21mm summilux and summilux questions

I'm afraid I disagree about the CV 21/4; it's inexpensive, and fine for B&W, but with colour on my M9 the 'Italian flag' colours at the side edges were a real problem. Not quite so bad when I got an M10 but they were still there. I eventually bought the SEM 21 and it's superb, though not an everyday lens. But as others have said, it's not an easy lens to use well, and your 24 may well be better.

2 hours ago, Musotographer said:

I'm afraid I disagree about the CV 21/4; it's inexpensive, and fine for B&W, but with colour on my M9 the 'Italian flag' colours at the side edges were a real problem. Not quite so bad when I got an M10 but they were still there. I eventually bought the SEM 21 and it's superb, though not an everyday lens. But as others have said, it's not an easy lens to use well, and your 24 may well be better.

The new Voigtlander 21mm f3.5 VM ASPH Vintage Line Color-Skopar  would be the one to go for, but agree better off with a 24mm..

Edited by pedaes

Dear All, 

I am thinking about getting the 21mm Sem for my next project which is to photograph a countryside village in Tuscany (people, fields, buildings, vineyards, olive groves, street markets, portraits, landscapes and so on). When I say village it is a town with a huge and varied surrounding countryside. So reportage you might call it.

BUT there are buts to the 21 Sem: 

1) I have a 24mm Elmarit ASPH which will probably be fine as my wide angle lens of choice. I also have the 28mm Elmarit ASPH, 35 Summilux ASPH (not the FLE version) and 50mm Summicron (IV, V). (28 and 50 bought on this wonderful forum btw). Plus a 75 Summicron ASPH. 

2) My dilemma is I once owned a 15mm Voigtlander Super Wide Heliar but it was way too wide for me (and my adorable M9 which I still have) so I sold it.

3) From what I have seen, and the reason I am tempted (if not yet convinced) is the Sem seems to be great at really wide open areas, street scenes and portraits (people in some kind of wider context), as well as interiors. This could be useful given than wine (my field of work) is not short of crowd scenes such as dinners, wine tastings with lots of people, hordes of grape pickers in the vines etc. Plus also the need to capture buildings eg the insides and outsides of of wineries, ruined Tuscany farmhouses, plus even staff preparing (for example) luxury bedrooms for incoming tourists.

I wondered if a 21mm is really going to give me something that much extra compared to the wonderful 24mm Elmarit ASPH, eg being out with truffle or boar or roebuck hunters (reportage, action), or for landscapes (vineyards, crop fields).

I have two bodies (M9 bought new, M10 bought as new via this forum).

Thank you for any suggestions.

41 minutes ago, NigelG said:

Thanks Nigel (and jrp). It was an interesting, enjoyable and thorough review of the Nokton, giving clear suggestions of its strengths and foibles and potential VFM. 

What I (also) particularly liked about the review was it gave me some ideas re my Tuscan project, particularly photography in wooded areas (the place where I am based has more forest now than it did in the 1860s...). My thoughts re 21mm were not a case of GAS, more a case of can I use it well enough to make the investment (whether Leica, Voigtlander or other reliable brands) worthwhile and create files that are markedly distinct and technically excellent compared to 24mm images (a focal length I feel comfortable with as long as I concentrate).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you have the 24mm, then the 21mm will be a bit better in some circumstances, but you will find it easier to change composition than to bother to change lenses.  The 18mm, perhaps, but even then it's a bit close to 24mm for the sort of shots that I take.  I suppose that is why people buy the wate.

• 4 years later...

Hi need advice on the 21 viewfinder. It sits perfect on my M9 but on the M10-P it is too loose. Any advice ?

Tnx

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 7/30/2019 at 2:36 AM, Fedro said:

1 - to remind you that the lens is not flat and sticks out (i.e. be careful not smash it)

2 - depends on the landscape, though 21 allows you to crop to both 24 and 28 if needed

3 - depends on the lens, ASPH vs non ASPH, version of the lens etc

is there a non-ASPH version of 21 lux?  I didn't know non-ASPH version exist.

1 hour ago, 30R said:

Hi need advice on the 21 viewfinder. It sits perfect on my M9 but on the M10-P it is too loose. Any advice ?

Tnx

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You could try getting earlier versuion of viewfinder one that has small lever to tighten it in hot shoe, or  use a piece of cardboard it might do the job

On 6/11/2024 at 4:50 PM, jaeger said:

is there a non-ASPH version of 21 lux?  I didn't know non-ASPH version exist.

It was a general response to his Q3 which was a general question

- summilux lens are more sharper than summicron at f4 5,6?

• 3 weeks later...

I started using leica over 60 years ago and have been through most of the range of various lenses. The very best wide angle I ever used for landscape was an ‘R’ series 19 mm Elmarit R - one superb lens, virtually no distortion and produced absolutely perfect images, but this was on 35 mm. I know some people still shoot 35 mm. but not many R cameras floating about these days! 

Mike j