Leica CL-2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, lct said:

The term "mirrorless camera" did not exist 50 years ago. Never seen any Leica M presented as a "mirrorless camera" in any Leica specs so far. But i may be wrong as often ;).

No. It was introduced with the advent of digital non-SLR cameras, I.e. the RD1 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 8:14 PM, FrozenInTime said:

If we are being pedantic, there is a mirror in the viewing path on every rangefinder 😉

Being even more pedandic, these are no mirrors but prisms :)

Prisms have a higher efficiency (providing a brigher viewfinder image). Mirrors are by itself less expensive but can make the complete system actually more expensive, since every mirror needs its own holding mechanism (and possibly adjustment), while a prism can integrate the functionality of several mirrors (the last prism for the focusing patch below provides actually two reflections).

Stefan

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

19 minutes ago, StS said:

Being even more pedandic, these are no mirrors but prisms :)

Prisms have a higher efficiency (providing a brigher viewfinder image). Mirrors are by itself less expensive but can make the complete system actually more expensive, since every mirror needs its own holding mechanism (and possibly adjustment), while a prism can integrate the functionality of several mirrors (the last prism for the focusing patch below provides actually two reflections).

Stefan

A prism is but a piece of glass - only when selected surfaces have metal deposited on them , i.e. mirrored surfaces, does the prism become useful in the rangefinder ( or SLR's pentaprism viewfinder ) 🙂

Hey, I was one of the heavies at school :), once, I went in the classbook for „igniting explosives during class“ * which earned me some respect with my classmates.

Being a pedantic heavy I should add that prisms work based on total internal reflection, coating it with Aluminium would reduce the efficiency to a mirror (which can be increased in multilayer systems, I found this article about reflecting light in practice rather good).

Stefan

* A classmate held a fuse wick under my nose and told me „you don't dare to light this“. Well, one of the things you never should tell a ten or twelve-ish old boy is „you don't dare“, my classmate dropped the ignited fuse in the box with his cracker collection and in the aftermath it was concluded that the delinquency was with the owner of the lighter, which got confiscated.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/5/2021 at 7:47 PM, Simone_DF said:

I'm not so sure about cannibalization. The SL as it is, is massive and heavy. If a full frame ILCE with smaller body size is important, at the moment Leica doesn't offer one, while Panasonic offers the excellent S5. I'm actually considering getting a S5 since they are on sale and I found one for 1300€.

What's an ILCE?

3 hours ago, SoCalLeicanator said:

For what it's worth, I did ask this of the Leica dealer where I purchased my CL.  The answer was that there is just a rumor that this will happen at all. They knew nothing.

If you read the first post then the thread starts with a rumor.  As we approach a CL replacement, rumors often become more reliable.

2 hours ago, Kim Dahl said:

If you read the first post then the thread starts with a rumor.  As we approach a CL replacement, rumors often become more reliable.

IOW we are no closer to the launch of a CL2 than we were a few months ago. I was also told by an AD that they had been told nothing by Leica AG.

Just checked - all bodies and lenses still listed as available at B&H. Black Cl body is out of stock, with more on the way. Silver body in stock. 

Maybe it was a kit with the lens and camera? 

1 hour ago, Ba Erv said:

Just noticed the CL and 18mm are listed as discontinued on B&H today.

58 minutes ago, oldwino said:

Just checked - all bodies and lenses still listed as available at B&H. Black Cl body is out of stock, with more on the way. Silver body in stock. 

Maybe it was a kit with the lens and camera? 

Yeah, I meant the kit with the 18mm.

I looked at B&H and they show that just the starter kits are discontinued.  Adorama shows them on backorder.  Leica's web page still shows the kits as being available as well as all the lenses.  

Personally, I'm happy with the CL the way it is but IBIS would be nice.  I've taken nice low light shots at high ISO's handheld without much noise or camera shake down to about 1/40th of a second.  I suppose there is always room for improvement though.  

I don't use the CL on a tripod much, but as someone used to a dedicated cable release I'm still getting used to using the phone app.  Haven't tried using the 2 second timer because that seems too short of time to let the camera stabilize and 12 seconds is a little too long, but I will deal with it.  

4 hours ago, Camaro5 said:

... Personally, I'm happy with the CL the way it is but IBIS would be nice.  I've taken nice low light shots at high ISO's handheld without much noise or camera shake down to about 1/40th of a second.  I suppose there is always room for improvement though.  

I don't use the CL on a tripod much, but as someone used to a dedicated cable release I'm still getting used to using the phone app.  Haven't tried using the 2 second timer because that seems too short of time to let the camera stabilize and 12 seconds is a little too long, but I will deal with it.  

A replacement for the successful Leica CL remains a rumour. The hinted launch date has passed. Meanwhile, some owners have already sold their CL cameras, prematurely I believe, and must be wondering what their next move should be.

Good used CLs are available in the marketplace and are often bought by photographers new to Leica ownership. It was during this uncertain period of unfulfilled expectations that I decided to pen some personal thoughts on the Leica CL, for my website. My sole aim was to help the next generation of owners of this fine versatile camera. If you are interested, you can find my article here https://david2008.photium.com/my-way-with-the-leica

If experienced owners with additional views on the Leica CL so wish, please add your thoughts as comments to join others, already published there. Thank you. (This is not a rival discussion, but a reference point for future owners).

Edited by wda
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3