Missing part in my 28 Summilux

Steven

1 minute ago, BJohn said:

There exists one alternative: https://www.overgaard.dk/Thorsten-von-Overgaard-Gallery-Store-2814-OUS-Hardware-for-Photography-Leica-28mm-Summilux-f14-Ventilated-Lens-Shade.html

Why do you use the lens without the hood? Well, you could get in touch with Leica directly and ask whether they can provide such a ring.

So ugly 😭😂 if anything I prefer the stock hood. Thanks for the help anyway! 

I use the lens without the hood mainly because it makes it 30% smaller, and also because I think it looks better. FYI, I use ALLL my lenses without hood. Even before Leica, I've never put a hood in my life as I find them big and cumbersome 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BJohn said:

There exists one alternative: https://www.overgaard.dk/Thorsten-von-Overgaard-Gallery-Store-2814-OUS-Hardware-for-Photography-Leica-28mm-Summilux-f14-Ventilated-Lens-Shade.html

Why do you use the lens without the hood? Well, you could get in touch with Leica directly and ask whether they can provide such a ring.

They don't provide a ring as the lens is intended to be used with the hood, this was discussed on this forum a few years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BJohn said:

There is a way towards the outer ring solution.

Ask Overgaard to fabricate keyed ring without outer hood shade. Alternatively buy Overgaard hood and cut off the outer shade, a good DIY person could certainly do it, people used to chop off petals from built in hoods on Voigtlander wides, also Nikon DX fisheye.

• Thanks 1

Is the missing part supposed to be silver or black? ;)

I suppose you bought a black one as I can still see 2x silver 28mm Summiluxes available in HK..

btw, thnx for the heads up that the 28mm slx doesn't come with a decorative ring, I feel your pain.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, junix said:

I suppose you bought a black one as I can still see 2x silver 28mm Summiluxes available in HK..

btw, thnx for the heads up that the 28mm slx doesn't come with a decorative ring, I feel your pain.

7 minutes ago, junix said:

I bought the black one because the silver one had 2,7k import tax on top of the price. So 10k total instead of 6,5k. Not worth it. 

so my ring is supposed to be black. 

4 minutes ago, Steven said:

I bought the black one because the silver one had 2,7k import tax on top of the price. So 10k total instead of 6,5k. Not worth it. 

Anyhow, black or silver.. it is a great lens, enjoy it! 

I'm probably going to get a black one too later during the year.. unless I fly to HK soon, I used to be in HK a couple of times per year before Covid19.

1 hour ago, Steven said:

There is no ring, Leica don't produce one for the 28 Summilux. See my previous posts.

51 minutes ago, Matlock said:

There is no ring, Leica don't produce one for the 28 Summilux. See my previous posts.

I must have been confusing the 21mm and 28mm summilux.

I checked the 28mm pouch; the end foam, which had secret storage on other lenses, is glued down.

The 28mm ring looks like this ; i.e. just a gap filler for the inner front.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gelatino said:

This http://camerapix.co.uk/index.php?id_product=170&controller=product is not exactly identical to the genuine one but it should do the job for 1/4th of the price. 

That link is for 49mm ring that screws into Lux 28mm filter thread.  This is about replacement  ring for the outer screw thread where the lens hood goes, that thread size is bigger than 49mm.

Just now, mmradman said:

That link is for 49mm ring that screws into Lux 28mm filter thread.  This is about replacement  ring for the outer screw thread where the lens hood goes, that thread size is bigger than 49mm.

That’s what I thought too. 

Somr assumptions need clarification.

Both Lux 28 and 35 FLE are supplied with screw in rectangular metal lens hood, also both lenses are supplied with additional ring.

For Lux 28 the ring has 49mm thread and it is screwed where Lens filter goes. The lens hood thread is between 52 and 55mm, I checked against standard filter threads. To best of my knowledge Leica does not supply substitute ring for lens hood.

For Lux 35 the ring is substitute for the lens hood.

The picture illustrates relationship between rings and original lens hoods, on 28 lens the ring drops into the hood, smaller than 52mm while on 35 lens it is same diameter as threaded part.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mmradman said:

Somr assumptions need clarification.

Both Lux 28 and 35 FLE are supplied with screw in rectangular metal lens hood, also both lenses are supplied with additional ring.

For Lux 28 the ring has 49mm thread and it is screwed where Lens filter goes. The lens hood thread is between 52 and 55mm, I checked against standard filter threads. To best of my knowledge Leica does not supply substitute ring for lens hood.

For Lux 35 the ring is substitute for the lens hood.

The picture illustrates relationship between rings and original lens hoods, on 28 lens the ring drops into the hood, smaller than 52mm while on 35 lens it is same diameter as threaded part.

Thank you. 

What a pity that there is no substitute ring for the hood of the 28 Lux. Very cheap. 

So for the 28 lux Leica assumes you will not use it with a filter but will use it with a hood while on the 35FLE Leica assumes you will use it with a filter and a hood.

Meanwhile in the land of the 50 1/1.4 Black Chrome you cannot use a filter with the supplied hood.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when these "top secret" decisions are being made. Im sure there is much fist shaking and yelling late into the night.😀

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Kwesi said:

So for the 28 lux Leica assumes you will not use it with a filter but will use it with a hood while on the 35FLE Leica assumes you will use it with a filter and a hood.

Meanwhile in the land of the 50 1/1.4 Black Chrome you cannot use a filter with the supplied hood.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when these "top secret" decisions are being made. Im sure there is much fist shaking and yelling late into the night.😀

Or just poor communication between lens product development managers............

• Like 2