Leica CL-2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There's a great deal of interesting and useful information for me in this thread.

I'm currently using my CL with M-mount, LTM and native L-mount lenses (Leica and Sigma), and I've been awaiting the rumoured CL2 as I will almost certainly buy one, if it arrives and has roughly the specs that have been talked about. However, as there seems to be as yet no definite news on this, I did consider the SL2-S, along with the Panasonic S5 offering as a possible answer, either long- or short-term.

Although I've compared the dimensions of the SL2-S against the CL, it had not been very plain to me how large that camera is until nicci78's comparison photographs here. Although the SL2-S would probably handle some of my bulkier lenses more comfortably than the CL does, it sheer size and weight is very offputting. I'll therefore be hanging on for news of the CL2.

• Like 1

Just now, Foxfan100 said:

There's a great deal of interesting and useful information for me in this thread.

I'm currently using my CL with M-mount, LTM and native L-mount lenses (Leica and Sigma), and I've been awaiting the rumoured CL2 as I will almost certainly buy one, if it arrives and has roughly the specs that have been talked about. However, as there seems to be as yet no definite news on this, I did consider the SL2-S, along with the Panasonic S5 offering as a possible answer, either long- or short-term.

Although I've compared the dimensions of the SL2-S against the CL, it had not been very plain to me how large that camera is until nicci78's comparison photographs here. Although the SL2-S would probably handle some of my bulkier lenses more comfortably than the CL does, it sheer size and weight is very offputting. I'll therefore be hanging on for news of the CL2.

Good decision IMO, as an owner of both CL and SL2-S. They are two very different cameras.

On 4/23/2021 at 4:14 PM, lct said:

You mean an L mount body sans rangefinder i guess. Automatic image magnification would not work for lack of mechanical link between the focus cam of M lenses and the body. Such a camera would fit M lenses the same good enough way as SL bodies currently. Also why putting an L mount on a manual body? If the aim is to make another AF camera there are plenty of them at Leica already. What we (at least i) miss is a mirrorless camera dedicated to M lenses, hence an M mount body. Take an M body, remove the RF put an EVF instead et voila ;). But such a camera would be full frame and would have nothing to do with the CL anyway.

Forgive me if i was not clear but all i was suggesting for the CL2 (alternatively named LR) to instead use a full frame sensor with higher MP count of say 40+, rather than continue with the aspc route. Higher MP takes into consideration of existing aspc tl lenses. In that way consumers can use a compact setup with TL lens and crop at say 24MP, but alternatively they can also use full frame L mount lenses aswell as M lenses at full frame if they wish. Also have just a global shutter to keep the compact form factor...they did the same for sigma fpl.

LR - L mount Rangefinderesque camera = CL with a full frame sensor.

Edited by cboy

How many people are waiting for CL2.

CL, must have quite a few shortcomings, there are those who have been with the camera for a short time and are already trying to buy CL2.

CL, looks a lot like the Leica Delux 7, D-lux 7 even lighter and with stabilizer.

I see a lot of strange people that CL is not sealed, I think that if the camera is sealed but the Lenses are not, the solution is not complete.

My princess is Leica TL2, aesthetically I fell in love with her from the moment I saw her. Now I begin to understand her, the interface that she carries requires a bit of learning and I am working on it.

So far I get along very well with the TL2, the shortcomings of its predecessors T and TL in slow focus have been overcome. (and some other things).

I'm wearing and testing TL, M, or LTM lenses, and without a hitch, some photos don't turn out the way I'd like, but it's my fault. The last acquisition I made was the Leica Elmar TeLe 135 F4 that I tried in a football game and some photos came out shaky and not focused but when I increased the speed because there was light to be able to do it everything changed for the better.

The 32GB of internal memory is wonderful. It got me out of some trouble.

Charging the battery via USB and downloading all the contents of the camera to the Mac computer is another very interesting function for me.

The Visoflex 20, and for me, has more positives than negatives.

This is my simple opinion, without pretending that it is the best and true.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, cboy said:

Forgive me if i was not clear but all i was suggesting for the CL2 (alternatively named LR) to instead use a full frame sensor with higher MP count of say 40+, rather than continue with the aspc route. Higher MP takes into consideration of existing aspc tl lenses. In that way consumers can use a compact setup with TL lens and crop at say 24MP, but alternatively they can also use full frame L mount lenses aswell as M lenses at full frame if they wish. Also have just a global shutter to keep the compact form factor...they did the same for sigma fpl.

I don't think it would be a CL then as CL = APS-C sensor. Full frame is for M and SL systems as you know. Some of us would like the camera you're describing though. Would be a compact SL like the Panasonic S5 sort of. A bit more beauty would not be unwelcome though ;).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

4 hours ago, cboy said:

Neither the Sigma fp nor fp-L has a global shutter, though both have only electronic shutters, which I guess is what you mean. A global shutter reads every pixel together, rather than row by row, like (almost?) all current consumer digital cameras of APSC size or bigger. If there was an affordable global shutter it would displace the mechanical shutter overnight, but the current electronic shutters have failings that mean most other manufacturers will not rely on them alone. 

Edited by LocalHero1953

4 hours ago, cboy said:

i was suggesting for the CL2 (alternatively named LR) to instead use a full frame sensor with higher MP count of say 40+, rather than continue with the aspc route.

That would make it a small SL, not a CL.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lct said:

I don't think it would be a CL then as CL = APS-C sensor. Full frame is for M and SL systems as you know. Some of us would like the camera you're describing though. Would be a compact SL like the Panasonic S5 sort of. A bit more beauty would not be unwelcome though ;).

Question about the pic of the CL at left, with a M-adapter-L: manual of my CL says that M lenses only usable in M or A mode, but your top screen says P mode, and shows f=5.6 while the lens aperture seems set at f=2, am I wrong or how did you so this?

1 hour ago, RM8 said:

Question about the pic of the CL at left, with a M-adapter-L: manual of my CL says that M lenses only usable in M or A mode, but your top screen says P mode, and shows f=5.6 while the lens aperture seems set at f=2, am I wrong or how did you so this?

Those are not real lenses and cameras. See: https://j.mp/3uiRWxe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lct said:

Those are not real lenses and cameras. See: https://j.mp/3uiRWxe

<OT>That website would be more useful if you could choose to have the lens mounts lined up or the sensor planes lined up. I don’t always find it so useful to have the cameras lined up by the back of the VF.</OT>

Meanwhile, back to speculation about what the CL2 should be ...

It's an important discussion, sorting out the name of the next member of the L-mount family. It started with the TL, then the CL as a nod to the old CL, and then the SL. An RL would not be appropriate for a M-sized body, because the SL is the true inheritor of the R line. It could be a ML, but only if it had obvious M genes in looks and functionality. Q and X are already taken. So perhaps a PL ? 

I doubt they will spend any timing faffing about with new names as you want to establish continuity and familiarity. Look at BMW with the 3 Series. Changing names every time you launch a new model is a recipe for marketing and financial disaster.

If they use common sense it will be CL-2

• Like 1

PL is the Arri mount and Leica already make PL Cine lenses so...

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Q and X are already taken. So perhaps a PL ? 

PL is the Arri mount and Leica already make PL Cine lenses so...no.

OT - any idea where the “T” came from?

Edited by NigelG

50 minutes ago, lct said:

Then it won't be FF. 

It wouldn’t be full frame anyway, not after investing in a range of TL lenses and partner lenses from the alliance. It would also likely mean cannibalization of the SL-2 if it were full frame. Frankly it would be business suicide to make it full frame.