chip shortage. 
https://m.dpreview.com/news/2432231725/august-2021-cipa-data-steady-production-global-chip-shortage

I don’t see how tiny Leica can manage to get enough chips if their way bigger competitors can’t. 

Even Apple the least affected by chip shortage until now suffered massively from it. 
This year for the first time ever, they are binning their new A15  : with a defective GPU it became SOC for regular 13 and 13 mini. Perfect ones are reserved for 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max. Do not passed maximum speed tests became under clocked A15 for iPad mini 6.

Last year for the whole iPhone 12 line up and iPad Air 4 only perfect chips were used. 

Huge sign of chip constrained production. You cannot waste too many Silicons nowadays. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, crf59 said:

I was told by a reputable source, much to my dismay, that there will likely not be a CL2 or any successor to the CL. His comment was "it's not in the Leica budget for this year" and that "sales of the CL do not support continued investment". I hope he's wrong, but I doubt he is. I sold all my CL gear (had everything but the 60mm macro) and switched to the SL system (still have a bunch of M gear but these days it's too cumbersome for me to use1). I personally love the SL and SL2-S, but with Leica glass they are just too heavy for me for travel. I wish I had kept the CL kit and just bought the SL gear for when I am not traveling. I traveled to Spain the last two weeks and ran out to my local dealer to buy an emergency Nikon Z50 kit (with zooms) before I left. That combined setup was less than the weight of my SL2-S body alone (and by the way, the images were very good - was surprised). I carried my CL and 3 lenses on a trip to Rome before COVID and it was perfect.

I really wish Leica would update the CL, but business decisions are based on numbers and not desires.

I guess you are not alone.  My advice to those loyal supporters of the Leica CL, and who already have a versatile kit of lenses, is to buy a backup body while they are still available.  Their capability is already highly impressive and should continue to  serve you well. 

People are. forgetting something: There is a dire shortage of chips; Leica will need everything they can lay their hands on for the M11. Is it surprising that other models are on the back burner for the moment?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mmanda said:

Well.... a few weeks ago a friend of mine was told by a Leica employee that there will not be a CL2 and no more TL lenses. 

I wouldn’t wait for something that may never happen. The best camera is the one you can buy and use now right?

I hope it’s not true. The CL is an awesome camera and this forum shows that! 

Hearsay. Not one single verifiable fact presented. If one lowly employee of Leica had said this was true and presented facts, then others would have too. (See Occam’s Razor) I think we can dismiss this as simply gossip for the sake of attention.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Le Chef said:

Hearsay. Not one single verifiable fact presented. If one lowly employee of Leica had said this was true and presented facts, then others would have too. (See Occam’s Razor) I think we can dismiss this as simply gossip for the sake of attention.

Or the poster is getting a kickback from Fuji 🤣

• Haha 1

That said, I have a sneaking feeling the poster is right.  I am revising my prediction in the betting pool.  There will be no CL-2, BUT Lumix or sigma will save our tails with a 32.5 mp APS-C (Canon APS-C sensor) camera that allows to keep using our lenses ad infinitum.  

And I believe there was a poster who sort of said "who cares" if they discontinue the line.  Well, I care because I viewed my CL purchase as an investment in the TL lenses and if there is no good place to mount them in 5-10 years I will be VERY unhappy.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think that there is a misunderstanding : there will be no TL3 for sure. The team was dismantled in 2018. 
But there will be for sure a CL2. It already exists. But we do not know when it will be finally released. 
Several Leica stores were ready to sold it in April of this year. But plans changed. They were told to highlight the SL2-S instead with several promotions. 
Then they were told to wait until November. But now it changed again. No further date for now.
So be patient and enjoy the heck of your CL. It is still very competitive. 

6 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

I think that there is a misunderstanding : there will be no TL3 for sure. The team was dismantled in 2018. 
But there will be for sure a CL2. It already exists. But we do not know when it will be finally released. 
Several Leica stores were ready to sold it in April of this year. But plans changed. They were told to highlight the SL2-S instead with several promotions. 
Then they were told to wait until November. But now it changed again. No further date for now.
So be patient and enjoy the heck of your CL. It is still very competitive. 

How can you be so sure ??  EVERYTHING indicates right now that leica will NOT prioritize CL and when they are so silent still - then I can not imagine there will be a No. 2. But I hope not. 

I am sure because my Leica store has always been reliable with each new products release. 
They always told me in advanced and never has any mistake for years. 
Their own sources are Leica at Wetzlar. So how could they be wrong. 
They were very sorry about the late CL2. Because they told me to get ready for the new CL2. Leica has started to train Leica Stores managers. Then everything were cancelled. 

I almost sold my CL at that time ! Hopefully they told me super fast, that it was postponed until November. 
but it seems postponed even further. 

so wait and see. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

I am sure because my Leica store has always been reliable with each new products release. 
They always told me in advanced and never has any mistake for years. 
Their own sources are Leica at Wetzlar. So how could they be wrong. 
They were very sorry about the late CL2. Because they told me to get ready for the new CL2. Leica has started to train Leica Stores managers. Then everything were cancelled. 

I almost sold my CL at that time ! Hopefully they told me super fast, that it was postponed until November. 
but it seems postponed even further. 

so wait and see. 

Thanks for the information.  I hope you right.  I have TL2 11-23, 35 and 55-135.  + M optics and a MD. I started out with TL 35 but have become even more happy with TL2 since I got 11-23 and 55-135. Great system and I hope it will become more popular.

• Like 1

If this is correct it may be Autumn 2022 before we get the CL2. If you need a second body right now there must be some new CL stock still out there and presumably a few pre-owned TL2 and CL bodies going for good prices.

It’s not the end of the world yet…

I believe Leica is prioritising M11 first, but rumours said it is also postponed to next year instead of releasing it in November. If there’s really a CL2, that should be way further than M11.

I just bought a pre-owned CL with 23 and 18-56 lenses after contemplating on whether buying a CL now or wait for CL2. Even Leica is releasing a CL2 next month, CL is still a very capable camera that serves my need (It will be better if it has a joystick like the SL). I can use the body for a year or two and then trade it to get the CL2.

• Like 1

Because it is an improved camera which may appeal to a wider public - although not all M10 users may like it ;)  I strongly suspect that we will see a parallel production with some M10 variants, like the M10 and M240  had.

On 10/17/2021 at 12:57 AM, Le Chef said:

Actually no. I’m not seeking ‘attention’ thank you.  This IS what I was told and it came from a GM at Leica in Australia. 

I don’t want to get my friend in any hot water as it was a private conversation shared between the 2 of them. 

oh and this entire thread is full of speculation and yet you pick out my comment and have a personal dig because you don’t like it? 

I have a CL too - I hope it’s not true  

Edited by mmanda

2 hours ago, mmanda said:

Actually no. I’m not seeking ‘attention’ thank you.  This IS what I was told and it came from a GM at Leica in Australia. 

I don’t want to get my friend in any hot water as it was a private conversation shared between the 2 of them. 

oh and this entire thread is full of speculation and yet you pick out my comment and have a personal dig because you don’t like it? 

I have a CL too - I hope it’s not true  

l like facts, not hearsay. If you’re going to claim an inside source then do yourself a favor and ask them for the facts to prove it, otherwise you’re the one who looks less than credible.

Edited by Le Chef