Missing part in my 28 Summilux

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, 

sorry for the very specific and maybe selfish thread, but I need an info on something that google won’t help me with, so I must turn to LFU. 

I just bought a brand new 28 Summilux and I’m looking for a piece that I can’t find. 
On the 35 cron aspherical, when you remove the hood, you are provided with a ring in the box that you can screw on the lens instead of the hood, mainly for aesthetical purposes, but also to protect the thread of the lens. That ring is well hidden inside the pouch. 

I am very surprised not to find that ring in the box of my 6500 euro summilux. It feels pretty cheap from Leica not to bother to include it. I know they intend for us to use the lens with the hood., but I personally intend to never use the hood and I think it should be my choice. 

i remember reading about someone complaining about the same thing on a another thread that I cannot find anymore and someone said the ring was included in his box. Could any of you that own the 28 Lux check in their box to see if their is the ring ? 
if not do you guys know of any way I could find one of the right size? 

besides that, I’m extremely happy with the lens. I’ve been thinking about it for two months and finally took the plunge. It’s the most impressive lens I’ve ever tried right next to the 35 SL APO and the Q2. Strongly recommend it. 

thank you. 

1 minute ago, FrozenInTime said:

The dress ring was included with my 28 Summilux; under the foam in the leather pouch sounds right.

Can’t describe the mixed feelings of frustration and hope right now. 
would it be too much to ask to show me a photo ? I really looked everywhere and can’t find it. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is a ring, EDIT it is in the lid of the pouch where I put it after I bought the lens (see picture), it is not substitute for lens hood, it screws instead of the filter.

On 28mm I didn’t find any rings to screw-in instead of the lens hood, it is different with Summilux 35 where additional rings replaces lens hood.

I suspect with new lens the “missing” ring will be on the lens itself screwed where filter goes.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by mmradman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steven said:

Can’t describe the mixed feelings of frustration and hope right now. 
would it be too much to ask to show me a photo ? I really looked everywhere and can’t find it. 

You might find it in the spherical cap.

My 35 FLE "Protection Ring" was hidden in the spherical cap, and it took me a while to allocated it.

Edited by Erato

Had the same qn when I got the 28lux. No hood thread protection ring. There's for some reason a filter thread protection ring instead. On the 2 copies of the 28lux I had (black and silver) they both didn't have the hood thread ring. I just put a filter on and left the filter ring in the pouch.

I'd have loved for the 28lux to have come with a hood thread protection ring - the hood does make the lens a fair bit bigger and I'd have preferred to have used mine without the hood but wasn't keen on having those threads exposed. I know some people use the lens without a hood and with the hood threads exposed though.

I didn't find the ring in the package  of my Summilux 28 either and won't pay $50 to get one.

Surely it must exist a 49mm female thread ring on the web for less than $5. Worth looking for it...

Not in hurry because even if I find it it will take place in the foam that is in the leather pouch that is in the box that is in the outer box 😜

Edited by Gelatino

1 hour ago, ibramr said:

I wonder if we are talking about this part, here.  

Nope, this is the inner thread that you unscrew if you want to place a filter instead. We’re talking about the outer ring that replaces the lens hood, like on the summivron. 
huge disappointment that Leica won’t make or give one with a 6500 lens. 
a few people are reporting to have it, but it seems that they are confusing it with the inner ring. 

8 hours ago, mmradman said:

There is a ring, EDIT it is in the lid of the pouch where I put it after I bought the lens (see picture), it is not substitute for lens hood, it screws instead of the filter.

On 28mm I didn’t find any rings to screw-in instead of the lens hood, it is different with Summilux 35 where additional rings replaces lens hood.

I suspect with new lens the “missing” ring will be on the lens itself screwed where filter goes.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I can’t tell if it’s the inner ring that people confuse it with, or if you’re the only summilux owner who actually got the privilege to get a ring to replace the hood. 
In order to settle this, would you agree to remove the hood, screw in the ring and take another picture to show us ? 
would be very helpful. 

There is no such magic ring like what is provided with the Lux 35. There is only a ring which protects the filter thread, which at least in three of my Lux 28, was not in the leather pouch but directly installed on the lens.

**EDIT**

I had three different complete brand-new Lux 28 due to some quality issues and I got replacements until my level of satisfactory was reached.

Edited by BJohn

2 minutes ago, BJohn said:

There is no such magic ring like what is provided with the Lux 35. There is only a ring which protects the filter thread, which at least in three of my Lux 28, was not in the leather pouch but directly installed on the lens.

**EDIT**

I had three different complete brand-new Lux 28 due to some quality issues and I got replacements until my level of satisfactory was reached.

Same for me. Ring installed in the inner thread. Nothing outside though. Wich is a pity.